Home Cigar 101

What to look for in Europe (ISOM)

robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
So I'm going to Madrid and Paris next week and will be looking to smoke a few ISOM's while i'm over there... what should I grab? I have no experience with them and don't want to blow a bunch of cash on them without knowing what to look for... I tend to like a fuller body smoke(Decade, Deisel, CAO Brazilia, Casa Magna, ETC)...

any thoughts?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    If you are feeling rich, you should grab a Cohiba Behike.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cohiba Siglo - I've heard the IV (or was it the VI?) was especially amazing. At any rate, be sure to buy from (Casa Havana?)/cuban gov't stores, else you run the risk of buying a counterfeit
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    not so sure i'm feeling "rich" but I can probably splurge on a stick or two... but let's be honest, most of my $ is going to wine and food... i plan on gainin about 10lbs... no idea what these Cohiba's cost, but I don't think I will want to go over $30 or so
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Cohiba Siglo - I've heard the IV (or was it the VI?) was especially amazing. At any rate, be sure to buy from (Casa Havana?)/cuban gov't stores, else you run the risk of buying a counterfeit
    from what I've read it's the IV
    xmacro:
    good call... if there are any specific places to go in Madrid or Paris, let me know... I'll do some research on my end also... thanks guys!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Anything in the Siglo line is amazing IMO, but I like large ring sizes so the Siglo VI is where it's at for me, also the Maduro Genios...H. Upmann and Ramon Allones have some powerful sticks...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Is say look at Bolivar, esp petit corona and corona extra, H Upmann Magnum 50 and #2, and Partagas salamones.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Bolivar is definitely notorious for having full flavored, strong smokes. They are also much less expensive than some of the better known brands. PSDn4 is also a classic.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    LOL love the Behike idea, but he'd have be feeling exceedingly 'rich'...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    CA has the Behike listed at about 30 Euro....... Not too bad. LOL!

My favorite ISOMs on the economical side are the Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial, and vegas Robaina Famosos. Partagas Serie D No. 4 is also great, but can be pricey. Cohibas are overrated, IMHO.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    Hays:
    sightunseen:
    Only if you're in Canada. In Europe and Mexico they are supposed to be reasonably priced.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    LCDH La Casa Del Habano... That is the government of Cuba's sanctioned company.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    RyJ has some darn good smokes.

the other one that is good is the Partagas Series D no.4 (PSD4)

if you are feeling lucky (and cheap) the Diplimaticos brand is ok. they are inexpensive but there are often issues when i have one.
    lilwing88:
    CA has the Behike listed at about 30 Euro....... Not too bad. LOL!

