Home Cigar 101

cigar.com deluxe humidor

i just received this new humidor i am a beginner and am seeking information on properly setting my new humidor.i have 15 sticks that will end up being useless without a little TLC and expert instruction.can anyone give me a little help like a "humidors for dummies" type instruction thank you in advance

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    First you will need to season your humidor. Place a small dish full of distilled water into the empty humidor, shut it, and leave it shut for at least 3 days, opening it periodically. If the water has evaporated, refill it until it stops evaporating. This will properly acclimate the wood to a humid environment. You will also need a humidification device. The humidor probably came with a foam type humidifier, throw this out. Invest a few $$$ in some humidification beads from Heartfelt Industries. The small round humidifier would do fine for your humi. Most prefer the 65% beads as it generally makes most cigars smoke better. After your humidor is seasoned, place the cigars and the charged beads into the humi. You will need a hygrometer for monitoring the RH, a digital is vastly prefered to a analog. You can get a decent one at Walmart for $7. To test the accuracy of the hygrometer, perform what is called the "salt test". Place the hygrometer in a sealed container (tupperware works fine) with a small dish (water bottle cap works) of damp, but not soggy, salt. Leave it sealed for 24-48 hours. After this period the RH in the container will be 75%, so whatever your hygrometer reads, subtract that from 75%. This is how far off your hygrometer is, and will always need to be taken into account when reading your humidity. For example if your hygro is off by 7%, when it reads 58% the humidity will actually be 7%.

Thats about is as far as the basics go. While your humidor is seasoning you cna keep your cigars in a tupperware container using the foam humidifier that came with your humidor, until your beads come in!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    In addition to what mrpillow said, you can also use the search function on the forums to look for "humidor seasoning"