Options

Gurkha Black Dragon Robusto

Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
Size: Robusto 4.5" x 52
Strength: Medium - Full
Wrapper: Connecticut Maduro
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Dominican

Pre-light: The cigar smelled like rich tobacco and dark cocoa. Pre-light draw, there was a rich tobacco taste and what I recognized to be a distinct green or even white tea note (I'm a big tea snob, so I know a lot of different teas), though it could be seen as somewhat "earthy," I clearly recognized tea. There was also a hint of spice detected in the pre-light draw.

Construction: Construction was top notch, the cigar burned evenly all the way down, ash held tight and the draw was perfect. Nuff said.

Body: I'm not going to go into first quarter, half way, since this cigar was so small. Upon lighting, there was a rich spice and dark cocoa/chocolate. After a few puffs, a strong coffee or espresso note joined the fun. As the cigar progressed, the dark cocoa continued as did the spice. The spice was a pleasant tingle on the tongue, not that back of the throat burn that you get with more harsh cigars. Toward the end of the cigar, I detected a subtle sweet note that I just couldn't place - it was lingering way in the background.

Overall: I liked this cigar, but it's short size caused me to be left wanting more. Not even necessarily more of the same cigar, but just more. Maybe the larger sizes are more satisfying, I'll have to give one a try. If asked, I would recommend this cigar if presented at a reasonable price and I'd say go for the Imperial Presidente (7"x56). That should give a slightly more complex smoke and a much longer lasting experience.

Comments