Home General Discussion

Cigar Oasis modifications

Anyone ever modded one of these? I got one off ebay for about $60, and now I'm trying to modify the water cartridge. How'd you guys open the water cartridge? Did you use any special tools to cut the plastic?

I've been looking at the XL and the XL plus - only difference seems to be that the XL plus has an extra hole in its cartridge, and they might've reversed the fan's airflow (XL blows air into the cartridge - anyone know if XL plus blows air into cartridge or sucks it out?). See here: Oasis XL and the Oasis XL Plus.

I figure if I can open the cartridge on the XL, I can cut a hole in the middle and make it into an XL Plus, then replace the foam with beads and just lay a mesh screen across the holes to prevent the fan from sucking up or scattering the beads

Comments

• My XL sucks air from the resevoir and blows it out of the top. if you were to put beads in there I do not think you will have a problem with the beads moving, The air is VERY gentle.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Damn, now that's an inspiration
  • I have a hydra unit...pretty much the same thing, do you guys think (based off of what was said on that forum) i could some how cut out the green foam out of my unit and replace with beads? I havnt had any problem with my Hydra unit, just curious.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont see why you couldnt but the beads are not an efficient way of holding large quantities of water. the polymers are.
  • just so happns that I have a **** ton of those polymers around...how much longer do you think in between refills? Right now i go a little over a month. In fact, I dont think I have touched it since mid Jan.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that depends on how big a tank you use. if you were just filling it with water (no green foam) then it would last even longer. in the link i provided the polymer is only there so that if it spills it wont ruin all the cigars. i dont have an oasis or any other active humidity device so i wouldnt be able to tell you much more about that.
  • ok...thanx for the info though.
    now that I think of it, I've read on other forums that some people take out the green foam and don't replace it with anything - they leave it as a tub of water and are just careful about not spilling it; no idea if the water splatters or if it works or not though
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I modded my Oasis. It is a pretty basic job, I took the tank apart and pulled out the foam, filled it with 6 ounces of crystal gel and glued the plate back on. The water holding capacity of the gel is so much greater than the crappy foam that was in there. So far the mod is working well and was very simpler to pull off, no fabricating parts or anything.
    How'd you get the tank apart? I've been trying to pry it off with a sharp knife and almost cut myself
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You just have to go at it with some finesse. Try to pry up one corner at a time and work towards the middle, once you get one end off the whole lid will come off pretty easy. Just work it slow.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hmmm. If the gel holds that much more water, I might try this with my Oasis II.