Home General Discussion
Options

My Copper Humidor

Ok, So I have a 25-50ct logo humidor that I use for my sticks. It is almost at max capacity. I just put in my 1st order from ccom (6pack of Nubs - I couldnt resist the deal and I wanted to try these shorties out). Anyway this is going to push me over my limit in my humidor. I also have an end table that has a copper lined humidor that was handed down to me from my grandfather. I havent used it or tested it out to see if and how it works. Has anyone here or does anyone here have a copper lined humidor? I plan on ordering some cedar trays, some beads and a humidity/temp reader. I am thinking about moving all my smoke to this one, then when I get filled up I will have a smoking and an aging humi. Can anyone give some insight to the pro's/cons of a copper lined humidor vs. traditional spanish cedar? I know a fairly good amount about the spanish cedar so if anyone can add any insight into the copper lined type. Id upload a pic, but dont know how to do that on this forum

Comments

• Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    cant help about insight on the copper humi sry however use a tupperdor in the mean time or put the cigars in a giant ziplock and then get another ziplock and put a sponge in there filled with distilled water put the cigar ziplock opened and put it in the sponge ziplock. that will hold them while you are trying to figure this all out. also to put a pic on here just upload it to photobucket and post the link
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok, It is almost at max capacity. I just put in my 1st order from ccom (6pack of Nubs - I couldnt resist the deal and I wanted to try these shorties out). Anyway this is going to push me over my limit in my humidor.
    Seems to me that you should just get smokin and make some room :-)

But to be honest, I have no idea how copper would work for a humidor, I'm sure the more experienced members here would.
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    haha ya me and chris can help you with that
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I don't have any experience with a copper humi, but if it will maintain an appropriate seal and you line it with spanish cedar and/or use spanish cedar trays in it, I see no reason it shouldn't work.

The only potential gotcha I can think of is the fact that copper, of course, tarnishes in contact with air (hence the patina). I don't know if that chemical process would affect any cedar or cigars in contact with it, or not. Even if it did, say, stain the cedar, I don't know if that would have any effect on the cigars.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    I don't know, first thought is your cigars could end up tasting like a penny.
  • Options

Fourtotheflush:
    Ok, So I have a 25-50ct logo humidor that I use for my sticks. It is almost at max capacity. I just put in my 1st order from ccom (6pack of Nubs - I couldnt resist the deal and I wanted to try these shorties out). Anyway this is going to push me over my limit in my humidor. I also have an end table that has a copper lined humidor that was handed down to me from my grandfather. I havent used it or tested it out to see if and how it works. Has anyone here or does anyone here have a copper lined humidor? I plan on ordering some cedar trays, some beads and a humidity/temp reader. I am thinking about moving all my smoke to this one, then when I get filled up I will have a smoking and an aging humi. Can anyone give some insight to the pro's/cons of a copper lined humidor vs. traditional spanish cedar? I know a fairly good amount about the spanish cedar so if anyone can add any insight into the copper lined type. Id upload a pic, but dont know how to do that on this forum

Short of anyone with actual experience using one of these, I can tell you what i think will likely be the case, from my sci/eng background.

-Copper has a higher thermal conductivity than wood, but, i presume its still wood insulated, so, temperature changes shouldnt be a significant factor.  On the other hand, wood has a higher conductivity than air itself, so..the copper might actually function as a temperature stabilizer assuming the wood as at the desired equilibrium temperature, but this is a guess.  In other words, if you put the humi in an ambient temperature of around 70, the copper will ensure that temperature wont spike around.  However, DO NOT put this in the path of the sun or by a heater or your cigars will cook.

-Copper isnt porous and absorbent like wood, the humidity likely will be fairly erratic as it will be based directly on the air quality inside the humidor itself and will change dramatically once opened, as the lack of wood wont keep it towards an equilibrium.  The other side of this is, theres no seasoning period required, just pop and go and see what happens.

-Given my earlier comment about the restriction of air circulation using copper, I would also highly suspect that a copper humi would be far far more susceptible to mold, also with respect to humidity issues.

So to sum it up, heres my hypothesis-

-Temperature should be no problem

-Humidity will have to be closely monitored

-Mold will have to be closely monitored

P.S.: As a side note, id keep your cigars wrapped if you put them in there, you dont want your cigars gaining a rust taste when rubbing against a sheen that forms on copper due to corrosion from the humidity.

Dont take any of this to mean its a bad idea necessarily, it should work fine as long as you pay attention to it regularly, but, these ideas indicate why copper was probably phased out in favor of cedar.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    copper was used for a long time before spanish cedar was. apparently they kept RH fairly well. Im not sure that i would use it.
    not because it wont work, but because its an antique. there may (or may not) be collectors out there that would be willing to pay a pretty penny if you were willing to give it up.

look and see if you can find any names on the humidor. if you do, google it. see what turns up. you may have a small fortune and not even know it.

or its a worthless POS that wont even hold RH anymore.
    but seriously, find out the value of it first. Decide what to do with it then. Just know what you are getting into.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Thanks Kuzi! This thing was built in the 20's or thereabouts. Im not sure if it was made locally (Calais, ME) where my grandfather was or if he picked it up somewhere. I will have to check it out. To answer the question above it is a copper center surrounded by wood.
  • Options
    WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    How about re-lining with Spanish Cedar..... should be easy enough to do.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    dep691, that was certainly an accurate analysis and I agree with your hypothesis. I'm an electrical engineer and what I know of copper is this: copper + humidity = corrosion. Now, I've fought corrosion on military aircraft for many years and I know a lot about it, but one thing I can definately say I've never done is taste it. I think this is a good thing and I have no desire or plans to taste it in the near future. If you want to know how it taste, find a penny dated prior to 1982 and stick it in your mouth. Now ask yourself, "Do I want my cigars to taste like this?" I don't think I'd do it, but that's just me.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    clearlysuspect:
    dep691, that was certainly an accurate analysis and I agree with your hypothesis. I'm an electrical engineer and what I know of copper is this: copper + humidity = corrosion. Now, I've fought corrosion on military aircraft for many years and I know a lot about it, but one thing I can definately say I've never done is taste it. I think this is a good thing and I have no desire or plans to taste it in the near future. If you want to know how it taste, find a penny dated prior to 1982 and stick it in your mouth. Now ask yourself, "Do I want my cigars to taste like this?" I don't think I'd do it, but that's just me.
    I actually have a couple boxes resting in this now, Its keeping relatively good RH, not sure about the temp.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    clearlysuspect:
    I actually have a couple boxes resting in this now, Its keeping relatively good RH, not sure about the temp.
    I hope it works out for you. I'm definately curious to read of the end results of this, so please come back and update this thread from time to time.