Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gurkha G3

Well, its a rather common smoke compared to other Gurkha sticks; perhaps not necessarily worthy of a long review, but I am relatively new to cigars, so I've decided to give the review thing a go. The G3 smelled very good, and even though I am a bigger fan of the mild and medium bodied smokes, I read up on this one before I tried it...so I knew what I was in for. I went to my father's house to visit today and he and I each smoked. (He had a ccom Cuban Label which he enjoyed very much btw.) He gave me the G3 because he really doesn't like the full-bodied smokes as much, and although they are not my favorite either, I enjoy trying all different types of smokes to get an idea of the vast multitudes of flavors that I can get on my palette. The pre-light draw was spicy-sweet, probably a combination of the strong spicy fillers and the taste of the maduro wrapper, and it had a very raisiny flavor. The first quarter of this cigar was harsh to my palette, and at first I thought I just might have found a Gurkha that I didn't like. The dominant flavor was certainly pepper, with only hints of peat. The burn was perfectly even and slow. However, after gritting my teeth to get through the first quarter (because I really hate to waste a smoke) the pepper flavor leveled off instead of being overpowering, and it meshed well with the peat, and then a raisin flavor also meshed with the others. As the stick neared the sweet spot, the raisin flavor took over as the prevailing flavor, and the sweet maduro wrapper accented it very well. Either I had gotten used to the strength of the stick, or it wasn't as harsh as the very beginning, but either way, it was so good that I smoked it down to a little nub, and allowed it to go out when it started to get bitter. I guess that not only did I try a different smoke, but the stick taught me a lesson about the different experiences contained within a single smoke, and I was certainly glad that I didn't make a quick decision and allow it to go out early.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    LCar:
    The first quarter of this cigar was harsh to my palette, and at first I thought I just might have found a Gurkha that I didn't like. The dominant flavor was certainly pepper, with only hints of peat. The burn was perfectly even and slow. However, after gritting my teeth to get through the first quarter (because I really hate to waste a smoke) the pepper flavor leveled off instead of being overpowering, and it meshed well with the peat, and then a raisin flavor also meshed with the others.
    it sounds like you had a light that was too hot. I find this happens if you are outside and the wind is blowing or if you are using a lighter that you are not familiar with. Try "toasting it lit" rather than "lighting it on fire"
    try to keep the flame from actually hitting the cigar. your first quarter will be much better.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    ah good point kuzi thats very possible this happened to me the first cigar or two that i had it takes some getting used to. however it was like he said a full bodied smoke so mayb he just had to get used to the full flavor. also make sure u blow the smoke out after the light just incase u do have any harsh smoke in there and stuff u dnt wnt that. and make sure it cools down :).. btw kuzi knows all
  • Options
    LCarLCar Posts: 57

kuzi16:
    it sounds like you had a light that was too hot. I find this happens if you are outside and the wind is blowing or if you are using a lighter that you are not familiar with. Try "toasting it lit" rather than "lighting it on fire"
    try to keep the flame from actually hitting the cigar. your first quarter will be much better.

Ahh, that makes sense to me now. The wind was gusting when I was trying to light my stick, (and of course, only when I was trying to light it) and the "harshness" I tasted more than likely was not the intentions of the cigar, but the burnt pepper due to operator error. Thank you for that comment, as I really wouldn't have thought about the wind being a factor. Noted for next time I try to light up in the wind.