My favorite ISOMs on the economical side are the Ramon Allones Specially Selected, Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial, and vegas Robaina Famosos. Partagas Serie D No. 4 is also great, but can be pricey. Cohibas are overrated, IMHO.
    Then I recommend the Behike then. Also pick one up for me, haha. I've heard a lot of good things about the Partagas Serie D. I have two resting in my humi. Just waiting for the right time...
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Cohiba Siglo IV Gran Reserva if you can find it. otherwise I really like RyJ No. 1 and Montecristo No.2
  • If you've never smoked a CC, I wouldn't suggest going with Bolivar as a first time. They're great, but they are real a$$ kickers.
    Try to look for RyJ Short Churchills (with some age very smooth, creamy, little sweetness and coffee, about medium strength), Juan Lopez #2 (coffee, earth, leathery, you probably will enjoy this one the most IMO. Full), or Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (a tiny minuto but delivers BIG on flavors. Can probably grab a couple of these for the price of one Cohiba). I could probably list another 10 sticks to look for but these are some favorites of mine that shouldn't break the bank. You can't go wrong with Montecristo #4's (#2's are too inconsistent, don't waste money on them, if you get a bad one it'll ruin it for you), RASS, PSD4's, and, although i've never had them, H Upmann Magnum 50 and 46's are raved on in many reviews.
    Just make sure you're visiting an LCDH over there, you'll pay a little more but you're guaranteed authentic CC's. And enjoy!
    how do i know if it's an LCDH La Casa Del Habano
    robbyras:
    That will be the name of the shop. Or if you're unsure or the markings aren't clear, than just ask!
    Lasabar:
    robbyras:
    That will be the name of the shop. Or if you're unsure or the markings aren't clear, than just ask!
    Ha! can you tell this is my first trip to Europe? I'm 32 and this is my first trip out of the country
    robbyras:
    Lasabar:
    robbyras:
    Ha! can you tell this is my first trip to Europe? I'm 32 and this is my first trip out of the country
    No problem! I've never been to Europe, so you got one up on me!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    robbyras:
    Lasabar:
    robbyras:
    I'll consider it a small miracle if I make it to Europe in my lifetime. Have fun on your trip.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Hays:
    sightunseen:
    Only if you're in Canada. In Europe and Mexico they are supposed to be reasonably priced.
    Hmm..then they either changed their minds at release, or did something else funny. I first heard about this through a pre-release press release from Cohiba, and they stated that this cigar would only be available in boxes - no singles - for something along the lines of $5k a box. I hadn't heard anything further about (it had rather slipped my mind, to be honest), and so my thinking was still along these lines. In the case of them being around 30Euros, from the amazing things I've read of them, I will be seeking these out.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    docbp87:
    Hays:
    sightunseen:
    Hmm..then they either changed their minds at release, or did something else funny. I first heard about this through a pre-release press release from Cohiba, and they stated that this cigar would only be available in boxes - no singles - for something along the lines of $5k a box. I hadn't heard anything further about (it had rather slipped my mind, to be honest), and so my thinking was still along these lines. In the case of them being around 30Euros, from the amazing things I've read of them, I will be seeking these out.
    Yeah, there was the OR of Behikes in 2006, which came in Humidors of 40 sticks, all made by one lady who has been a roller for Cohiba forever, using rare tobacco, and oh yeah, costing like 15,000 Euros or something. Those would work out to like $400+/stick lol. Fortunately the regular release Behikes aren't nearly like that. My only complaint, and the biggest thing aside from the cost that has kept me from seeking one out is the sizes. Who wants to smoke a 56 ring gauge habano? No thanks...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was stationed in Germany in the 80's my everyday smoke was "Tropfen-schatz". Now, this is not a cigar of the caliber that's been spoken about above, just a good, affordable every-day cigar. The thing is, I've never been able to find it in the U.S. If I remember correctly it was brazilian made, camaroon wrapper. Every other month or so, I'd buy a box of these, and a single or two of whatever my tobacconist recommended.
    I owe that man a debt of gratitude, he taught me the right way to smoke a cigar. Prior to his instruction I tended to chomp down on the end and blaze through with a long fiery coal, but I'm getting on to another subject. Just if you happen to see these, I'd be interested to know if they still exist, and who the importer was. May have been Upmann.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    docbp87:
    Hays:
    docbp87:
    Hays:
    sightunseen:
    Yeah, there was the OR of Behikes in 2006, which came in Humidors of 40 sticks, all made by one lady who has been a roller for Cohiba forever, using rare tobacco, and oh yeah, costing like 15,000 Euros or something. Those would work out to like $400+/stick lol. Fortunately the regular release Behikes aren't nearly like that. My only complaint, and the biggest thing aside from the cost that has kept me from seeking one out is the sizes. Who wants to smoke a 56 ring gauge habano? No thanks...
    Sounds about right.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Feature_Basic_Template/0,2344,1406,00.html

Read in another article that the lady that rolled it used to be the personal roller for Comrad Castro (can't find the article though).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    say what you will about Uncle Fidel... the man has good taste in cigars.
    kuzi16:
    And the good kind of uncle.... You sit on his lap and you get cigars, unlike 8 years ago at Christmas......
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The box of Cohiba BHK 52's (the best ones out of the 3) will run you about a $1,000 easy. If you do actually score one, I wouldn't smoke it right away. They are GREAT candidates for aging, I would say at LEAST a good 5 years on them. Trinidad also has a good prices on some smokes.

"Long ashes my friends."

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    kuzi16:
    True. If I recall, didn't AJ once say that Fidel was a fan of his mentors (bah, I forgot the guy's name - AJ's mentor that recently died). Story goes that Fidel was such a huge fan that when he took over, he let the guy keep his tobacco farm private, instead of seizing it like the rest of Cuba's assets
    xmacro:
    kuzi16:
    True. If I recall, didn't AJ once say that Fidel was a fan of his mentors (bah, I forgot the guy's name - AJ's mentor that recently died). Story goes that Fidel was such a huge fan that when he took over, he let the guy keep his tobacco farm private, instead of seizing it like the rest of Cuba's assets
    Vegas Robaina... I don't know about the whole Fidel back story, but if it's true, then VERY cool!