Home Cigar 101

Thanks Maduro

Just wanted to thank Maduro for talking me into getting the CigarOasis. I have had it in for about a week now and my humi is resting at a beautiful 66%. I had to set the Oasis at 73.0 not sure if this is normal but whatever gets my humidity up.... Just one question. You said you used beads with your Oasis, WHY??? is this just to get the humidity down during the more hmid months or what?????? Once again THANK YOU....

Comments

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Hey good to see you got it. I got mine in January and love it. I think that the reason people use beads as well as the CO is for a buffer for humidity, kind of like insurance. I don't use beads yet, just the CO, but I'm seriously thinking about getting them.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Foam wears out quicker than beads, and has a higher tendency to grow mold; replacing the foam with beads helps fix this
  • I second what bob said - sort of an insurance policy. I keep about 8 ounces of beads in my 150ct because I am compulsive and open my humi a bunch during the week. The beads make sure my RH is about 66-68 (personal preference) even when I open it as much as I do.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Doug, congrats on the Oasis purchase.

First, yes it is common for the hygrometer in the oasis to be very off and it tends to get more off the longer you have it. Never trust it.

Second, Yes the beads are for absorbing excess humidity. I live in Va Beach, its really humid here 3 out of the 4 seasons.

Finally like xMacro said the foam in the water cartridge will start coming apart and molding if you leave it in there too long. You can either buy a replacement cartridge every few months OR break apart the water cartridge, remove all the foam and fill it with something else. I filled mine with beads and have not had good luck with them. Once they start getting dry they get sucked up in to the fan and jam it. I'm probably going to order some of the poly crystals and give that a try.
  • Alright thanks guys thats what I wanted to know. This thing is working beautifully. Im sure this summer Ill have to put some beads in there to keep the humidity down a bit, but Ill probably just order a replacement cartridge for the CO its working too well for me like it is. I love it
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I'm probably going to order some of the poly crystals and give that a try.
    I picked up 6 ounces of crystals and am going to replace the foam in my Oasis with them...I've been very dissatisfied with how much water the foam absorbs, it just doesn't seem sufficient, I'm hoping the crystals work out and allow the Oasis to function as it should.