Home Cigar 101

lighters

Does it really make that much of a difference to the taste of a cigar lighting up with a zipo Vs. a torch lighter? i have a nibbo now with 3 jets and find it's hard to light it evenly the first time takes a couple of try's with out sticking the lighter right on the end of the stick.. and i just think it would be much easier with a zipo..

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    If you can taste it then it makes a difference. If you can't then it doesn't. Try it and see if you notice a difference. It might be barely noticeable, or it might be huge. Everyone's palate is different, and some are more developed than others. If you don't notice a change, go for it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the smell of the zippo fluid bugs the heck out of me.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I love my Zippo, and I have lit a cigar effectively with it. It was a big pain, and took a lot longer than a torch, but I did it and didn't get a taste. Noooow.... When the cigar went out, and I had to relight it, I used the Zippo again - there was such a disgusting taste of lighter fluid that I tossed the stick immediately. Go with what someone else mentioned...if it bugs you, it bugs you.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I agree, Go with what works for you. I have both, but 9 times out of 10 I grab the zippo. I've just never noticed a big difference between that and my torch. Except in the wind. Ha ha, impossible to toast the foot using a zippo in the wind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I have a zippo also but never used it. I bought the nibo triple as well and never looked back. A torch lighter imo is the way to go.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    There are some pretty decent low cost soft flame butane lighters out there as well. I have one by Xikar that cost me about $30 and it is pretty much all I use. I do keep my Buggatti single jet lighter for touchups and such after the initial light though. But I almost never use it for the initial light. Do a search for soft flame butane lighters and see what you can find. Also, there is a pretty decent site that I have used in the past to get a lighter. If you want that site send me a PM and I will get you the link.