Home Cigar 101

Factors influencing Lighter Clogs

After looking at these forums I have narrowed down a list of four factors that people feel seem to be influencing lighter clogs. 1) quality of the butane lighter 2) refinement level of butane 3) method of refilling butane 4) operating temperature of lighter and butane fuel. I personally think that the quality of lighter and refinement level of butane are not as big of a factor. My cheap (no-name $13) lighter and my cheap (ronsonol with no disclosed refinement level) fuel INITIALLY gave me problems. I researched on the forums and made two changes... I purged before refilling and I kept the lighter in my pocket to stay at room/body temperature. Since then, my lighter and butane are working AMAZINGLY. So, my conclusion is that factor 1 and factor 2 are less important then factors 3 and 4. What do other folks think?

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, yeah my ccom light still lights with ease. I use vector fuel so the fuel is good. my xikar has lighting problems as does my perdomo table lighter. I need to get some air to purge the lighters and see if it works. I think I purged the lighters whenever I filled them but maybe not all the time. I doubt that would cause many issues however it could. I have since purged then filled and still have issues getting a flame.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol, yeah my ccom light still lights with ease. I use vector fuel so the fuel is good. my xikar has lighting problems as does my perdomo table lighter. I need to get some air to purge the lighters and see if it works. I think I purged the lighters whenever I filled them but maybe not all the time. I doubt that would cause many issues however it could. I have since purged then filled and still have issues getting a flame.
    Oddly enough, I've never purged my Perdomo table lighter (and I leave it outside almost all the time), and it still lights on the first click after 6mo of abuse. It's actually the only torch I've ever had that lights on the first click; all the others require 2 clicks
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I dont know what it is about living at 5 thousand feet, but my lighters just did not work worth a crap. I was using the walyworld brand fuel, then I switched to Xikar fuel........ MUCH BETTER. All 3 lighters now work well, im thinking quality of fuel is a big issue.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Most of my lighters meet their end in a swamp in my pocket so fuel quality is the least of my worries.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I must be missing something here....Squirrel, why do you need air to purge the lighters? How does that work. I thought purging was letting the air out before re-fuelign by depressing the filler on the lighter with some type tool? I sometimes use canned air to try to spray away any contaminents from the top of the lighter near where the flames are...
  • Hawk55:
    I must be missing something here....Squirrel, why do you need air to purge the lighters? How does that work. I thought purging was letting the air out before re-fuelign by depressing the filler on the lighter with some type tool? I sometimes use canned air to try to spray away any contaminents from the top of the lighter near where the flames are...

I agree. When I said purge I meant the same thing. Just letting the old butane out and replacing with fresh butane. That along with keeping my lighter at a fairly consistent temperature keeps my lighter working very well. I am sure we all have our opinions but I thought it was interesting how alot of people will pay $40, $60, or even over $100 on a lighter they don't necessarily perform as well as less expensive lighters and fuel.