Home Ratings & Reviews

5 Vegas

Although i havent had too many cigars so far lets say around 6 or 7 but i have enough knowledge and a solid enough palette to effeciantly review this cigar. the 5 vegas are usually known for there more mild cigars that are a great smoke for a great price. here is my review on the 5 Vegas Gold

i took the cigar out with great anticipation ive been waiting a while to try this cigar and i figured this would be the perfect moment.

I took a pre-draw too make sure it wasnt plugged. the wrapper was a nice conneticut it wasnt sweet but it had a great flavor the draw had a faint taste of wood.

the light was great it burned unevenly for a little but that was my fault and easily fixed upon correction.

the first section of the cigar was incredible i was truly impressed there was a strong peanut or nut like smell that was sensational. but this faded about a quarter of the way through

then came the wood flavors but it wasnt very strong just a hint and this section was also toasty but it wasnt as strong as the begginning

the flavor then stayed consistant til about the 3 inch mark inches of the cigar. it seemed to get a little boring but it still tasted good. howver at around 2.3 inches i ran into multiple problems

maybe this is because im a inexperienced smoker but the taste was really charred and it definiatly was not over heated and the wrapper became very brittle and i had to peel it off. by then i was fed up with it and let it burn out.

overall this was one of the better cigars ive had i really enjoyed it i smoked this cigar for about a hour and 45 minutes. i definiatly got to experience some new flavors that i really enjoyed. i could see the 5 vegas Gold as a great morning or everyday cigar. It is great for an range of experience and i would definiatly recommend it i while try this cigar again in due time i wnt to sample some others first. i have some other 5 vegas cigars in my humi but im gna wait on those and try sum other brands, flavors, and etc.

i would say a 7.5/10 mayb even a 8 im not sure it was great though. let me know what you guys think about this cigar.

also im looking for a cigar with a sweeter wrapper but on the medium side i know the maduro wrappers are sweet but im always concerned that they will be too strong however i am aware that it is a common misconception

also i would appreciate the feedback on my review considering this is my first one and im sure there are mistakes here or there.

thnx

-Dan

Comments

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    A Miami (5 Vegas) is fairly sweet (Corojo wrapper) but is a medium bodied smoke... It's one of my personal favs... Very unique and has hints of .... spice? in it....
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    sounds great ill give it a try.

that was actually wat i was looking for, i want a medium body the milds just dont do it for me
  • BigDan.:
    sounds great ill give it a try.

that was actually wat i was looking for, i want a medium body the milds just dont do it for me

Connecticut wrapper cigars don't have to be mild. If you are looking for a medium body in a Conn. wrapper, I would suggest the Sol Cubano Connecticut. It is a little more full than the 5 Vegas Gold, but still has that characteristic Conn. wrapper flavor. I personally love both.

The 5 Miami is also a really nice cigar, but you're changing two things at once with that comparison (strength and wrapper).

As for the cracking wrapper, you probably need to let your cigars rest in the humidor a little longer. Even though ccom has humidified shipping, I still find that I need to let my new sticks rest for 1-4 weeks. It really cuts down on problems like the one you describe. 5 Vegas Gold has never given me trouble when I rest them sufficiently.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Dan , maybe slow down a little while smoking them too, I know it's hard, and I rush it often, but give yourself time to R-e-l-a-x with it. don't hit it every ten seconds. Often if I smoke too fast I notice a sudden change in the flavor for the worse. Try that some time it may be the answer to a better experience.
    actually i took my time with this one i took almost two hours two get to where i ended i was reading a book tht i was really into so like actually i was more worried about the cigar burning out. ive noticed that reading helps me to not smoke it like a chimney haha. and ya im gna try to let em rest i guess. i actually recieved a few cigars from a fellow board member aka jozer and that cigar was one of the ones he gave me so idk how long he had it for
    hey guys , i would really appreciate it if you can give me advice on how the review went if it was helpful what i could add or take out etc. thanks
    ok so here is my second review.

