Home Non Cigar Related

Election

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Don't know about most of you, but I love politics and elections are a lot like a 2nd Super Bowl for me. I will be staying up late next Tuesday w/ my cigar and drink watching the returns. And yes, I know I have no life, but elections have consequences and this up coming election is probably the most important election I have ever participated in.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I see red...and I love it.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    ...until the next one------which is part of the beauty of politics.

I used to do the same, and will to a degree....but with 2 babies, wife sick this week, ect.....early bed sounds nice asap.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'll be staying up and watching as well; a cigar and a drink sounds like a good way to stay calm as the results roll in
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    This is probably the most interested I've been in a mid-term. Besides the National picture we have some good local races going on.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I will be keeping score and cheering the red team
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually vote for the Libertarian, if there is one. If none, then whichever one will probably do me the most good, which, ironically is the Democrat, since I'm not a CEO or hedge fund manager. However, for God's sakes, California, please get rid of Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi! Their giving their Party a bad name, and it doesn't need the help!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    However, for God's sakes, California, please get rid of Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi! Their giving their Party a bad name, and it doesn't need the help!

Right On!! Tell me about it!!

Marty

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Im going to vote a straight ticket, with a twist... every name I see on the ticket with an "i" for incumbent, Im voting for the OTHER guy (or gal)! A message needs to be sent, and I dont care WHAT party you (as a sitting politician) are in, you bear some of the responsibility for everything we are dealing with. This crap has gone on long enough.

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I early voted and, unlike the other party, not early and often. This is only the second election I've been eligible to vote in in quite some time, and the first one that I actually voted in. I think a message will be sent, but will it be heard?
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    The Sniper:
    Im going to vote a straight ticket, with a twist... every name I see on the ticket with an "i" for incumbent, Im voting for the OTHER guy (or gal)! A message needs to be sent, and I dont care WHAT party you (as a sitting politician) are in, you bear some of the responsibility for everything we are dealing with. This crap has gone on long enough.

HA! Good one Sniper! I do agree with Ug Dan though, this is the most interested I've been in a mid term. I would like to see fewer ads and more debates though. I have a running joke with my wife that I will vote based on which ad I heard most recently (stupid Bill Brady, no wait, he's cool).
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    ljl:
    The Sniper:

HA! Good one Sniper! I do agree with Ug Dan though, this is the most interested I've been in a mid term. I would like to see fewer ads and more debates though. I have a running joke with my wife that I will vote based on which ad I heard most recently (stupid Bill Brady, no wait, he's cool).
    speaking of attack ads, I would like to see more people run on their record rather than attack...oh yeah, I forgot...the Dems can't do that this time around....HA!

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    ljl:
    The Sniper:

speaking of attack ads, I would like to see more people run on their record rather than attack...oh yeah, I forgot...the Dems can't do that this time around....HA!
    Speaking of attacks indeed.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    ljl:
    The Sniper:

Guess you don't get to hear the Robin Carnahan / Roy Blunt ads down there, quite the opposite of what you must be getting.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I'm actually running for office this year. I've spent every weekend this summer knocking on doors, putting up yard signs, tracking down votes on Facebook, debates etc. So tomorrow night I'll either be a county commissioner, or looking for the next project. Either way, it was really interesting going door to door in my district. Commissioner is nonpartisan, but my small government slant is pretty obvious.
    The POTUS went on Univision and called those who disagree with him, enemies! The very people he has sworn to protect and said it to a Latino audience many of which are not even citizens. How much is enough?
    I dont know Gypsy----how much is enough????(wait this isnt a punchline is it?)
    Vulchor regardless of any of our political differences, the POTUS calling American citizens who have not engaged in armed insurrection, his enemies, is wrong and he knows it thus the back tracking he is doing on it. Saying it to an audience that includes some who are not citizens is over the line.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Amos Umwhat:
    However, for God's sakes, California, please get rid of Barbara Boxer and Nancy Pelosi! Their giving their Party a bad name, and it doesn't need the help!

