Home Cigar 101

Mini Fridge set up

Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
I just got a mini fridge from my brother that he used when he was in college. I was thinking of setting it up so I have a place to keep boxes since my humidor isnt large enough to hold them. I have been looking into what to line it with and I was wondering what you guys think of lining it with lauan seeing that spanish cedar is pretty hard to get here. I have read that it can be used in place of spanish cedar but before I use it I thought I would check with everyone here. I have empty cedar boxes to put in there as well so I am just looking for lining and shelves. I will probably even get a few cedar trays to put in as well.

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I had a hard time getting the humidity below 80 percent in my fridge. Eventually I just bought another humidor.... Good luck with it.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I wouyldn't line it with anything, you wont have a problem keeping the humidity up in a fridge. If you are going to be storing boxes in it there is no need for a cedar lining either as the boxes are cedar (most of the time...). Make sure that you wipe it down good with a water-vinegar mix to kill anything that might be living in there and then toss in some waded up news paper to get rid of any odors.

As far as trays go, there are a couple sites you can get them from, or you can contact Waxingmoon, and maybe Cabinetmaker to see if they can help you out with that. The cedar boxes you have are a great, and inexpensive, way to store extra singles as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is, just make sure it is clean and odor free and you are pretty much set. If you plan on doing aging use something made of cedar to store the sticks in. Other than that, enjoy your new storage!
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I was wondering if I even needed to line it so thanks on that. I didnt think the humidity would be to much of an issue I am going to get 1lb of beads and see how that goes. Although do I need a fan? I was looking for something like the oust fan but since they dont make them anymore any help on something like that would be appreciated.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I noticed that they stopped making them... Check ebay or aomething like that maybe. I know there are fans that you can buy from some of the cigar sites but they get pricey. A fan would definitely help you out though. If not, just get a couple of those $7 hygro's from walmart and watch it to make sure it stays even.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude computer fan and a 9volt just saying....
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Google "110V molex" and do your comparison shopping there. Most of those converters are under $20, run off wall power and will let you run ~5 computer fans.

stephen_hannibal:

+1
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Last I checked, Heartfelt sold those oust fans. But maybe he is out of them. Do you guys run the fridge with the cooling or just use the insulation and the seal with the larger size to act as a humidor?
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    stephen_hannibal:
    Good idea but arent computer fans 12v. Wouldnt that kill and or overheat the battery? If it would work this is the way I would go because that would be so easy. Good call if so.
    Dustin1981:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Good idea but arent computer fans 12v. Wouldnt that kill and or overheat the battery? If it would work this is the way I would go because that would be so easy. Good call if so.

its what i used for the sort time I had my mini fridge