Home Cigar 101

Question On Mold...

DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
I recently came across a box of Anejo Sharks and most of the foot on them had mold. Out of the box there were 3 or 4 that didn't appear to have mold. None of the wrappers seemed to have the mold, just the foot so needless to say I passed on buying any. I was very frustrated seeing this especially at the price she wanted for them ($18/stick)...my question is, the ones that I could not see any mold on wrapper or foot my reason for not buying was because I thought that it would be possible that there was mold inside the cigar that you simply could not see....is that possible?

Comments

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    most likely not since mold grows from the outside in as far as I know but it was sure to have spores on it just waiting to spread so unless you were going to smoke them now you probley made the right choice
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Even if they did have the spores, as long as your humidor conditions are in the right range it wouldn't be able to grow. At least that's what I've been told.

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    bacon.jay:
    Even if they did have the spores, as long as your humidor conditions are in the right range it wouldn't be able to grow. At least that's what I've been told.

I've heard the same thing as well; mold spores are literally everywhere, all over your house. Whether they can grow or not depends on the conditions they're in
  • MBISONMBISON Posts: 45
    Don't matter if they were moldy on the inside or not, I would consider never going back to that place. Having moldy cigars on display leaves a lot to say from a cigar retailer.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1...outright tacky... and greedy, still trying to sell them in that condition.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Hawk55:
    That being said, I looked at a ton of other stuff with no issue, it can happen...its the Dominican...
  • MBISONMBISON Posts: 45
    Diamondog:
    Hawk55:
    That being said, I looked at a ton of other stuff with no issue, it can happen...its the Dominican...
    Got to agree with u on that one. I was a steady client from a great retailer for 3 years till I bought some Punch grand crus with beetles in them. Luckily enough, I noticed before getting them into my humies. When I returned them they gave me double the quantity of the same stogies from a brand new box and apologized for the hassle. Did not return for 1 year though.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Mold can grow on the foot and even on the interior given the right condition. I would let the shop owner know tell her she may even be able to send them back to fuente for replacement.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Mold can grow on the foot and even on the interior given the right condition. I would let the shop owner know tell her she may even be able to send them back to fuente for replacement.
    Oh definately she was made aware...
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I think I remember seeing an article about Fuente shipping some Anejos that had developed mold while stored in the boxes. I forget the outcome.