Indian Tabac. Nonpareil

i was really intrigued by this cigar and the small robusto seemed perfect for a early morning smoke. I was all hyped up i did my research and i was ready to go.

i go to cut the cigar and get ready for my dry draw. mayb i cut it wrong but i parely nicked the sucker and the whole thing unraveled on my ass. i also noticed that the wrapper was unraveling at the foot. the dry draw was nearly impossible it tasted super spicy and i had to try insanely hard. i got a paperclip to see if it was plugged but i was still incredibly disappointed.

anyways i go to light it and i have my technique down now so it was good about a 1/5 of the way the sucker started burning super uneven i found myself correcting this problem a few times

the taste was pleasant very mild it was good for the morning. a little toasty and a very very light nutty sent and flavor it stayed the same throughout tho which is fine bcuz i dont need a complex cigar to wake up to i just wanted to read the paper and my book.
    it finished with a harsh flavor tht was unpleasany

i was a little disappointed with this cigar, once it was going it was great which was about a third of the way into it until about the last 2 and a half inches but it was just a hassel to deal with. i would try this again but i would be a little hesitant
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Bummer about the ITC, I didn't really like that one myself and I was hoping you'd have better luck with it. The split was probably my fault as I accidentally let them get a bit on the dry side. Glad to hear you enjoyed the 5 Vegas though, the Gold is my second favorite mild cigar.
    ya i was actually really looking forward to the ITC im gna try another one tho mayble ill let it sit for a while. ya the five vegas was great im gna try the classic soon. i think im gna have the adwani today tho just bcuz im curious about it and not very many ppl know about this cigar or have access to it.
    btw thanx again for the smokes its really appreciated
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not a problem Dan. As long as you enjoy them and maybe learn a thing to two, then I'm happy.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Nice work on the review, Dan. You may want to give that Flor de Oliva a try. They're really good cigars, and they've got a sweet cap on them (which you may find a bit distracting). They also make a maduro version without a sweetened cap. I know I'd had Flor de Oliva before, and don't remember the sweetened cap, so this must have been waht I'd tried. They're an excellent bargain.
    Oh yeah.. one more thing, Dan

If you're looking for sweetness from your wrapper, but the Flor de Oliva I mentioned is too far overboard, try out some cigars with the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. Which cigars are these, you ask? Here are a few off the top of my head:

ccom Cuban Label
    Playboy by Altadis
    La Herencia Cubana
    Oliva Special S
    Trinidad
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    La Flor Dominicana Ligero
    La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero
    Rocky Patel Sun Grown
    Punch Rare Corojo
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:

If you're looking for sweetness from your wrapper, but the Flor de Oliva I mentioned is too far overboard, try out some cigars with the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. Which cigars are these, you ask? Here are a few off the top of my head:

ccom Cuban Label
    Playboy by Altadis
    La Herencia Cubana
    Oliva Special S
    Trinidad
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    Rocky Patel Sun Grown
    Punch Rare Corojo
    im gunna add to this.

my last review... Nording by Rocky Patel.
  • dutyje:
    Nice work on the review, Dan. You may want to give that Flor de Oliva a try. They're really good cigars, and they've got a sweet cap on them (which you may find a bit distracting). They also make a maduro version without a sweetened cap. I know I'd had Flor de Oliva before, and don't remember the sweetened cap, so this must have been waht I'd tried. They're an excellent bargain.

I'm not saying everyone has to, but I personally find the sweetened caps nasty. I had a Sol Cubano Sumatra earlier this week that nearly made me gag pre-light. Sweet is not my thing!
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    MaduroScott:
    dutyje:

I'm not saying everyone has to, but I personally find the sweetened caps nasty. I had a Sol Cubano Sumatra earlier this week that nearly made me gag pre-light. Sweet is not my thing!
    I think it depends... I too have had a few sweetned caps that made me pretty much gag too... I don't know what they use, but some of these have a very bad almost artificial sweetner like taste... Almost like getting a mouth full of sweet'n'low or something...

On the other hand, I have had a couple that were nice... In fact, the one Joe sent me that was sweetend with cognac... That was a damn fine smoke... The cap had just a touch of the cognac sweetness and it was VERY nice...
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:

ccom Cuban Label
    Playboy by Altadis
    La Herencia Cubana
    Oliva Special S
    Trinidad
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    Rocky Patel Sun Grown
    Punch Rare Corojo
    im gunna add to this.

But that wasn't an EcSu
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:

ccom Cuban Label
    Playboy by Altadis
    La Herencia Cubana
    Oliva Special S
    Trinidad
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    Rocky Patel Sun Grown
    Punch Rare Corojo
    im gunna add to this.

