Home Cigar 101

Flavored Cigars Illegal in New York WTF!!!

I was in Queens yesterday taking my NCCCO crane classes and at lunch time wandered into a B&M shop close to the school.I asked the guy there if he had any maduros or anything with a sweet cap etc. he looked at me like I was A ****, And told me all flavored cigars in NEW YORK ARE ILLEGAL AND CAN NO LONGER BE SOLD. Why would they make them illegal? I tried other places as well and the S.O.B. was right I cant find em anywhere. S@#t man!

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    It probably is looked upon as marketing to children
  • Big ErnBig Ern Posts: 72
    yea, your probably right. Michael Bloomberg (The Mayor of New york) has been doing alot of crazy things here. They are proposing a tax on Soda,Sweets,and anything else that is good but bad for you.You would be shocked at the lunacy and ridiculous prices for everything in New York
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    For some reason, I smell a recall coming for New York. Soon, they'll be banning all cigars, cigarettes, sodas, sweets, junk food, pizzas, and sex. Talk about pleasure police.
  • wow that absolutely ridiculous
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    For some reason, I smell a recall coming for New York. Soon, they'll be banning all cigars, cigarettes, sodas, sweets, junk food, pizzas, and sex. Talk about pleasure police.
    Oh, if Bloomberg could ban them, he would. He's improved parts of ny, but screwed up even more. And I hadn't heard of this ban. I'll have to look into it. No Acid or anything?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    PsychoSJG:
    wwhwang:
    Oh, if Bloomberg could ban them, he would. He's improved parts of ny, but screwed up even more. And I hadn't heard of this ban. I'll have to look into it. No Acid or anything?
    LOL My initial reaction was its about time someone took a legal stance against Acids! :-D

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    PsychoSJG:
    wwhwang:
    LOL My initial reaction was its about time someone took a legal stance against Acids! :-D

Someone just misinturpreted the LSD ban.
    Goldy:
    The Sniper:
    PsychoSJG:
    wwhwang:

Someone just misinturpreted the LSD ban.
    Haha to both. Acid is a good gateway smoke. Helps the transition to real cigars.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Is this just a city thing? or is the shop owner misinformed?
    I'll ask next time I'm in my local B&M, but I haven't heard anything about this.

:edit:
    I should have looked before I posted, looks like you're right. Story
    "The ban will likely kick in around February, and cost the city up to $2 million a year in lost sales tax revenues."
    Way to go Bloomberg. I'll be the first to say he's done some great stuff for New York, but there's a lot of stupid *** mixed in there.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    maduros arent "flavored"
    they are 100% natural tobacco. shouldnt be illegal.

Flavored tobacco is Big Tobacco's version of training wheels? Cigars are addictive and target kids? Kids need to be protected? City council voted 46 to 1 on this issue? And the only person that says "No" says that tobacco sales is already illegal for minors. Looks like the NY city council only has one brain for 47 bodies.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    1 the only kids buying cigars are cutting them open to put herb in
    2 What about pipe tobbacco I sure they just cant stop the hole pipe tobbacco sales for the most part
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    It'd be a cold cold day in Hell if he ever managed to ban pizza in NYC.

• I think you can still buy menthol cigarettes though...cuz menthol apparently isn't a flavor.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    danger350:
    I think you can still buy menthol cigarettes though...cuz menthol apparently isn't a flavor.
    Menthol ain't a flavor yo, it's a way of life. Anybody got a kool? Wink [;)]
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    danger350:
    I think you can still buy menthol cigarettes though...cuz menthol apparently isn't a flavor.
    Menthol ain't a flavor yo, it's a way of life. Anybody got a kool? Wink [;)]
    Kool was my brand of choice when I was a cigar smoker a million years ago... THANKS FOR THE CRAVING JOE! LOL

