Home Cigar 101

Cold Effecting Burn

So like most of us on here the time i get to smoke is at night after work, dinner etc.... Im in New England and its starting to get cold at night.

so i was curious does the cold effect how a cigar burns?

Comments

• I was actually thinking the same myself as I layered up and put a hat on....no problems in ct yet
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I go out all winter long. The only thing I notice is the dry out a little quicker as the moisture in the cigar is sucked out. The cigar will also go out quicker between puffs. The best thing to do is not take a churchill out. I'm not the biggest small ring kind of guy, but in the winter they are my best friend. Look around and you can always find deals on a nice 5 X 44 (or smaller) stick. I also tend to lean more towards a value cigar for the winter due to the fact that if it gets too cold, I don't mind leaving it.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Cold does indeed affect cigars, just the same way it affects grilling. I can grill the same piece of meat in 80 degree weather with the sun out in the summer time and if I do it when it is in the 50s and dark it is going to take longer for the same fire. Since we can't really bring the heat up on a cigar, yeah they will take longer. My advice is smoke how long you want. If you aren't having fun with it anymore, put it down.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I smoked one when it was about 15 degrees outside. The cigar became so cold, it started to unravel. what a waste of an MoW!

"Long ashes my friends."

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed my cigars burning awkwardly when it's really, really cold outside but I've also learned that I don't really like smoking when it's that cold out anyway because I can hardly taste the flavors anymore. When it's just normal New England winter cold my cigars burn fine, I think it all comes down to the RH in the humi and what shape the cigars are in to begin with. During the winter I like to keep the RH a little higher, about 65%, rather than the 62% I prefer during the summer.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    bigharpoon:
    I've noticed my cigars burning awkwardly when it's really, really cold outside but I've also learned that I don't really like smoking when it's that cold out anyway because I can hardly taste the flavors anymore. When it's just normal New England winter cold my cigars burn fine, I think it all comes down to the RH in the humi and what shape the cigars are in to begin with. During the winter I like to keep the RH a little higher, about 65%, rather than the 62% I prefer during the summer.
    Where in Maine are you located?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I just moved away from the coast to spend a little time in the woods again. Now I live in Denmark, between Bridgton and Fryeburg.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Nice area, i lived in farmington NH growing up spent time up towards ossipee etc not to far from there.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Cold doesn't affect cigars at all IMO - they smoke just as well as they do any other time of year

. . . oh wait, you were talking about temps below 60F? Ah well, can't help you there, seeing as how I never really encounter those kinds of frigid temps ;)

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I think cold temps have a huge impact on cigars. When its winter here and I head out I find the cigars tend to be more bitter which might be directly related to the fact that I need to smoke it faster since it wants to go out faster. The coldest I have tried to smoke one was -28 F but I am hoping to break that record this year.