Home General Discussion
Options

Is brand loyalty a bad thing?

I've been into cigars a long time.  heavy the last 10 years or so.  I used to buy the sample packs on a regular basis and pick up 4 or 5 different sticks at the local shop weekly until around 1997 or 1998.  Something changed.........

My local shop moved into a new facility and as a door prize I won a sampler of 10 different sticks.  One of the smokes was simply fantastic.  I loved the white smoke, dark madura wrapper, and the coffee(ish) cream taste that lingered on my palate.

The day after I smoked this robusto, I rushed to the shop to buy a box.  As luck would have it he was sold out of the entire line.  He did have about 12 or so sticks of the same cigar but in a natural.  of course I bought those up immediately.  A few weeks passed and I received a call from my local shop.  He had my brand and size instock!  I bought a box of each.  Heck, I went ahead and bought a box of the churchills as well.

From that point on I rarely buy any other brand.  Sure if someone gives me a stick or two I'll smoke it and probably enjoy it but my preference remains the same.  If I see a smoke score good I may try it but again I always go back to my favorite.

Is this a bad thing?  Does it mean I'm not an aficionado? Will I go to hell?      Thanks  Dave

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    LOL, nope I doubt hell is in you future for this. I always say smoke what you like! I think most would agree BUT I think you might find that there have been quite a few GREAT cigars come out since '98.

May I ask what cigar it is?
  • Options

Thanks for the reply.  Just for kicks I'm not saying what brand.  But I think they really became popular in 97 or 98, introduced a fuller series in around 2002 or 2003.  The flagship smoke are produced in the Dominican Republic.  Seems like I heard they use tobacco from three countries.

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Ashton?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Brother, I need to know. What brand? Come on tell us :-)
  • Options
        Is that the line from a Clint Eastwood movie??lol 

ok its La Gloria Cubano Wavell.  Mostly maduro.  Also like the series R #5
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if smoking that brand makes you happy and you dont want to look for others who am I to judge?

I personally think that the fun part about sigars is trying new things and learning more. everyone is different.

on yet another hand, if you tell me the brand and line within that brand i can probably reccomend another cigar that is close to that one or that would have a flavor profile that you may like in addition to that one. its up to you.
  • Options
    Right now I'm hooked on the Oliva family and their sister company Nub.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Right now I'm hooked on the Oliva family and their sister company Nub.
    Helluva line! But be careful calling them the OLiva Family. Typically when someone is talking about the Oliva family they are talking about the Oliva tobacco GROWING family which has absolutely no affiliation with Oliva cigar company.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    cigardave007:
    ok its La Gloria Cubano Wavell.  Mostly maduro.  Also like the series R #5

I'd heard good things about these and decided to try one (the wavell) this weekend. I'm hoping it was just improperly stored, but the shop I picked it up from usually tends to be pretty good about things. My best description of the unlit cigar would be "wet dog." This turned my stomach a bit, but I decided to give it the go anyway and upon lighting, it smelled more like I was lighting a joint than a cigar. Again, I'm hoping it was just a bad stick because I've heard some great things about these cigars.

Nothing wrong with sticking with what you love, but nothing wrong with trying new things either. You never know if that's going to be your all time favorite cigar, until you at least get out there and try a handful of other smokes. There's a lot of great guys here with a lot of experience who can point you in the right direction with recommendations.