Home Cigar 101

Plume or Mold

sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
Okay a friend gave me 2 cigars from his uncle. An AFRoyal Salute Maduro and AF Canones, both are in cello and the "white powder" wipes of the stick easy but it doesn't wipe off the cello so it got me worried and I don't want to put them in the humi until I figure it out.

Thanks for the help fellas

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    sirfoster83:
    Okay a friend gave me 2 cigars from his uncle. An AFRoyal Salute Maduro and AF Canones, both are in cello and the "white powder" wipes of the stick easy but it doesn't wipe off the cello so it got me worried and I don't want to put them in the humi until I figure it out.

Thanks for the help fellas
    I'm not certain, but if it wipes off and stains the wrapper it's mold. I don't think that plume wipes off and if it does it won't leave a discoloring mark... Plume is crystals and it's basically part of the cigars leaves as it is oils that have permeated through the surface so they shouldn't really wipe off..

I'm sure someone will have a more definitive answer, but that's what I believe...

Long store short I'd say mold... but pics would help, and if it's a even and uniform dispersal than I would lean more toward plume, if it's spotty and unevenly distributed then I'd lean towards mold
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if its 3D then its mold. plume should have a bit of a sparkle to it but otherwise look like dust but 2D
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Mold tends to be splotchy, where plume has a more uniform distribution over the cigar. There are a lot of good photos online of mold. Plume is a little harder to photograph.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    Mold tends to be splotchy, where plume has a more uniform distribution over the cigar. There are a lot of good photos online of mold. Plume is a little harder to photograph.
    This is how my Camacho Liberty looked...posted a thread on here a while ago. Came with the mold directly from the retailer...they eventually replaced it, and the mold was splotchy.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Here's a video of exactly what mold looks like. Of course, now that he works for Thompson, Al Remp is here trying to say that it is plume. Pretty horrible actually. Anyway, this is definitely mold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqzjnIJWic

Not to mention, plume is not "the sugar from the wrapper". What the hell is wrong with this guy? Jesus...
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    docbp87:
    Here's a video of exactly what mold looks like. Of course, now that he works for Thompson, Al Remp is here trying to say that it is plume. Pretty horrible actually. Anyway, this is definitely mold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqzjnIJWic

Not to mention, plume is not "the sugar from the wrapper". What the hell is wrong with this guy? Jesus...
    I actually watched that yesterday that reallyturned me off to listening to anything he said. It looks 2 d and like sudar the cello is yellow on both but one has a white coloring on the cello as well but it is all over not splotchy.

I'll try to get pics up this morning
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    Heres what the cello that makes me nervous looks like

Heres the sticks in the cello

Out of cello

Hope those help because I can't tell
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Either way thats not bad enough to worry about wipe that s$%t off and smoke up.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    definitly mold, but I would agree that its doesn't look that bad. I have never smoked a lightly molded cigar so I don't know what to do next.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Send them to me and I'll smoke them both! If it worries you, wipe them off and you should be fine. If it was green, black and stinky, I would'nt even try to smoke it. From what I see in the photos, there is nothing to worry about. If you are putting them in the Humi, just wipe them off and all is good.

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I often see that on AF sticks for some reason. Maybe it grows on all the extra pectin they use.