Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Nothing for me tonight as I'm having some nasal congestion problems that would ruin an otherwise great cigar.

But last night I decided to pick two cigars from my humidor and give them a whirl, the first being a Don Pepin Cuban Classic, torpedo style and the second one being a Romeo y Julieta Viejo, the "R" size.

I enjoyed both cigars, but I have to give the nod to the Romeo y Julieta. The only thing I can say that is negaitve about this cigar is that I found the draw to be a little on the tight side, but that hardly detracts from the wonderful flavors and aromas this cigar produced. It burned cool and even the entire time and the ash refused to fall until it had exceeded 2.5 inches in length, but oddly enough it went out roughly an inch from the head on its own, suppose it was telling me I'd had enough. I will purchase more of these in the future, actually I just did, but I'm sure there will be more.

The Don Pepin Cuban Classic was not bad by any means though. Conversly to the R&J, I found the draw on this cigar to be a bit looser than I would have preferred. This cigar burned cool until a bit past halfway when a bit of heat started coming through, though that did not detract one bit from the smoke. There were slight bits of some uneven burn, but the cigar always righted itself, and the cause may well have been a bad light on my part. A good cigar that I could consider purchasing again.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Last night I decided to have a 601 Habano Robusto. The cigar was good except the draw was rather tight. I'd consider it to be medium bodied (maybe a bit more) with woody, nutty flavors and a bt of spice.
  • BawbBawb Posts: 1

I have been experimenting of late with the flavor infusions of Drew Estates. I can say that I heartily endorse the squared off Javas.  Aside from a slight misadventure in the cutting, it was a most thouroughly enjoyable experience.

The draw was excellent and smooth with large volumes of smoke. But of course the whole reason for any of the Drew estate cigars is the intense flavor.  I have to say that this was one of the best smoking experiences of my admittedly limited experience.

The espresso and cocoa flavors reminded me of a sipping chocolate (very intense dark hot chocolate beverage). I think I have a new favorite smoke.

• mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    I'm smoking a Cohiba something. Its from a turkish vendor here in Iraq. Its a robusto sized cigar with a medium color and nice woody notes on it. The desert hasnt been too good to it, but the ones in my humidor will be better, but thanks to the military postal service, I have been scrounging for smoke lately. My poor cigars have no time to rest. I just made a big order, so hopefully that'll get me back in the black. Anyone want to put one of these in thier humi? Or maybe you should wait and read my review first.
  • LarryDLarryD Posts: 59
    A Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 and I'm having trouble putting it down! Very Nice to my novice taste buds
  • carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Wonderful smoke.
  • Yesterday I had a MAXX limited edition Vice, a Drew Estate Medusa, El Mejor Emerald
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its been a bit since ive smoked. work's been a pain in the butt. every day that im off, it rains or is too cold. every day that i work its sunny and perfect smoking weather. i hope my luck turns soon!
  • Gurkha Beast. Been sitting in my humidor for awhile, and it was calling my name today.
    Tonight..RP Decade..very smooth, enjoyable good smoke.
    Nice evening and had a few minutes to spare so fired up a Sosa Exclusive Petite Cetro Maduro. This was a little firecracker. Great burn, lots of smoke, and lots of spice (start to finish) with hints of cream and coffee.
  • btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    Tonight I am looking forward to a 5 Vegas Limitada 2006.   
    Tonight I had me a A. Fuente Don Carlos and couldn't have been more perfect. It had about 5 months in the humidor. Loads of cool smoke delivering sweet wood and leather with hints of spice every now and then. Was perfect with a rum and coke on a nice calm night.
    Time to try a new one....A. Fuente King B. Great looking and very firm. Some cedar (it was in a cedar sleeve), little woody, little toasty. The smoke was not bad, just wasn't great. Prefer the Hemingway or Don Carlos.
    After an early afternoon trip to my local smoke shop I choose my first Drew Estates Acid. I wasn't so sure about the whole flavor infusion essential oils thing but the Extraordinary Larry was far better than I expected. I love the size it had a nice easy draw with plenty of smoke, with great flavor through out.  I ended up smoking it down to the point it was too hot to hold then really thought about chewing the nub! I'm still not sold on the added oils but for today, I thoroughly enjoyed the smoke and hated to see it end. With a name like extraordinary larry, it can't go wrong!
    What a great evening. It had been raining all day and I had some yard bird & cow marinating since yesterday. All right, the rain finally stopped and the skies cleared. Fired up the grill and a Padron 64th anni natural Exclusivo with some Johnny Black and coke Very nice. After dinner, it was so nice outside I fired up a La Flor Dominicana Dbl Ligero Chiselito natural with some Sandeman Tawny Porto. What a great evening.
    today i smoked a CAO Italia piccolo (4 x 38 )

