Home Cigar 101

Keeping Track of Inventory

I have a Imac and dont have all the office programs on it just general software.
I was wondering what you guys use if any one is in my shoes to keep track of inventory and reviews of the smoke?

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I was looking for something for an imac as well... I ended up settling on moblestogie for my iphone... it's a nice ap, but I find that I usually don't update it... but I'm just lazy i guess
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    robbyras:
    I was looking for something for an imac as well... I ended up settling on moblestogie for my iphone... it's a nice ap, but I find that I usually don't update it... but I'm just lazy i guess
    I was contemplating that but im way faster at typing on my computer then the phone. will the app work through itunes?

My buddy also told me about Neo Office. Looks like a way to get office programs on your imac. its free but they ask for donations. Not 100% sure how well it works.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I have microsoft office 2004 on my mac... so you can get office if you want it or you can pick up iWork... not sure how much it is though
    Ya i was gonna get that to use spreadsheet but not sure if i really want to drop $80+ that money can be used on sticks.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    So, every time you smoke a stick you're going to turn on your computer and do a little data entry afterward? Really?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, or a smart ass. It's a genuine question.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I use Excel. but like anything if you dont keep up with it, it turns into garbage. Garbage in, garbage out. and no I dont run in and update it. Usually I run in and log Ccom and update my review site! Ok, not usually, just sometimes. But I think when its a cigar I'm reviewing then I do run in to try and drop my thoughts.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I open my humidor, and ask myself, "O awesome me (can you tell I have an ego?), what are you in the mood for today?" And I smoke it. If I like it, I buy a box down eventually; if not, I toss it. So my humidor is pretty much divided up into boxes and singles - the boxes are smokes I know I'll like, and the singles/5-packs are smokes I haven't tried yet.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    I have a Imac and dont have all the office programs on it just general software.
    I was wondering what you guys use if any one is in my shoes to keep track of inventory and reviews of the smoke?
    Not to be a smartazz, but to keep track of my inventory, I use cabinet...as in I open my cabinet and what is in there is my inventory. I ain't going to stress out about spreadsheets and tracking all my cigars that I get to relieve my stress. If you are looking to track age of cigars just use little sticky dots and place them on the cello or band.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I use a notebook call me old fashion I guss
    Russ55:
    So, every time you smoke a stick you're going to turn on your computer and do a little data entry afterward? Really?

My computer is always on and im usually on it every day. so its not like im going out of my way.

Im prob not going to right anything indepth after every stick but just some quick notes of flavor so as i age some sticks and smoke one several months from now i can compare.
  • shawtdshawtd Posts: 72
    I just created a note on my iphone. I do always have it with me and it is always on. I just take note of what I smoked and if I liked it. Very simple. As for inventory, I don't have a large enough stash to worry about at all.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    get a google account. use google docs. it has a spreadsheet program that is pretty good. not quite a full version of excel but not bad. it's saved in your google account. works great.
    as for me. I don't have a huge inventory so I just smoke what I want and keep a mental count of the sticks I really really like
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I use mobile stogie for my iphone. It's very easy to use and quick. The author actually just sold the app to someone who will actually start updating it, finally. The only thing that is a pain is when you first have to enter all your cigars. Everytime I get a cigar, it takes about a min (although I am on an old 3G) to enter it into the database and vice versa. Oh, and it also lets you export to a excel spreadsheet and email all from inside the app. Sure beats the hell out of having to fire up a PC and open a SS and update.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    RaschNuts:
    Russ55:

My computer is always on and im usually on it every day. so its not like im going out of my way.

Im prob not going to right anything indepth after every stick but just some quick notes of flavor so as i age some sticks and smoke one several months from now i can compare.
    Yeah, likewise. The notes I can see, but the inventory just seems like work.

Now that I think about it, I actually have a text file that I write down anything that is box worthy, and 5 pack worthy. I don't take specific notes, but if it goes on there it's something I really like. That does help me keep track in a way.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    you could save the data entry until you have about five or so to input...just keep notes if you don't remember all the info.
  • jship079:
    +1
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    RaschNuts:
    If you are looking to track age of cigars just use little sticky dots and place them on the cello or band.

Exactly what I do.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I don't do it on every stick, but for the sticks that I put in my aging humi I put a little sticker with the date I got them on it. That way I can celebrate their birthdays. As for everything else, I used to use excel but after a month of having to go in and removing a cigar that I smoked got old. Now I buy and smoke.
    KCW:
    bandyt09:
    RaschNuts:
    If you are looking to track age of cigars just use little sticky dots and place them on the cello or band.

Exactly what I do.
    I just write the date on the cello.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    KCW:
    bandyt09:
    RaschNuts:

Exactly what I do.
    I just write the date on the cello.
    I use the Sticky note for date also. But i am more looking to do this so i know what i do and dont have. to remember what i have when you have over 100+ sticks isnt that easy when i have 100+ other things going on to remember just easy to look at a list real quick. then sift through the Humi.

I ended up getting Mobile Stogie for the iphone.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    So I decided Mobile Sotgie sounds cool enough to get. Problem is I have an original ipod touch and it says I need iphone software 4.1. Is there any workaround for this or am I SOL?
    One2gofst:
    So I decided Mobile Sotgie sounds cool enough to get. Problem is I have an original ipod touch and it says I need iphone software 4.1. Is there any workaround for this or am I SOL?
    It should work fine.

"Long ashes my friends."

One2gofst:
    Can you upgrade to the 4.1 software? That should solve the problem
    It says I have the most current version already. I dunno
    not sure then. Maybe time for the new ipod? or an Ipad?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    brotheradam:
    jship079:
    +1
    i date cigars as i put them in. if i buy them i dont add them to the notebook. if they are a trade or a gift i jot down who gave it to me. every now and then ill put a note on the wrapper binder and filler if it is hard to find.
    RaschNuts:
    not sure then. Maybe time for the new ipod? or an Ipad?
    Now $4 I can handle, but not a few hundred $.
  • G-ZowG-Zow Posts: 7
    Just recently I found a program for my mac called iFicionado, as I'm writing this im playing with it, it seems pretty neat, you can add humidors, add in cigars, and even track your temp & humidity. You can check it out at http://merelyadequate.net/joshjellel/iFicionado/index.html
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    G-Zow:
    Just recently I found a program for my mac called iFicionado, as I'm writing this im playing with it, it seems pretty neat, you can add humidors, add in cigars, and even track your temp & humidity. You can check it out at http://merelyadequate.net/joshjellel/iFicionado/index.html
    Thanks for sharing, will have to give it a try!
  • sppd81sppd81 Posts: 26
    Nick2021:
    G-Zow:
    Thanks for sharing, will have to give it a try!
    I tried the iFicionado... It won't run on my mac. Not sure if it's outdated or what. Let me know if it still works for anyone else out there.