Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

The cigar smoke off!

This started as part of the "Mystery Stick" game, but in order to continue that game as usual we have decided to start a new thread. Here's how this is going down:

Two identical packages are sent to two different BORKs. They should contain 3 mystery cigars labeled A, B, and C. The cigars are then reviewed by both contestants. The reviews should be privately PMd to the judge for the contest with the following guesses:
1. Country of origin
2. Type of wrapper
3. Manufacturer or blender
4. Specific blend

Correct guesses will be given points based on this system that I made up, we may change this if people wish.

Country of Origin - 1 point
Wrapper - 1 point
Manufacturer - 2 points
Specific blend - 3 points

The judge tallies up the points with the guesses and can declare a winner for each round, and an overall winner for the three rounds.

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Joey and Duder were sent 3 mystery cigars by PokerSlob! They have both smoked and reviewed Cigar A for me and sent their guesses to me.

Joey's guesses:

Country of Origin: Nicaraguan
    Type of wrapper: Maduro (I know this technically isn't a leaf, but we'll let it slide since they both guessed Maduro)
    Manufacturer: El Mejor
    Blend: El Mejo Espresso

Duder's guesses:

Country of Origin: Honduras
    Wrapper: Maduro
    Manufacturer: 5 Vegas
    Blend: Series A
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    so who won this one lol
  • Options
    I'm working on it! Sorry, trying to find out more info on the cigar.
  • Options
    so i completely bombed the 2nd stick..sorry but just could not smoke it to save my life...i felt like i wanted to puke! lol
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Just got done with stick B and I'm fairly confident I know what it is. If it's what I think, it's one of my fav's. Either way I enjoyed it thoroughly and if I'm wrong would like to know what it is for future reference! I will get my review in shortly :^)
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great game!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    i like it...the Mystery Stick game is really my favorite... I pay a lot more attention when i don't knwo what i'm smoking... good stuff
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Tat, are you going to post the reviews and answers for each stick?
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Tat, are you going to post the reviews and answers for each stick?
    Yes, I am having a hard time figuring out the Stick A stats. Stick B reviews are finished, so I'll get both A and B up now.
  • Options

Stick A is Nestor Reserve Maduro

From what I can gather, this cigar has both Honduran and Nicaraguan fillers, and a Honduran maduro wrapper. What I can't figure out is where this stick is made, since Nestor has factories in both Nicaragua and Honduras if I am reading this correctly. So, I believe I will accept both Nic and Hon as an answer for "country of origin"

What this means is that both Joey and Duder get one point for Country of Origin, and one point for Wrapper.

Score after Stick A
    Joey - 2
    Duder - 2
  • Options
    Here are the complete reviews PMd to me for Stick A:

Joeyjoe21_8:
    upon touch, the cigar is very hard, with the leaf wrapper not being so smooth like a rocky or padron....but more rugged...I decided to punch it instead of cut it- I first light it up and get a mouthfull of spiceyness.....instant spice which is probaby telling me this cigar has some nicarauguen tabacco in it.....but after a half inch, the flavor changes from spicy, to lightly sweet. I can taste...wait...is that, coffee? i believe so...a few more puffs on this bad boy will let me know...I taste esspresso which is my favorite thing in the entire world! Also, I do taste just a hint of cocoa but not by much..kinda lingers on my tongue for a while after puffing....

Obviously the wrapper is a maduro...but i cant place the origin of it. I want to say Nic. but I know thats wrong big time....mm...the light spice in the back ground will lead me to say mexico maduro?

Its definetly creamy from the first puff and still is.....Im still getting the dark esspresso chocolate taste in my mouth for some reason.

I notice a slight burn issue going on so I make a correction. stick going from 1st to 2nd part...no change in flavor or consistancy at all.....but i am having a hard time keeping it going to be honest.

Binder: not a clue so lets stick with Nic. as well! lol

I notice the wrapper is fairly cracking easily without much pressure as I roll it in my fingers trying to losen it up so it stops going out on me!

So I am pretty sure I have had this stick before but my taste buds may be off a bit...but im ready to make my guess....I believe it to be a El Mejor Espresso!

Duder2:
    Well, I'm not very experienced at reviewing, but I'll give it a try. Stick A is a churchill, 7x 48-50 with a black maduro wrapper that is pretty veiny. The cigar is very tightly rolled and a bit lumpy/rough in appearance. Upon lighting I got a light spice and mostly pepper, tobacco and very lightly sweet. The draw is very tight and smoke output is ok, but not great. A little way into it I'm getting a bit of dark chocolate out of it, then a few minutes later a few notes of wood. Cedar maybe? The burn is very slow and a little wavy, but not troublesome. About half way through, it started to taste more like ash tray than cigar and I had to put it down. That was an hour in.

If this is what I think it is, I've had one before in this vitola and didn't really dig it much then either but really like it in other sizes. That was a long time ago too so I could be wrong, but here goes. I think it is a 5 Vegas Series A Apostle.
  • Options
    Stick B guesses

Unfortunately, Joey was really unimpressed and probably got a bad stick somehow, but he still guessed at a few of the categories. He posted a mini-review in the Mystery Stick thread, so if it is ok, I'm going to give him a chance to guess all the categories. I'll PM him.

Joey's guesses:
    Country of Origin:
    Wrapper: Connecticut
    Manufacturer
    Blend

Duder's guesses:
    Country of Origin:
    Wrapper:
    Manufacturer:
    Blend:
  • Options
    Good stuff..should be an interesting thread!
  • Options
    not a clue how I got so much esspresso out of that stick for being a nestor reserve...but like i said, a hard night of drinking and puking will throw ur senses off...lol...it was a decent stick, but nothing I would personally buy but im glad I tried it
  • Options
    Just got done with stick C. I won't be able to type up the review till I get home from work tonight, but I think I have this one figured out. Can't wait for the results! ;^)
  • Options
    Ok Tat, my final review is in. Can't wait for some results!
  • Options
    ^^ Bump!
  • Options
    thanks for the bump reminder.....i will have to smoke the stick tonight....sorry for the hold up guys
  • Options
    No problem ;^)
  • Options
    Another bump ;^)
  • Options
    Bumpity bump!
  • Options
    Not to put the blame on Joey (cause I have been all but MIA the last few weeks) but I haven't received a Stick C review from Joey.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    TatuajeVI:
    Not to put the blame on Joey (cause I have been all but MIA the last few weeks) but I haven't received a Stick C review from Joey.

Hmmmmmmm seems the Other Mystery Stick game is or was Stalled out Due to Joey? Am i not right about that and thats why this new game was Started? LOL No Brainer to me
  • Options
    oh really...i sent it to you just like i did last time....mm....re sending right now again....if i would have known that this wouldnt have been so stalled lol
  • Options
    The original Mystery stick game was stalled mostly by me, so I'll take the rap for that one...sorry guys!
  • Options
    oh hush....its my fault he never got my email...i re emailed him again tonight so this should all be wrapped up
  • Options
    we never got the score from these?
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Duder2:
    The original Mystery stick game was stalled mostly by me, so I'll take the rap for that one...sorry guys!

Im just shooting arrows LOL Sorry guys i guess my frustrations in life are spilling out in the forums some latley... its not my nature.
  • Options
    It's all good brother :^)
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    we never got the score from these?
    We haven't gotten scores for stick B or C yet, hopefully soon...