Home Cigar 101
Options

lighters

leonardleonard Posts: 359
What is the best type of lighter to use to light a cigar?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    A lighter that has no smelly fuel as it will impart a bad taste on your cigar. Some people prefer a jet flame type lighter, personally I prefer a gas butane single flame regular style lighter. To each their own, find what you like and what works best for you.

Joe
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    A lighter that has no smelly fuel as it will impart a bad taste on your cigar. Some people prefer a jet flame type lighter, personally I prefer a gas butane single flame regular style lighter. To each their own, find what you like and what works best for you.

Joe
    on the nose. Personally, i use a Xikar executive lighter. good stuff.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I will only use butane. Between the lighters I have, my lighter of choice is the Blazer PB-207 Pocket Torch, totally awesome!
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    The Zippo butane replacement works great and lets you use any of the old school Zippos without the old smelly fuel. I also have a CCOM torch lighter that was a freebie with one of their cigar deals that works great. These are just a couple of low priced options that work.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I've recently use a Blue Rhino triple burner, talking about lighting a cigar overall its really nice, it also has a mirror in the lid so you can see where you are lighting your cigar....
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I use this cigar - http://solder-it.com/at2056.asp
    never had a more dependable lighter. They have a lock on them too so you dont have to hold the button down. the anodized models dont have a visible window, but the bottom comes off real easy, I just leave it off on mine and you can see the clear bottle inside.
  • Options
    jihiggs... i went to the link you posted above and saw their physical address is in Chagrin Falls Ohio.
    is that near where you are? If so im in Akron.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I have a three torch Nibo lighter, and while it is very functional, the fuel doesn't last that long. After my 2nd or 3rd light it has to be refilled. I think something is wrong with it.
  • Options
    nope, I am in seatle WA area.

I really like my cigar.com double torch lighter, but it also only holds enough fuel for 3 lights, and I could never tell when it was actually filling. A couple times I thought I had filled it all the way, but it hardly filled at all and ran out of fuel mid lighting, that was the end of that lighter, now I wont use any that dont have the window.
  • Options
    jlzimmerman:
    I have a three torch Nibo lighter, and while it is very functional, the fuel doesn't last that long. After my 2nd or 3rd light it has to be refilled. I think something is wrong with it.
    I'd say I had the Nibo and it would lite cigars all night long, but now the lid won't latch  down and I really liked that lighter too.....
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    jihiggs:
    nope, I am in seatle WA area.

