Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Blu-Rays

Thought it might be interesting to talk about blu-rays....some stuff I have picked up recently...just completed my 5.1 surround sound setup been waiting about a year to spring for the surrounds, so I am very excited to get them setup shortly...movies I have picked up recently, The Exorcist, haven't had a chance to watch took a quick look, looked real good....I am 3/4's of the way through Apoccalypse Now, very nice quality, weird note on this one...the distribution company in Canada screwed up on this one, all Canadian copies of the "Complete Dossier" collection are missing the 48 page booklet, the movies, orig version and redux are on the disc stamped "Special Features" not the one labelled "Feature Presentation", apparently the credit are missing on both versions, Redux may also be 6 mins shorter, so I will be replacing my copy once this is all fixed however wonder if it would be collectible? Today I just picked up the Alien Anthology, 8 versions of the 4 movies, this is supposed to be one of the best blu-ray productions yet, cannot wait to watch these...

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Avatar just came out on blu-ray. That should be pretty epic.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Really looking forward to Toy Story 3 this week, love watching these with my kids...
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    sounds good man, im headed there myself. dont mean to hijack your thread, but i have a home theater question. I have a decent 5.1 sony receiver. its old, but works great. the speakers however... are getting tired. I assume I can just replace the speakers? any ideas or suggestions on that?
  • Options
    NYHCx516x:
    sounds good man, im headed there myself. dont mean to hijack your thread, but i have a home theater question. I have a decent 5.1 sony receiver. its old, but works great. the speakers however... are getting tired. I assume I can just replace the speakers? any ideas or suggestions on that?
    I researched for about a year a number of different speakers manufacturers and settled on a Canadian based company called Axiom http://www.axiomaudio.com/index2.html, IMO there are no better speakers on the planet in the price range in fact their speakers are often reviewed compared to speakers in much higher price ranges...I started with floors (M80's) and center (VP150) and then when I could afford added in sub (EP500) and then just recently 1 set of QS8 surrounds and will eventually add in a 2nd set for 7.1...
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a Samsung Blu Ray with built in WiFi which is way cool. First movie I bought was Avatar. Absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    Just grabbed Toy Story 3 and The Pacific today....love watching the animated stuff with the kids...think I will have to do a Band Of Brothers/The Pacific weekend soon!
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    So I have been thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player. Any ideas where to start looking? I have no idea about this and do not know anything about the technology, price range for decent set up, etc. Any information would be great thanks guys.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    So I have been thinking about getting a Blu-Ray player. Any ideas where to start looking? I have no idea about this and do not know anything about the technology, price range for decent set up, etc. Any information would be great thanks guys.
    I'm in the same boat. Don't know much about them. I've heard the discs are a little more durable than dvds, and the machines will still play my current dvds. Anyone know if that's true?
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    Sandman1am:
    I'm in the same boat. Don't know much about them. I've heard the discs are a little more durable than dvds, and the machines will still play my current dvds. Anyone know if that's true?

I am in the same boat too. I have a HD projector instead of a TV but we dont currently have any HD devices so we were kicking around the idea of either a PS3 or a bonafied blu-ray player. Thoughts? All all players created equal? I would assume that the viewing quality does not change much from one player to another but I have no idea.
  • Options
    I went with a PS3, I wanted the option of gaming but use it basically for blu-rays...I have another blu-ray player cheap (refurb) for my wifes TV....like anything better quality more features the higher the price...if you game PS3 is a no brainer otherwise I would stick with whats on sale...blu-ray picture quality and audio are phenomininal...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I will add to the others, and say while I know all the new fun stuff---I am retarded to most of it.......Can someone explain the difference (maybe its just quality) between DVD and Blu-Ray??? Also, whats the deal with projection TV vs hd vs plasma? And how about this new 3-D stuff???

Tech nuts and nerds...this is my plea for your knowledge.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    I'm also "dumb" and would have to read up on this...to my knowledge, it's like HD in a sense that you have to have all of the necessary equipment (right tv, cables, Blu-Ray player) for the Blue Ray quality to actually work. Otherwise, you'll be watching the same quality as you would with a normal DVD player.