Home Cigar 101

What just happened here?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Ok. I was curious about the H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon that was in my humi for 4 months. The B&M I got it from had a walk-in that was constantly at 68 rh. The 20 count I had this in was at 72 rh. But I smoked about a half inch and it tasted like bone-dry newspaper. I ripped it apart to look inside and sure enough, dry as sand paper. Any ideas what happened here? Bum stick?

Comments

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    sounds to me like the B&M screwed up and it got killed somewhere along the. Theres not much sitting in your and the B&M's humi is going to do if it was dried out 2 months before it sat in a good humi.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've had 2 of the vintage cameroons and the first was fairly fresh and remember it being "meh." The second was quite some time later, after spending quite some time in my humi (about a year at 68-70) and I just couldn't get into it at all. I just figured maybe my pallet changed or it was just a bum stick. Either way, I won't be running out to find more after I smoke my last one.

If you want a cameroon that is absolutely fantastic, go for the Perdomo 91 Vintage Maestro Tubo. It's fantastic with some age on it and is a perfect autumn cigar. I can't have enough of those things.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Were the stored in cello. If it ever spent a long time out of humidity in cello long enough to completely dry out, it is often difficult to restore. I'd say if you have more, take them out of cello stat but if this has happened you have already lost a lot of the oils. Also, you may want to do a little welfare check on your hygrometer. I now only use electric humdification systems with built in hygrometers. These things are life savers.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Alex Svenson:
    Were the stored in cello. If it ever spent a long time out of humidity in cello long enough to completely dry out, it is often difficult to restore. I'd say if you have more, take them out of cello stat but if this has happened you have already lost a lot of the oils. Also, you may want to do a little welfare check on your hygrometer. I now only use electric humdification systems with built in hygrometers. These things are life savers.

What kind do you use Alex ?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Alex Svenson:

What kind do you use Alex ?
    that was my next question!

"Long ashes my friends."

• JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    I am using beads in my new Vinotemp 28 ct. Is the built in fan enough to move the moisure around?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JY001:
    I am using beads in my new Vinotemp 28 ct. Is the built in fan enough to move the moisure around?
    more than enough.
  • JY001JY001 Posts: 49
    Thanks kuzi16.