Home Cigar 101

Can I put the Tin in the Humi ?

So I got the Padilla Heavy Hitter Sampler Tin. Can I Put the Whole Tin in my Humi ? Everything stay Humidified ?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I think circulation would be better if you took the cigars out of the tin.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Yes this is what i was thinking but wouldn't it be the same as having an unopened box in the Humi. Like when they store all the boxes in the B&M
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Cank:
    Yes this is what i was thinking but wouldn't it be the same as having an unopened box in the Humi. Like when they store all the boxes in the B&M
    Yes, it would be similar, perhaps better as tins don't tend to seal as closely as wood boxes.
    j0z3r:
    The Cank:
    Yes, it would be similar, perhaps better as tins don't tend to seal as closely as wood boxes.
    Would it be offset by the fact that wood boxes "breathe" and are permeable while tin is not?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    sightunseen:
    j0z3r:
    The Cank:
    Would it be offset by the fact that wood boxes "breathe" and are permeable while tin is not?
    Anything that gets between your cigar and the humid air is gonna slow down the aging process; this goes for cellophane as well as metal and wood. If you're ok with a slower aging process, then I doubt it really matters whether you keep the cigars in tin or in wood (only difference being in how slow they age)
    Cool, Thanks guys
  • xmacro:
    sightunseen:
    j0z3r:
    The Cank:
    Anything that gets between your cigar and the humid air is gonna slow down the aging process; this goes for cellophane as well as metal and wood. If you're ok with a slower aging process, then I doubt it really matters whether you keep the cigars in tin or in wood (only difference being in how slow they age)
    i take all my sticks out of the cello i know it's a bit of a hot topic but *** it that's the way i roll..there's nothing like unwrapping your fresh order touching and smelling each stick..
  • Frootloops:
    xmacro:
    sightunseen:
    j0z3r:
    The Cank:
    i take all my sticks out of the cello i know it's a bit of a hot topic but *** it that's the way i roll..there's nothing like unwrapping your fresh order touching and smelling each stick..
    I second that Frootloops! I love to open my cabi and smell the aroma of cigars....i wasnt getting that when they were all in cello.
    sightunseen:
    j0z3r:
    The Cank:
    probably, that's a good point Tony.
    j0z3r:
    sightunseen:
    j0z3r:
    The Cank:
    probably, that's a good point Tony.
    I think once again the "right" answer is user preference.
    I would love to take them all out of the Celo but I am worried about them all meshing flavors together. Is this something I should not be worried about ? I have always thought that nice humidor looks the best with a bunch of naked sticks in it.
    The Cank:
    I would love to take them all out of the Celo but I am worried about them all meshing flavors together. Is this something I should not be worried about ? I have always thought that nice humidor looks the best with a bunch of naked sticks in it.
    Honestly, I'd be more worried about nude sticks chipping and cracking. If you can detect flavors that marry from one cigar to another, and neither is an Acid, then you've got a much more sensitive palate than I do, in other words I doubt you'd notice any marriage of flavor.
  • I have never really posted on the forums, but a bad experiance prompted a foul. I had a problem about a year ago with slapping some tins in a humidor. About 6 months aging I opened them to find a nice blue fuzzy mold and some soggy cigars. They seemed to have cooked and sweated themselves to death. Just a thought.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Here is my $.02, take it for what it's worth. If boxes, tins, cello, etc stopped humidity from getting to the sticks, it would also stop humidity from escaping as well, making humidors unnecessary if you just kept the cigars in a box, tin, cello, etc. We all know that if you leave any of these things out in a dry environment, the sticks are going to dry out. Therefore, I say leave them in or take them out, whatever you prefer. As long as the container is not airtight, you will have circulation and humidification.
    hhmmm something to think about.... I don't know what I'm going to do
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I got my dad into smoking cigars a couple years ago. The only thing he smokes is the small flavored tin sticks. I set him up with a small humi and a bottle of solution to keep them humified. To this date he has never had a issue of any kind, and he keeps 8 or so tins in the humi at any time.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Based on the responses in this thread, if you leave the cigar in the airtight tube, it should continue to age if humidity was trapped in the tube with the cigar correct? If it's not airtight, humidity would still get into the tube...almost sounds like you should leave it in the tube regardless if putting in a humidor.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Nick2021:
    Based on the responses in this thread, if you leave the cigar in the airtight tube, it should continue to age if humidity was trapped in the tube with the cigar correct? If it's not airtight, humidity would still get into the tube...almost sounds like you should leave it in the tube regardless if putting in a humidor.
    Tubos, IME, were never designed to climate control cigars. They are merely a handy way to take singles with your without damaging them and/or a nice presentation. That said, I am of the opinion that you should put them in your humi. If you want to leave them in the tubes or take them out that is a personal decision that I believe does not have any effect on the sticks, all other things being equal.
    ok So I took all of my premiums out of the celo. I will see how that works.... They look so nice........