Home Cigar 101
Options

Beads Breaking Down?

hey guys sorry havent posted in a while been a little busy. Got a quick question though. I looked at my hygro today and noticed it drop to 56% so i opened the bag to see how my beads were. I noticed that they were cracking and breaking down. What would be the cause of this?

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    aron325:
    hey guys sorry havent posted in a while been a little busy. Got a quick question though. I looked at my hygro today and noticed it drop to 56% so i opened the bag to see how my beads were. I noticed that they were cracking and breaking down. What would be the cause of this?
    It can happen from over watering the beads when you did water them. I use a 1 liter bottle of distilled water. I just place it in my coolerdor with the top off. The beads soak up moisture over a few days and they are good for a few months. You could use a shot glass or something in a smaller humidor.
  • Options
    hmmmm......the only conclusion would be super dried out beads or just poor quality beads. What brand of beads are they? How often were you soaking them in distilled water or pg solution?
  • Options
    AQUADGIO1200:
    hmmmm......the only conclusion would be super dried out beads or just poor quality beads. What brand of beads are they? How often were you soaking them in distilled water or pg solution?
    You NEVER use PG solution on beads. Only distilled water. The PG solution clogs the beads and they don't work properly after using it.
  • Options
    aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    they are conservagel and prob three months ago was last time i watered them. noticed my humidity way down to %56 and charged them last night. when i put water on them they started crackling. im assuming they were probably just dried out.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    AQUADGIO1200:
    You NEVER use PG solution on beads. Only distilled water. The PG solution clogs the beads and they don't work properly after using it.
    Laker1963....you are right....i use Xikar gel jars....which are refilled with pg solution....i mistakenly confused the gel with the beads which are different.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I have 65% conservagel beads and have had them for over a year and have no issues with mine ..... and I know alot of BORK'S use them and have not had issues ..... I think we were trying to make sure they were not ebay beads .
  • Options
    aron325:
    they are conservagel and prob three months ago was last time i watered them. noticed my humidity way down to %56 and charged them last night. when i put water on them they started crackling. im assuming they were probably just dried out.
    Then go back to my first statement. You may be overwatering them. They will crack and break if too much water is used on them. How are you applying the water? A mister is all you should use and remember to keep at least 10% of your beads uncharged so they can absorb excess moisture too.
    I also use Conservagel beads, and have been for over a year. These work great. This will also happen with the Heartfelt beads too. You have to add moisture slowly.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    laker1963:
    aron325:
    Then go back to my first statement. You may be overwatering them. They will crack and break if too much water is used on them. How are you applying the water? A mister is all you should use and remember to keep at least 10% of your beads uncharged so they can absorb excess moisture too.
    I also use Conservagel beads, and have been for over a year. These work great. This will also happen with the Heartfelt beads too. You have to add moisture slowly.
    The good news is, if I'm not mistaken the beads will still work just fine even after cracking like this.

• Options
    ok thank you
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I use the cat litter beads and they do this as well, but my humi still sits at about 68-72 all the time.

• Options
    yea they were low as well my humidity has gone back up to %63 so I think that was the problem. I appreciate all the help.