Home Cigar 101

Build my own Humidor

Hi there, I am a new member to this site. I have been smoking cigars for about half a year. I usually buy a couple at a time and smoke them within a few days. I want to start keeping a supply and have read on what is needed to keep them fresh. I want to build my own humidor using spanish cedar. All I have found is humidors with spanish cedar lining. Will it be better to build one out of solid spanish cedar? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Search the forum. You'll find a recent discussion of this very subject.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think you could build a much more aesthetically pleasing humidor from a nice hardwood and line it with Spanish Cedar. I would love to have a humidor made of dark Cherry wood, or perhaps Oak. I'm sure you could go the solid SC route, but it would look better if it were lined with SC and constructed of a nice hardwood exterior.
  • I have recently gotten into building humidors for fun.  It isn't difficult at all.  I'd use some other type of wood other than Spanish Cedar for the box and just line it with 1/4" SC.  SC is somewhat difficult to work with, not to mention its expensive.  So far I've used pine, mahogany, and cedar (not spanish but regular).  The most difficlult part is creating the air tight seal.  If you'd like some more details or pointers just let me know, and I can help you learn from my mistakes. 
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Sounds like that would make a good "How To" thread!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    seriously, it would be a good thread.

if i ever get to building one (could be a while) ill post the entire proscess from selecting the wood to pulling the first cigar out of it and smoking it.

...a LONG while...