Home Cigar 101

Boxes in your humi

FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
I have an end table humidor. I have 4 boxes in there (all fuente cedar boxes) they form a nice little nest for my bag of beads.

Humiditiy is holding steady at 68%, I recharge about every 7-10 days.

My question: is the humidity making it through the boxes and into the cigars?
Should I chop the tops off the boxes?
Should I put my hygro into one of the boxes to test and ensure thiat its proper humi levels in there?

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    They'll be fine closed box as long as humidity in humi is good, I have a cooler that i have a couple boxes in, I merely use the boxes to hold the sticks, they are overflowing so lids can't be shut...humidity should be fairly constant in the humi and boxes...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Fourtotheflush:
    My question:
    is the humidity making it through the boxes and into the cigars?
    Should I put my hygro into one of the boxes to test and ensure thiat its proper humi levels in there?

1) It should get through, though it'll take longer since the humidity needs to first penetrate the box, then penetrate the cellophane, then get into the cigars
    2) Not sure - so I'll pass on this one
    3) Couldn't hurt if you did it for a day or so - put it in at night so it has 7-8 hrs for the humidity to settle down and get a good reading

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    is the humidity making it through the boxes and into the cigars?
    yes
    Fourtotheflush:
    no
    Fourtotheflush:
    if you are still scared... why not.

humidors are sealed with a varnish not just to make them look good. this also helps humidity from escaping through the wood. unless the boxes have been sealed, the humidity should be getting in.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Gotta agree with everyone. Boxes in the humi are fine. They are made for that in the first place. Most cigars in boxes are not in cellophane anyway, so don't worry about that. Just let them sit in your humidor and don't forget to smoke one once in a while to see how they are doing.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Phew, I got momentarily paranoid after reading another post. The cigars have been in there for a few months and are all smoking fine. So no worries.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I used to worry about it too until someone pointed out to me that it's how they're stored at B&Ms and such until it reaches you.

I should re-write that sentence to be clearer, but not right now.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about 8 boxes or so in my cabinet with the oldest being well over a year old, never have worried about it and the cigars smoke just fine. Like everyone else says, as long as the humidity in the humi is good, so are your boxes, in my experience. Hope this helps and this hobby is to cure stress not create it.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Easy questions to answer for yourself!

Walk into your local B&M, walk into their walk in humidor, look at what the gars are stored in!!! :)

Just noticed Russ55 pretty much alreay answered the same
    That's two of us agreeing, Y'all can quit panicing now :)