Home General Discussion

Wanted: rugged and reliable lighter!

I have had problems with several brands of torch lighter.  I've bought high end Colibri which, admittedly, lasted for a couple years until the top broke off, and I've bought cheap (ahem Ronson jetlite.) Surprisingly, the Ronson to date has out performed the Colibri.  However it is getting tired and you I take it to work. So if anyone can recommend a good single flame torch lighter that isn't too expensive and has had a good track record let me know.   

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    That Ronson Jetlite you have is about the most reliable jet lighter I know of. Get another if you want another lighter. If you really must have a more expensive lighter I really like my Xikar Eris, but I have had to exchange it once, FWIW.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I think one of the sales reps here can fix your lighter if you ship it to him. Can't remember who it is though.

I've got a Rocky Patel lighter that's been a tank for the three years I've had it. Wore off a good chunk of the finish but it's working like a champ.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Single flame? Xikar executive or the new crossover are pretty nice (Ccom has some nice deals on them); if you're willing to go bigger, the Perdomo (Thundra?) Table Lighter (triple torch) is probably the most reliable and durable lighter I've ever owned. I abuse the hell out of it, and it always lights on the first click after almost a year of being left outside in the FL humidity every day
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    I think one of the sales reps here can fix your lighter if you ship it to him. Can't remember who it is though.

I've got a Rocky Patel lighter that's been a tank for the three years I've had it. Wore off a good chunk of the finish but it's working like a champ.
    I'll back Garen on this one, I've got the same torch and it works great. I won it at an event and have never had a problem with it.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    The best thing I've had has been my old Zippo that I purchased the Zippo butane insert for, been workng great all summer.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Hard to beat a Ronson Jetlite.
  • spidahspidah Posts: 12
    If i could find more of the Jetlite lighters I would buy five!
  • spidahspidah Posts: 12
    Garen B:

Which RP lighter do you have? I have actually looked at a couple but didn't know if they were worth the price tag.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a bunch of these Kang lighters with dual torch and dual punch cutters for cheap and they are awesome. I have 2 Xikar lights and love them. Single and dual torch and they never fail to work. I just take good care of them. The cheap one goes everywhere and it has never failed me either.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Here's the one I got spidah, I forgot how much I paid for it Link!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Seriously, the Ronson is the best thing you can possibly buy for cheap and reliable. Buy two or three, that way, if one breaks, you have back ups, and you have only spent like 10$ total...
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Blue Rhino "Beast" triple torch flame.My son bought it for me and works great with good fuel.I love it.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    jsnake:
    I bought a bunch of these Kang lighters with dual torch and dual punch cutters for cheap and they are awesome.
    Jake sent me one of these and it is one of the best lighters I have. The only one I like better is my Xikar soft flame. That Kang is a champ though! Fuel lasts, the punches in the bottom are extra handy, it's just a reliable, durable lighter.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Bugatti B-1. Not too expensive, great flame, and it looks awesome.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Bugatti B-1. Not too expensive, great flame, and it looks awesome.
    I have one and it worked awesome for a while, but lately it doesn't want to stay lit.

• I've really enjoyed my Lotus lighter with the MOW logo on it. It's only been since June but I like not having to refill it all the time like my cheaper colbri.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    The Vector Knight,,,surprisingly it looks like the Bugotti B-1 that sells for $50 but the Knight is only $19 and works just as good.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this is going to sound like heresy, but, I'm currently using a solaray with some kind of cheap fuel called "Power". Used the Vertigo for about a year, with Ronson fuel. As long as it was 70 degrees, 50% humidity, and no breeze, and held upright, and adjusted just right, it worked, sometimes. Replacing the Ronson with Power helped, but I was stiil always cleaning with a toothpick or something. The solaray ($5.99) works every time, any position, all temperatures and humidity, so far. The only problem I've had was when I filled it with Ronson, which hisses, but only lights occasionally.

This is not to naysay any of the opinions above, just my experience. As long as the cheapy keeps doing a good job, I'm keeping with it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • cacmancacman Posts: 22
    I respectfully offer my comments regarding the choice of a “gentlemans” lighter to post http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/208130.aspx