Right On!! Tell me about it!!

Marty

I agree wholeheartedly with this, however, too many people live in California that don't take this voting this serious enough. They wait until the last moment to even open up the voter book and get all their "research" from liberal media forums. They believe in the words that Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins etc. spew and do not do any research on their own. I, for one, am a frustrated California voter but will never give up the fight.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    Don't know about most of you, but I love politics and elections are a lot like a 2nd Super Bowl for me.
    I think politics around election time is a lot more like Pro-Wrestling. I'll be watching, rapt tonight as well.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    LeftFive:
    Krieg:
    Don't know about most of you, but I love politics and elections are a lot like a 2nd Super Bowl for me.
    I think politics around election time is a lot more like Pro-Wrestling. I'll be watching, rapt tonight as well.

• I really hate how partisan this country has become. Why don't we just get rid of the parties and vote people based on what we liked?
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Pelosi - good riddance!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    Pelosi - good riddance!
    She will go down in history as one of the dumbest Speakers ever. She really is a moron.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    lilwing88:
    JZ:
    Pelosi - good riddance!
    She will go down in history as one of the dumbest Speakers ever. She really is a moron.

+1
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Well folks, I worked my butt off door knocking every weekend this summer. It paid off, I walked away with 59% of the vote against a very popular local name. Looks like I'm a county commissioner.
    Theedge:
    Well folks, I worked my butt off door knocking every weekend this summer. It paid off, I walked away with 59% of the vote against a very popular local name. Looks like I'm a county commissioner.
    Congrats Bro, what did you burn for a victory cigar?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Theedge:
    Congratulations! I thought about running for some kind of office, but I highly doubt anyone would vote for me, LOL

"Long ashes my friends."

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how to say this, other than you people are retarded. Sure I don't like a lot of the dems that lost, most of them were what caused such a problem for the party but to cheer on people who have done nothing to help the country move out of this hole and have nothing to offer to do so is just ... well I have no words. some of you are in the later years and if by any chance the senate and WH go red you may see your benefits go away, and maybe worse. You people have really no idea how this election was won. But hell, enjoy it, after all.

http://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/reports?id=0474

More than what the GOP will do, in fact you could say more progress than they will do. But let's believe what the media tells us. It's a bad night to be an American. Our political system was bought and most of this is due to money and a lot of people bought into it. On top of that it shows that a lot of people don't vote on accomplishments/facts or the politicians ability to govern, it shows they vote on what they are told even if it a lie.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    I Love Poitics and the Stragety Also, but what i DO KNOW is this,
    Political Anonymity Keeps friends Friends, Politics and religon Ruins friendships.
    But as I watched Live The QUote of the Century In Politics came from Jerry Brown (before Meg Whitman Conceded and he made a Politcal Move never done before accepting without a Concession)
    Jerry Brown Said " welll all the votes havent been Counted but HELL ist close enough for Government WOrk" as he claimed the Govenor of California ....... w e are F-U-C-K-E-D !~
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    phobicsquirrel:
    I don't know how to say this, other than you people are retarded. Sure I don't like a lot of the dems that lost, most of them were what caused such a problem for the party but to cheer on people who have done nothing to help the country move out of this hole and have nothing to offer to do so is just ... well I have no words. some of you are in the later years and if by any chance the senate and WH go red you may see your benefits go away, and maybe worse. You people have really no idea how this election was won. But hell, enjoy it, after all.

http://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/reports?id=0474

More than what the GOP will do, in fact you could say more progress than they will do. But let's believe what the media tells us. It's a bad night to be an American. Our political system was bought and most of this is due to money and a lot of people bought into it. On top of that it shows that a lot of people don't vote on accomplishments/facts or the politicians ability to govern, it shows they vote on what they are told even if it a lie.
    Thanks for the name calling. It was a real class act.