Home General Discussion

Not cool UPS!!!

I got my box of Diesels today opened the package pulled out the box and BAM the bottom fell off after removing the plastic shrink wrap. Then I took out the bag with the matches and cutter and the matches were all over the place. It looked like they were just chucking this thing all around their hub. Maybe an exhilerating game of kick the box! Those late nights do get boring.

Luckily only two sticks look to have a small crack but that will be corrected when they are cut. Thank god I ordered a box or my cigars would be destroyed not just the box!

Have any of you had any problems with UPS before this was my first time I got a beat up package from them.

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    What? UPS has to step up their handling of fragile materials? Why do they have to do that when Congress is stamping out their competition for them?
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    I hear ya...
    Before UPS
    After UPS
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    WOW! It looks like a teenager took a bat to it!
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    wwhwang:
    What? UPS has to step up their handling of fragile materials? Why do they have to do that when Congress is stamping out their competition for them?
    You mean USPS? UPS has their own competition (DHL, FedEx).
    HOLY CRAP, Waxing! That makes me very scared...how the hell am I supposed to ship my 100 count humi to Canada when I move?
    sightunseen:
    wwhwang:
    Actually, if I remember correctly, Congress is strengthening the unions behind FedEx, making their prices slowly go up. UPS remains cheaper because of this. And since they're cheaper, people go to them. That and word is that UPS lobbyists are dealing with congressmen behind closed doors for more advantages.
    wwhwang:
    sightunseen:
    wwhwang:
    Actually, if I remember correctly, Congress is strengthening the unions behind FedEx, making their prices slowly go up. UPS remains cheaper because of this. And since they're cheaper, people go to them. That and word is that UPS lobbyists are dealing with congressmen behind closed doors for more advantages.
    Did not know that. That's interesting to know. Personally, I do not like UPS because it takes 5 business days to ship when I buy from businesses that uses UPS. My CCom packages come via Priority Mail and I get it within two business days.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    The other thing that bothered me is Andy was cool enough to hook up second day air. It got to Minneapolis (10 mins from my house!) then goes to Egan(20 mins from my house) sits 3 days Then to a hub a half hour away when they drive from eagan to the other hub they go right past my house! And I wait another day!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    UPS ....... BLOWS. I have got a few things through them in the recent months.... every On of them had box damage.... I track it.. It sits no less than 3 days in a HUB on the coast then comes back to sacramento and sits another day or two then comes to folsom. Its BULLSHIT....... I NEVER USE THEM and I advise anyone Im dealing with to use the Post office....... UPSDHL .. they are all in the crapper
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    sightunseen:
    Personally, I do not like UPS because it takes 5 business days to ship when I buy from businesses that uses UPS.
    There are more variables here than just UPS. For example, Sportsmans Guide is horrible about this... they will email a tracking number shortly after ordering, but don't actually hand it off to UPS until days later. Why? probably because they can bill your CC as soon as they "ship".

Distance from the vendor also makes a difference. I routinely ship packages between my stores in Virginia, Ground always gets it there the next day. UPS packages from CCOM or CI get to me the next day; Priority Mail takes two to three. There are maps on the UPS site to show how long a shipment should take.
    zoom6zoom:
    sightunseen:
    Personally, I do not like UPS because it takes 5 business days to ship when I buy from businesses that uses UPS.
    There are more variables here than just UPS. For example, Sportsmans Guide is horrible about this... they will email a tracking number shortly after ordering, but don't actually hand it off to UPS until days later. Why? probably because they can bill your CC as soon as they "ship".

Distance from the vendor also makes a difference. I routinely ship packages between my stores in Virginia, Ground always gets it there the next day. UPS packages from CCOM or CI get to me the next day; Priority Mail takes two to three. There are maps on the UPS site to show how long a shipment should take.
    You are absolutely right. My major online recurring purchases are cigars, which are located on the East Coast. Based on UPS's maps, it would take 5 days to get here (unless of course I want to pay extra). For the same price, I can have them ship priority mail and it gets here in 2 days.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    The USPS delivered this gem to me last year. It was smashed so well, the air pillows inside were popped.

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    While it may have been mishandling, I received a box of diesels and the package was totally intact and it too had the bottom fall out. Might be something with the Diesel UC boxes as well.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may have something to do with the various hubs. I am fortunate to live an hour south of their hub in Syracuse. If I order before 3:30 PM, they are delievered before 10 AM the following morning. If I order on Friday, I get them on Tuesday.

I've been lucky, this hub and my delievery guy are great and I've never gotten a damaged package. (I am knocking on my wooden head as I type this!)
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    wwhwang:
    sightunseen:
    wwhwang:
    And FedEx's union is lobbying Congress to ease union organizing in the case of UPS (arguing that they're principally ground-transport, and so not subject to exemptions) so they can jack up UPS's costs. They're both trying to play Congress to screw over their competition.

on-topic: UPS doesn indeed suck. I tried ordering a cast-iron teapot: 4 times - count 'em - FOUR times I had to return it because it arrived in a beaten up box and was chipped/dented. Eventually I just bought it when I went on a long trip and got near one of the stores that sell 'em
  • StarbuckStarbuck Posts: 32
    Geeze. A cast iron teapot has to go through some serious beatings to have dents and chips in it. Four times is a bit much I must say..lol.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Well after I said that UPS does OK for me they are now sticking me on a shipment that should have been here by now. I will echo the OP on this, not cool UPS