Home Cigar 101

Empty Humidor

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a small humidor, a 20 count that I started with (don't we all?). Since I now have two large ones for aging and smoking, I use the small one for infused cigars, mostly Tabak Especiale.

I am temporarily out of infused cigars and the humidor is empty. I've left the humistick or whatever it's called and the fully charged puck in the empty humidor. My question is: as long as I keep it humidified, is it a problem that it is empty?

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    It should not be a problem when empty. The only thing that needs to be done is to open it once or twice a month to let some air circulate. That way, you won't end up with any mold. Keep an eye on the rh and all should be fine.

• MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    My 10 cents worth :- I'd be more concerned about NOT keeping it humidified! If it dries out you will need to re-season prior to putting stogies in it lest the humi will suck the moisture out of them.

• ljlljl Posts: 819
    My $.02 - now's the perfect time to figure out how to ditch the puck. I'd get a small tube of bead charged and switch them out.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    My question is: as long as I keep it humidified, is it a problem that it is empty?
    the humidor itself will be fine now and in the future as long as you keep it humidified. it will keep better, more stable RH with cigars in it.

on an unrelated note, it is a HUGE problem that you have an empty humidor. fix it.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    YankeeMan:
    My question is: as long as I keep it humidified, is it a problem that it is empty?
    the humidor itself will be fine now and in the future as long as you keep it humidified. it will keep better, more stable RH with cigars in it.

on an unrelated note, it is a HUGE problem that you have an empty humidor. fix it.
    We're working on that!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree with Kuz on this one, it's a much bigger problem that you have an empty humi.