i think this one does better in a larger ring. it wasnt bad but it was hard for me to keep it cool enough. oh well... cant win em all.

im not sure whal ill smoke in the late night hours... i was dreaming of a 5 vegas series A (apocolypse) for quite some time now but every time i open the humi the gurkha regents are looking at me with those puppy eyes...

...not to mention the camacho 1962s
  • kaveniuskavenius Posts: 46
    It hit 56 degrees here in Michigan today, and it was perfect to sit in the garage, get some work done, and fire up my Montecristo Afrique Jambo. I just lit it up, and so far so good. Nice draw and plenty of smoke. Bottle of Jamison and a dash of coke helps take the edge off after a doozy at the office.
  • kaveniuskavenius Posts: 46
    LarryD... I haven't had that one yet, but the Blondie (for a shorter smoke) is quite nice, too. And for another Acid option, try the One. Another mellow but full of flavor stick.
  • i tried a cigar called a Palmas.  it was a custom rolled cigar with a cuban filler.  it was very nice.  you can only get this cigar from magic city tobacco shop in birmingham alabama.  very nice

i ended up with the 5 vegas. maybe if i have time today ill grab one of those gurkhas.
  • drove to chapel hill form charlotte nc yesterday(2 hours) on the way up i smoked an acid something. it had a flavord wrapper. kind of an odd feeling wanting to lick the cigar. on the way home today i smaoked a 5 vegas somehting that cusccrstud21 gave me cause imma mooch. it was killer. loved it.

tonight imma hit up a 5 vegas gold.
    i hear great things
    Had a Oliva Serie G Camaroon Double Robusto. Wasn't very impressed with this smoke. This was the first time I have had this smoke. Maybe I got the bad one out of the bunch. Anyone else have any input on this cigar?
    carmike22:
    Had a Oliva Serie G Camaroon Double Robusto. Wasn't very impressed with this smoke. This was the first time I have had this smoke. Maybe I got the bad one out of the bunch. Anyone else have any input on this cigar?
    I had to go back to my reviews and my notes indicated I wasn't impressed either.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Tonight was the first in a while the sun came out. It was a very beautiful day, 55 degrees with a chilly breeze. I went to my usual smoking spot at the park, turned on some dream theater and smoked a rocky patel edge that kuzi gave me in the PIF. Always a pleasure to smoke a rocky patel. It burned perfectly even with the moderate wind.
  • Today my cousin and I had a Drew Estate Java
  • phishermanphisherman Posts: 79
    Yesterday while doing yard work I had a Puros Indios Robusto. This is the first cigar I have had in this line. Pleasent smoke, medium body with woodsy and slightly nutty flavors. Tasted pretty good and burned pretty well. Not bad. Nothing outstanding, but a solid smoke.
    had a 5 vegas shorty. this my third one ever. still dont like them. cant win em all ?
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    kuzi16:
    had a 5 vegas shorty. this my third one ever. still dont like them. cant win em all ?
    Scott (biggeek69) actually sent me a few of these when he bombed me for my first PIF back on amback. I didnt think they were that bad. I think he had them for a while though before he sent them to me.

As for my smoke planned for later today. I'm going to see if my B&M got some Cameroon Nubs in, if not then maybe the CAO CX2 Toro i buried in my humi 3 months ago. Kinda curious to see what it's like too. I tend to like CAOs
    A few months back I was gifted a couple Elevation Havana Legends. The first one was sooo bad it jumped right out of my hand and went across the street. I need some room in one of my humidors and decided to smoke the second. I really wasn't expecting much, however I was pleasantly surprised and nubbed that puppy. It's funny what aging will do for a cigar.