Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Phobic's Cigar Reviews..

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I've decided to give this a whirl, maybe it will help me to enjoy cigars a little more, since I can write and be critiqued on my so-called tastes.. lol. So first up....

CAO Sopranos - Soldier

Wrapper - Honduran, Maduro
Size - 6 x 54
Price - part of a 4 pack
Time - 1.5 hrs.

So let's start out by saying that Kuzi already did a great job talking about the associate in his reviews, but it was because of his review that I wanted to try all the sizes in the line-up. First let me say that I think this cigar would have been much better had it been in a humi for a few weeks but since I'm in need of a new one and I'm currently waiting to hopefully salvage another, I smoked this when I got it. The 4 pack I got came in a nice little plastic case, looked just like a box of Sopranos, only smaller.. This guy looks mighty nice with the dark wrapper and red/black band. The smell was rather satisfying pre-light, a hint of coco with a dark maudro-ish tobacco (if that makes sense?). After a good smell and punching the cap, I toasted the end very evenly, and eventually lit it. The light was very good, in fact I thought it was going to burn terrifically, but then it started to burn a little quicker on one side. It wasn't too bad and in fact slowed itself several times so it never got out of hand. The draw was very nice, and the smoke had a nice aroma to it. One thing I have been doing lately is blowing out when I first light and I have to say it really helps (thanks you guys). After the first several puffs I could taste a little coco, coffee, and some earthiness. This flavor lasted for about half the way up the stick, then I could almost taste a hint of tequila (maybe I'm crazy) mingled with the others. Now this is where it gets bad. I usually only take a couple of puffs every minute or so, that way the cigar doesn't get too hot and ruin the taste (for me) but within that time frame (could have been a little longer or shorter than a minute) the cigar went out. I had to re-light this guy 4 times! I smoke large cigars all the time, and I usually don't have this happen. After the 4th time I stopped smoking it as it just got too frustrating. I do blame the fact that it hadn't rested in a humi for a little while and that the cigar was a little hard when I started smoking it. The ash stayed on the cigar a good 2-3 inches before I lost it on my lap (I was sure I had more to go). The ash was a dark gray and sort of tightly woven. If it hadn't have been for the burning issues I probably would have given this a higher rating, but I will be back to re-review this once I get a humi back and running (whether it be this end table I've been eying or the one I'm trying to salvage). Before I stopped smoking it, I was about 1.5 hours into it. Now it may just be that I was slowly enjoying it, but I would say that for most this would be little under 2 hours to smoke.

Burn: 5
Draw: 9
Taste: 8
Aftertaste: 7
Construction: 7
Appearance: 10
Feel: 8
Smoke: 8
Overall: 7.75

(I will add the others to this thread after they have sat a few weeks in a humi) All in all I did like this smoke. I do need to get/keep a smoking journal though as I smoked this guy about a week ago so I probably missed out on some of the tastes. I do know one thing, from reading the posts on here I've been able to pick up more tastes while I smoke. I never would have thought that pushing smoke up through my nose would help, but it does! Anyway I hope you all liked what I wrote, and I'll be back to revise this guy once I get another one and let him get humi-fied! lol

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've always had a special place in my heart for these cigars... one because it was a great cigar and the second is because of a fondness for the show as well

• Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    great review it was super informative i really enjoyed reading it you did a great job with the ratings i felt like i was right there with ya soking it. i look forward to reading more of your reviews