• I was told maduros have sweet nuances to them is this just B.S. or What? I was told this in the forum here when i was asking for help looking for any kind of sweet or cofffeeish flavor in a cigar.I am a Newbie just lookin for advice dude.
  • yup the menthol cigarettes are still on the market like mentioned by one of our fellow conversationists the kids are cuttin open the cigars and rollin herb in them thats why they outlawed the flavors. F%$#ed up aint it?
    Big Ern:
    I was told maduros have sweet nuances to them is this just B.S. or What? I was told this in the forum here when i was asking for help looking for any kind of sweet or cofffeeish flavor in a cigar.I am a Newbie just lookin for advice dude.
    Nope, it's not BS. It's not "flavored", but most maduros have nuances of espresso, dark chocolate, and sometimes, cocoa.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Big Ern:
    I was told maduros have sweet nuances to them is this just B.S. or What? I was told this in the forum here when i was asking for help looking for any kind of sweet or cofffeeish flavor in a cigar.I am a Newbie just lookin for advice dude.
    Nope, it's not BS. It's not "flavored", but most maduros have nuances of espresso, dark chocolate, and sometimes, cocoa.
    exactly. Maduros dont have flavor added.
    its like many wines that have nuances in them. there may not be any black cherry or black cherry flavoring in the wine, but the flavor you get out of it reminds you of black cherry.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Drew Estates have a big office in NY? How's that gonna go when they can't even sell ACIDs in their hub city? Maybe they could move to Chicago!! We'll welcome them with open arms.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    lilwing88:
    Doesn't Drew Estates have a big office in NY? How's that gonna go when they can't even sell ACIDs in their hub city? Maybe they could move to Chicago!! We'll welcome them with open arms.....
    Guess this also makes Gurkha Grand Reserve, HMR, and Art Deco illegal in NY also. Really, it's a shame that 47 people with some vendetta against tobacco and anything fun ruins it for so many.
  • If it is a real cigar (not dried) there should be no reason that it would not be sold to you. On the other hand Bodegas sell "Flavored" cigars and most kids buy them to roll the "Funky Stuff". I live in Queens and behind the counter of every bodega and connivence store they sell them. Walk down the block and go to another store because they are not Illegal.
    Ninja1100:
    If it is a real cigar (not dried) there should be no reason that it would not be sold to you. On the other hand Bodegas sell "Flavored" cigars and most kids buy them to roll the "Funky Stuff". I live in Queens and behind the counter of every bodega and connivence store they sell them. Walk down the block and go to another store because they are not Illegal.
    Welcome to the forum brother. I live in Queens too, but you know Bloomberg. He doesn't wanna just stop that use of the phillies, but rather use it as an excuse to further smoking bans. He'll ban all tobacco if he can find a way.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Just don't take the politicians...they'll try to ban stuff in Chicago too!
  • Nick2021:
    They already did, handguns! Sure you may be able to 'own' handguns there now, but there are no gun stores that sell them, and IIRC you can't even leave your home (no, not even your porch or patio) with it.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in Colorado, you can still strap on a side arm...as long as it isn't concealed.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    tkohler:
    Nick2021:
    They already did, handguns! Sure you may be able to 'own' handguns there now, but there are no gun stores that sell them, and IIRC you can't even leave your home (no, not even your porch or patio) with it.

The damn nanny state politicians piss me off. Let Americans actually have freedom, what a concept.

Here in Tacoma Wa, we have an El Gaucho steak house with a smoking lounge. The whole state started a clean air campaign that passed in 2005. El Gaucho was forced to close the lounge.
    The owner upgraded the lounge with better ventilation, but was shutdown by the state. They health dept. actually called him "An outlaw that endangers people's health". He has taken the state to court, hopefully his freedom will be restored. Story
  • I do not believe they are "Outlawed" in NYC but today I will check and get back.

To own a handgun in NYC is a *** to have a CW you got to drip blood.
  • I Fu#@ing love Drew Estates one of the boys in the forum suggested em i havent stopped smokin em since totally love it havent been an acid head since my freshman year lol just kiddin.Seriously, kuba kuba I tapped into my annuity to clean out my cigar shop.