Home General Discussion
Options

What cigars to try with red wine

I love red wine and like to know if there are any good sticks out there to try with some vino. Also like Dr. Pepper

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    all of them...
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    In general, I've found most red wines (aside from port and some other sweet/fortified reds) don't pair well with cigars. I don't know if it's the big flavors from wine or the tannins, but the wine generally ruins the cigar or completely overpowers it and I've tried it with hearty sticks and fruitier wines with lower tannins such as petite sirah.

If you do enjoy port, Bogle makes a port style petite sirah that is fantastic and would pair well with some fuller-bodied cigars but again, would probably overpower most of the subtle flavors in mild cigars.
  • Options
    AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    a nice Cabernet will go with pretty much any good cigar.....dont try it with an infused flavored cigar though.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    My favorite pairing I have had so far is one of my favorite wines with a cigar that I don't particularly care for that much. 5 Vegas Gold with a 2005 Horton Norton.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Rob1110:
    In general, I've found most red wines (aside from port and some other sweet/fortified reds) don't pair well with cigars. I don't know if it's the big flavors from wine or the tannins, but the wine generally ruins the cigar or completely overpowers it and I've tried it with hearty sticks and fruitier wines with lower tannins such as petite sirah.

If you do enjoy port, Bogle makes a port style petite sirah that is fantastic and would pair well with some fuller-bodied cigars but again, would probably overpower most of the subtle flavors in mild cigars.
    I agree with Rob. Red wines (especially the fuller red wines like Cab and Merlot) do not go well with very many cigars. I enjoy good reds often, and I bring a glass out to have with a cigar - most of the time I let the wine sit until after my cigar because they just do not pair well together at all. I'm always interested to find out, but it is typically a terrible pairing.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I had some Pinot Noir with my Gurkha Evil last night. Went pretty well together. I like Diet Dr Pepper with almost any stick.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Ironmick63Ironmick63 Posts: 100
    lilwing88:
    I had some Pinot Noir with my Gurkha Evil last night. Went pretty well together. I like Diet Dr Pepper with almost any stick.....
    Thats what I'm finding out also that I like the Doctor too.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Not to further derail this but has anybody tried ginger ale while smoking? To me they just go well together since ginger all is somewhat bland it doesn't seem to distract from the cigar.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of ginger ale, but if you want to spice up the ginger ale a bit, add a few dashes of Angostura bitters to it. It'll also settle your stomach if you've eaten something that doesn't agree with you.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i almost never pair a cigar with an adult beverage. but its usually beers of some sort. i have noticed that some of the sweeter wines do go well with some cigars. there is a red out there called Vauvaray (sp?) that is sweeter that may go well.

just seems that most of the wine that i have had with a cigar was a white. i tend to drink more whites in the summer and more reds in the winter. if im smoking and drinking there is a better than good chance that i am outside so it must be summer.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I am not a big wine drinkers AT ALL. But my wife is Portuguese and loves wine from there...so one day she came home with a bottle. I have to say it is the first wine I have ever liked and honestly can say it pairs very well with a cigar.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Merlot with a Ruination. do it now
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Krieg:
    I am not a big wine drinkers AT ALL. But my wife is Portuguese and loves wine from there...so one day she came home with a bottle. I have to say it is the first wine I have ever liked and honestly can say it pairs very well with a cigar.
    What kind is it? Port? Muscat? Something else? Port goes very well with cigars.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:

I'm with Rob here, love Red wine, but most don't match.. have had some luck with the Port tho.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain