Home Cigar 101

what am i doing wrong?

I am a newbie to be sure and I didn't think smoking would be this hard. For the last few days each stick I try is plugged... or gets plugged? I am currently alternating the last of the machine made grocery store purchases with the Primeros Regionals-Dominicans I picked up here. All was well a week ago but now it is frustrating as each smoke will get tighter and tighter as I smoke it. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Could be a variety of factors. If your humidity is too high, the filler expands and constricts airflow, leading to a tight draw. Could be the construction of the cigars themselves. How much of the cap are you cutting off? Try snipping a bit more off (as long as the cut remains above the cap line).

You mentioned that the draw gets tighter and tighter as you smoke it. How fast are you smoking? If you smoke too fast, it may increase the tar buildup throughout the course of the smoke, which can create a blockage.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    All good points, Sight. I'd also recommend switching to a handmade (not just handrolled - and yes, there is a difference) premium. Flavors will be better and construction should be better. Either way, don't get discouraged. It can be an overwhelming hobby at first, but it should be relaxing.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    It sounded to me as I reead this that the sticks may have been too moist. Sight did ask this question. When a stick is over moist it can start out burning OK but quickly becomes harder and harder to draw from, as the humidity builds in the stick as it is smoked. This causes the tobacco to swell and can completely close off any air spaces between the tobacco and block the draw.

Are you using a humidor? What kind of Hygrometer do you have? Is it calibrated? What RH is your humi holding at?

I would also suggest you try a few different sticks. Those Premiros are not the most consistent stick. I burned thru several of them when I was starting out and I remember how inconsistent they were. I would suggest you try out several of the house blends. These are well made, represent a good portion of the sticks out there on the market and can be had for cheap.
  • Thanks for all the information. I think it is probably the result of everything mentioned. I know on some of the gas station cigars I have seen the tar build up.
    Thinking back we have gotten inches of rain in the last few days so I am sure the moisture didn't do any good.
    I have been smoking fast. I only get about an hour on my drive home during the week so I tend to rush things.
    Tonight I will be able to sit out on the deck and take my time.
    I have not yet bought a humidor ( I have only been smoking for about 2 weeks) but will look to this board for guidance when I do.

Thanks to all for the input.

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    robert.beecher:
    Thanks for all the information. I think it is probably the result of everything mentioned. I know on some of the gas station cigars I have seen the tar build up.
    Thinking back we have gotten inches of rain in the last few days so I am sure the moisture didn't do any good.
    I have been smoking fast. I only get about an hour on my drive home during the week so I tend to rush things.
    I have not yet bought a humidor ( I have only been smoking for about 2 weeks) but will look to this board for guidance when I do.

A good way to tell if you are smoking too fast: If you ash your cigar and the end is cone-shaped, it means the wrapper is burning faster than the filler, which equals smoking too fast. The end of the cigar should be flat when you ash it. An equal burn means you'll get a more balanced flavor (since the wrapper, binder, and filler are combusting at the same rate) and less harshness.

And second what Rob and laker said about trying other smokes.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    You need a humidor of some type, even if it is just a ziplock and a slightly damp paper towel. As far as the drive goes, smoke slower. Better to enjoy half of a cigar that huff the thing down, all the while tasting like crap just to finish it. If an hour is your max I would look at Corona sized cigars. You can smoke them at a relaxed pace and finish them on your drive. If you are buying cigars at gas stations and grocery stores they are likely not stored very well. Tar can build up in any sticks, but at least give yourself every advantage.

My personal advice, if nothing else is to get to a reputable tobacconist, buy only a few sticks that you are going to smoke within the week and keep them in a ziplock. It isn't ideal, but it would make the best of the situation.

If you are going to smoke cigars, I can't recommend highly enough either building or buying a humidor. It is so nice to be able to have a selection to smoke whenever you would like and a variety to choose from to suit your mood.

Best of luck.
  • shawtdshawtd Posts: 72
    sightunseen:
    robert.beecher:
    Thanks for all the information. I think it is probably the result of everything mentioned. I know on some of the gas station cigars I have seen the tar build up.

A good way to tell if you are smoking too fast: If you ash your cigar and the end is cone-shaped, it means the wrapper is burning faster than the filler, which equals smoking too fast. The end of the cigar should be flat when you ash it. An equal burn means you'll get a more balanced flavor (since the wrapper, binder, and filler are combusting at the same rate) and less harshness.

That bit about the cone shape when you ash is good info. Hadn't read that before. Thanks!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    shawtd:
    sightunseen:
    robert.beecher:

That bit about the cone shape when you ash is good info. Hadn't read that before. Thanks!

+1........ I learn something new every day!
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    shawtd:
    sightunseen:
    robert.beecher:

+1........ I learn something new every day!
    +2, just learned something new myself
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    robert.beecher:

and on the same note if you tend to smoke too slow the center will burn in and leave the wrapper unburned.

of course, ring gauge has a factor in this.
    if you smoke a very large ring gauge (60ish) cigar a bit faster, it will not cone as easily or burn as hot. this is the entire reason why larger rings became popular. a novice could sit down and puff like mad on it and it would not burn too hot. if you smoke that same cigar at a "normal" pace it is more likely to burn inward leaving the wrapper. so in a way, larger ring cigars were meant to be smoked a bit faster. (though i still smoke them as slow as i can)

a very small ring cigar will burn very hot and bitter if smoked fast. to get any good flavor on a small ring cigar you NEED to slow down. however, if you slow down too much with the little guys they dont burn in, they just go out. finding the right pace is a difficult task to some.

i just try and smoke as slow as i can get away with.

• I have the sticks in a Ziplock bag now and have not had any more issues with plugging. I have also slowed down my smoking quite a bit. Now I am canoeing.
    I will be shopping for a humidor today. Suggestions more than welcome.
    Thanks for all the informative replies.

• shawtdshawtd Posts: 72
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:
    robert.beecher:

and on the same note if you tend to smoke too slow the center will burn in and leave the wrapper unburned.

of course, ring gauge has a factor in this.
    if you smoke a very large ring gauge (60ish) cigar a bit faster, it will not cone as easily or burn as hot. this is the entire reason why larger rings became popular. a novice could sit down and puff like mad on it and it would not burn too hot. if you smoke that same cigar at a "normal" pace it is more likely to burn inward leaving the wrapper. so in a way, larger ring cigars were meant to be smoked a bit faster. (though i still smoke them as slow as i can)

a very small ring cigar will burn very hot and bitter if smoked fast. to get any good flavor on a small ring cigar you NEED to slow down. however, if you slow down too much with the little guys they dont burn in, they just go out. finding the right pace is a difficult task to some.

i just try and smoke as slow as i can get away with.

Sounds like Kuzi is telling us to get more practice. Excellent advice. Glad I have a humi full of supplies to practice with....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    shawtd:
    Sounds like Kuzi is telling us to get more practice.
    practice makes perfect.