Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

CAO VR

Tried the CAO VR last night... WOW! What a nice cigar. I will attempt a bit of a taste review, which I don't usually do, so here goes.

This was I believe what they call a "Moby" 6 x 50

Started out a little spicy and had a strong pepper flavor for about the first 1/2 - 1 inch.

The cigar settled down a bit after the first inch and there was definatley a woody flavor with this one. This was the first cigar where I could realy taste different flavors, with a toasty flavor (can't describe it any better) thru out the whole cigar. Very Nice!

As the cigar got smaller (about 2 - 3 inches) it started to take on a little spice and pepper again, but it didn't last long this time again. This cigar definatley changed a few times during the smoke. I would't say I could taste coffee, or chocolate or anything that defined but there were a selection of flavors thru out this whole cigar, some of which I could define, other's I couldn't. It was a GREAT smoke. I never felt over powered by it at all.

The final thing about this cigar was for me the most impressive. The ash on this cigar was unreal. The first ash dropped at no less then 2 inches long! Then the second (there were only two!) ash was still on the cigar when I put it down at around an inch - or an inch and a half!!! The ash was light grey, some darker grey also, and was VERY firm. I had to touch the ash in the ashtray just to see, and it was hard on the outside but completely crumbled once the outer crust was penetrated. Is that a good sign? I don't know.

All in all, this was a GREAT smoke, and one I will be looking for in the future.

Comments

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I really like the VR too. It's in my top 10 for sure. I would buy a box if it wasn't for me wanting to try so many others.
  • Options
    Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    ive been looking at CAO its a super popular brand that makes all sorts of cigars idk which one is the best but i definiatly like the brand and its credibility
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are just starting on CAO id start with the black and the gold.

if you want a bit more power, try the italia or the brazilia. Personally i like the italia more. Most seem to like the brazilia more.
  • Options
    Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    i would probably try the black just bcuz i have found that the gold in most brands have been too mild for me. also why do u like the italia more? wats the difference in flavor between the two?
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    As a matter of fact I have the Brazila yelling my name in the humi. I think I'll smoke it tonite...grin
  • Options
    i just think the italia is more complex. the brazilia is a good rich maduro. its a good cigar. but i think the italia is smoother, Rounder, less leathery, and has a softer finish. it is a very different blend from the brazilia.
    the italias blend is:
    wrapper: Honduran
    binder: Honduran
    filler: Italy, Nicaragua, Peru

the brazilia's blend is:
    Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
    binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan.

both are full bodied in nature.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    the italia seems much better with different blends and more interesting flavors and opportunity. umm wat does round mean pertaining to a cigar?
  • Options
    umm... thats a harder question. its a rounder flavor. its has depth. it isnt flat or static. there is more than one flavor going on. its full and rich.

not that the brazilia isnt complex, i just think the italia has more to it.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    hmm so i guess if ill just have to smoke more to figure that one out
  • Options
    its all prefrence.

what is in the blend really doesnt matter as long as it tastes good when its lit.

an OpusX is all Dominican. thats a great cigar. more countries in the blend does not mean more complex all of the time.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    The Brazilia is very good. I can't speak to the Italia, although I have one, that I'm just itching to light up. I can't wait now that Kuz says he actually likes that one better.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd go for it Ron, it is a god cigar in my book. I'm the opposite, I can't speak to how the Italia compares to the Brazilia as I've not had a Brazilia... though I have one or two that I'm itching to light up...perhaps I've got my cigar for tonight picked out.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I'd go for it Ron, it is a god cigar in my book. I'm the opposite, I can't speak to how the Italia compares to the Brazilia as I've not had a Brazilia... though I have one or two that I'm itching to light up...perhaps I've got my cigar for tonight picked out.
    rdnstn:
    The Brazilia is very good. I can't speak to the Italia, although I have one, that I'm just itching to light up. I can't wait now that Kuz says he actually likes that one better.
    geeez guys. get smokin!!

seriously, both are good smokes and i could see why someone would like the brazilia better than the italia. I just like the italia better. If someone handed me a brazilia i would not be upset at all. in fact i would be very happy.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    IMHO the Italia is definetly the better of these two. The Brazilia IMHO has been very one dimensional, JMO, for what thats worth.