But that wasn't an EcSu
    true, but it is sweeter. in general you are correct about those wrapper, but if a good taste comes out of a different wrapper, so be it.
    I wake up this morning looking forward to todays smoke. I grab a few cigars and my cutter and lighter

and a book and head off to starbucks. i have found that there tend to be many cigar enthusiasts at my local starbucks and its been a great conversation piece. any how.....

i get a vanilla latte and i take my seat prepared to just let go and relax

the first two cigars i pulled out just didnt seem right one had a wrapper issue where it was falling off and the other was super hard and i wanted to let it sit a little longer

this left me with a 5 vegas classic it seemed a little too soft but i wanted to give it a shot

the prelight was ok all though the wind did not **** help at all

the first draw was a little harsh, yes i did blow out and light it correctly, so i let it sit for about a minute or so until my next draw, well about the first 1/5 of the cigar had that bitter taste which wasnt too pleasant but i was determind to keep going.

well after the first 1/5 a leathery aroma and taste came through that was shocking yet pleasant

this led into a very tasty toasty flavor that i enjoyed greatly

the cigar had a lot of burn out issues but i really got the hang of cigars through smoking this one from my own personal preference for a draw and tasting to my own lighting technique and my overall smoking technique.

i wouldnt say this is a fantastic cigar but it was pretty good. the ring gauge was very small. i do have a bigger one in my humidor that i will let sit for a while.

i would give this a 6/10 it was good but i think there are way better medium bodied cigars with much less problems. i probably re-lit this one like 6 or 7 times
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    NICE!
    haha thank you, any suggestions? any recomendations?
  • Give the 5 Vegas another chance...without the wind maybe. They are not bad at all.
    i dont think its bad i just dont think its terrific and ya the wind was a mother **** and i definiatly will. like i said i have another one in my humi and i have the A and another gold so ill definiatly b giving these another shot
    ok well ive noticed that the cigars that ive liked have all been robusto sizes. is this good i dont really know but i enjoy them so ya. i had a fonseca this morning and loved it. it was a perfect smoke i wish it went forever. however ive found that like the super long ones are just overdoing my palette and not smoking right and its just been a mess

does anybody know why i might like these more? any suggestions? any thing similiar to a robusto that would be good to try? i also really like the medium bodied cigars. also what does it mean when reviews say a robust flavor?
    BigDan.:
    ok well ive noticed that the cigars that ive liked have all been robusto sizes. is this good i dont really know but i enjoy them so ya. i had a fonseca this morning and loved it. it was a perfect smoke i wish it went forever. however ive found that like the super long ones are just overdoing my palette and not smoking right and its just been a mess
    I've noticed that I like the flavor of the Camacho 1962 better in a robusto instead of a churchill. I'll leave the explanation to the experts here.
    BigDan.:
    any thing similiar to a robusto that would be good to try?
    Try these, all 5-5.5 inches in length:
    Oliva O perfecto
    Camacho 1962 Perfecto
    Onyx Torbusto and Mini Belicoso
    Rocky Patel Edge Missile
    Rocky Patel 1990 Mini Belicoso
    Gurkha Master's Select Perfecto #2
    Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic 1979
    La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel Gorda
    BigDan.:
    also what does it mean when reviews say a robust flavor?
    marketing
    hmm thats really interesting to me how the length of a cigar can dramatically change its flavor and smoke. im ready to hear more haha (waiting on the pro's).

thank you for your help with the recomendations
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Read the latest CA. It has a list of some of the big Cigar makers and their favorite Vitolas. Most of them are choosing the Robusto size. They give explanations on why. I can copy a few if I have some time today.
    haha actually you dont have to go through all that work i subscribe to it i read it a few times i just dont pay attention to the size but im curious as to why they are better. it sort of sucks though because its short and sweet and like you want more when your done hmmm thats probably a good thing for these companies. anyhow................... thanks
    Neat idea, Dan... maybe the manufacturers prefer the sizes that carry the highest margins :)

Anyway, I'm suprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. It's not the size that counts, it's how you smoke it.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    This could also go in the pronouncing thread but how do you say robusto?
    Ro - Boost - Oh
    or
    Ro - Bust - Oh
    ..... I say the first