Home General Discussion
Options

I give up, I cannot wait, time to buy into the HABIT!

Newb to Cigar collecting, veteran of enjoying them with friends. I am now older and wiser and buying my first Humi. I was excited as I read the great posts and support in the forum.I had already bumped my prior 25 Humi idea to 100, and now to 150. I read more forums and now I wonder if the Humi is idiot proof. Some of the stories have my head spinning. Does anyone have a link to HUMI 101 FOR IDIOTS I can read up prior to my Humi getting delivered.
Thanks in advance..

Beer

Comments

• Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    A good start would be to read the cigar 101 forums. Feel free to post and ask specific questions if you don't find what you need. And welcome. See your an all-niter too.
  • Options
    GentlemanGentleman Posts: 152
    BeerTallTexan:
    Newb to Cigar collecting, veteran of enjoying them with friends. I am now older and wiser and buying my first Humi. I was excited as I read the great posts and support in the forum.I had already bumped my prior 25 Humi idea to 100, and now to 150. I read more forums and now I wonder if the Humi is idiot proof. Some of the stories have my head spinning. Does anyone have a link to HUMI 101 FOR IDIOTS I can read up prior to my Humi getting delivered.
    Thanks in advance..

Beer
    Before anyone says it.. Get Beads! They're idiot proof to the max. I was a non-believer at first but the purchase was worth it.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. Exactly what Doc said. Ask anything and anyone will definitely be willing to help.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Thanks fr the welcome, and I am in an all night er indeed. Normally I turn in around 4:00 AM. I did some research and Humi care seems simple enough, but I understand there is a bit of science getting it right. I will read up more where you suggested. My Humi will be in next week.
  • Options
    Where are you guys getting your beads at? I bought some from ebay but they are kindof meh.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    JSaint:
    Where are you guys getting your beads at? I bought some from ebay but they are kindof meh.
    I use a Cigar Oasis but I think some are getting theirs from heartfeltindustries.com.
  • Options
    awesome linkage
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its a HOBBY, not a HABIT

as far as im concerned the first thing you should know about humidors is this:

if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

beyond that, the above advice is good. beads are the way to to. make sure to season correctly.
    calibrate your hygrometer
    its all downhill after that
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, brother. All good advice, so far. Here's "lilwing88's idiot-proof guide to humidor set up":

Step 1: Buy nice humidor. Plan ahead on what you're willing to spend. Go with at least a 150ct. 250ct would be best. Shop around a bit. Don't go cheap. This thing should last you a lifetime, if it's a quality humidor.

Step 2: Go to heartfeltindustries.com and start shopping!!! Buy BOVEDA seasoning packets. At least 4 packets should do (more for a bigger humi). Get some humidification beads in tube form. Decide which rh you want. At least 65%, in my opinion. Buy a digital hygrometer (if your humidor didn't come with one) and a BOVEDA calibration kit.

Step 3: Go to a grocery store and buy at least two gallons of distilled water. Should last you a while.

Step 4: Invest in a nice torch lighter and a quality cutter or punch, depending on your preference.

Step 5: If you're gonna smoke at home, get a decent ashtray.

Step 6: FOLLOW ALL DIRECTIONS!!!!!

There ya go. If any brothers out there see something I missed, feel free to add to the list.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Welcome, brother. All good advice, so far. Here's "lilwing88's idiot-proof guide to humidor set up":

Step 1: Buy nice humidor. Plan ahead on what you're willing to spend. Go with at least a 150ct. 250ct would be best. Shop around a bit. Don't go cheap. This thing should last you a lifetime, if it's a quality humidor.

Step 2: Go to heartfeltindustries.com and start shopping!!! Buy BOVEDA seasoning packets. At least 4 packets should do (more for a bigger humi). Get some humidification beads in tube form. Decide which rh you want. At least 65%, in my opinion. Buy a digital hygrometer (if your humidor didn't come with one) and a BOVEDA calibration kit.

Step 3: Go to a grocery store and buy at least two gallons of distilled water. Should last you a while.

Step 4: Invest in a nice torch lighter and a quality cutter or punch, depending on your preference.

There ya go. If any brothers out there see something I missed, feel free to add to the list.
    Depending on which digital hydrometer you have/or purchase, you probably won't need to calibrate it. I usually get mine off of amazon, and all you have to do is turn it on and drop in your humi, no fuss. Do not use analog (the dial)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    completely agree...I have like 5 torch lights, 3 cutters, and two ashtrays...hey u never know when the ashtray fairy may come and take one u know! lol....and completely agree...follow all directions here, dont bash guys and u will be respected...welcome to the happeist place(except for the cigar factories) in the world!
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:

Great advice, except for one caveat. DO NOT follow instructions on the bead humidifiers if it tells you to soak for 4 hours like the Humi-care ones. 15 minutes or just pouring a bit of distilled water into it will be enough. 4 hours will cause it to explode, like it did to me.
  • Options
    thehoffthehoff Posts: 76
    In my experience, whatever room you have in a humi you will fill. It doesn't matter if it is a 50 or a 200. I bought another 100 ct and had it filled in a week. I need rehab or something..
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thehoff:
    In my experience, whatever room you have in a humi you will fill. It doesn't matter if it is a 50 or a 200. I bought another 100 ct and had it filled in a week. I need rehab or something..
    Repeat after me....... I DO NOT need rehab..... I DO NOT need a "meeting".......I DO need to get to a herf...............
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Regarding beads, heartfelt has great customer service and all, but their beads are WAY over priced. Go here: conservagel
    I bought heartfelt beads on a recommendation from here. they work great. then I bought conservagel beads when I upgraded to a bigger humidor. They work just as well. Half the cost. :) A bunch of guys from these forums have ordered from these guys - happy customers.