I really like my cigar.com double torch lighter, but it also only holds enough fuel for 3 lights, and I could never tell when it was actually filling. A couple times I thought I had filled it all the way, but it hardly filled at all and ran out of fuel mid lighting, that was the end of that lighter, now I wont use any that dont have the window.
    I have the same problem with my ccom dual torch lighter that came as part of a 1-day deal I purchased. It's made by Nibo also.
  • Options
    z3roz3ro Posts: 20
    maybe im old school, but i light a piece of spanish cedar and light my cigar off that
  • Options
    z3ro:
    maybe im old school, but i light a piece of spanish cedar and light my cigar off that
    its hard to do that in a car or when its windy outside.
  • Options
    z3roz3ro Posts: 20
    oh, i was talkin about at home. I dont smoke in my car
  • Options
    that would be ideal to me, but I dont have the luxury of smoking indoors. and the weather up here is hardly ever completely still. anything but a torch dances around too much for me to light a cigar.
  • Options
    carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    i have a single flame torch lighter, but my favorite lighter I have is my butane dual natural flame lighter. I love that thing.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I would like to get a dual flame natural style lighter myself....especially now that my single flame has stopped working.
  • Options
    carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    Yeah. I had my eye on it for 6 months. Its perfect especially for larger ring gauge cigars.
  • Options
    dbhotroddbhotrod Posts: 1
    As many other posts have said, a butane lighter is best, and the most reliable butane lighter I have found is Nibo. I have two Royal 44 (Triple jet flame/built-in punch) that I use daily, a Commando and Hiker (both double jet flame) that I use when I'm hiking. All of them do a great job of lighting my cigars; the double flame works as well as the triple. I've had a couple of Colibris, but found them to be unreliable. I noticed a couple of you guys had trouble with filling your lighters. I find the trick is to bleed them really well. When I get ready to fill one, I bleed it and let it set for a few minutes, then do it again. I also find that when bleeding you should turn the lighter both upside down and right-side up. That completely empties the tank of any leftover gas and pressure. When you fill the lighter, though, always fill it upside down. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but its worth it. I smoke 3-4 cigars a day and usually have to fill my lighter every 6-7 days. I've noticed a lot of the post are really short, and I'm new here, so if this is too much info, let me know.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I'll have to give the bleeding thing a try and see if that helps. I can't seem to get more than 3 or 4 sticks from each fill with my Nibo dual flame.
  • Options
    I've found this technique to work but be careful not to over fill, if you put your lighter in the freezer until its chilled real nice, than its really easy to fill, butane is a refrigerant and it wants to migrate to where its cool, so cool lighter..... room temp. butane dispinser, also the cooling of the lighter lowers the press. in the lighter causing a easy fill, but you do have to warm the lighter back up for it to work, warming in you hand works well...
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    The freezer technique is interesting. Never heard that before but makes sense.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    dbhotrod:
    As many other posts have said, a butane lighter is best, and the most reliable butane lighter I have found is Nibo. I have two Royal 44 (Triple jet flame/built-in punch) that I use daily, a Commando and Hiker (both double jet flame) that I use when I'm hiking. All of them do a great job of lighting my cigars; the double flame works as well as the triple. I've had a couple of Colibris, but found them to be unreliable. I noticed a couple of you guys had trouble with filling your lighters. I find the trick is to bleed them really well. When I get ready to fill one, I bleed it and let it set for a few minutes, then do it again. I also find that when bleeding you should turn the lighter both upside down and right-side up. That completely empties the tank of any leftover gas and pressure. When you fill the lighter, though, always fill it upside down. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but its worth it. I smoke 3-4 cigars a day and usually have to fill my lighter every 6-7 days. I've noticed a lot of the post are really short, and I'm new here, so if this is too much info, let me know.
    I'm a little confused. When you bleed it, are you holding down the trigger or depressing the little nozzle where you fill the lighter?
  • Options
    another one that works really well is to run the bottle of butane under hot water for a min or so, longer if its still full. it warms the liquid a good ammount, which naturaly raises the presure inside. Ive been doing this for years and never had one pop on me or do anything crazy. get it good and warm and it will fill a lighter in a couple seconds. if it slows down, just heat it up again. this way there is no cold lighter to warm up again and its basicaly the same concept.
  • Options
    jlzimmerman:
    I'm a little confused. When you bleed it, are you holding down the trigger or depressing the little nozzle where you fill the lighter?
    when i bleed and fill my lighter i keep my finger away from that trigger. i turn the flame adjustment all the way down. I press down on the inlet valve of the lighter. i do this untill it stops hissing. this means that all preasure is out. then i wait a minute and try it again. when i fill i keep the flame adjustment as low as i can get it. i hold the butane can above the lighter and press it in and hold it for 4 or 5 seconds. i wait aminute or two for the temp in the lighter to come back to normal (so there is no ice in the valve) and then do it again for another 4 or 5 seconds. wait a few before adjusting the flame and lighting.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Folks, I recently ordered a Xikar lighter on my last CCom order, but have yet to use it. I've always just used a Bic, but needed to get my order over the dollar amount to get a free sampler ;). now, does the butane one use really make a difference? or can I just go down to Wally World and get their stuff?
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    Folks, I recently ordered a Xikar lighter on my last CCom order, but have yet to use it. I've always just used a Bic, but needed to get my order over the dollar amount to get a free sampler ;). now, does the butane one use really make a difference? or can I just go down to Wally World and get their stuff?
    I think butane make a big difference when it comes to lighting a cigar of course you can use matches or a bic and I haven't seen anything wally world that will do the job properly, get a triple torch and you'll never go back....
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Yes there are differences in the quality of butane.The main difference is the purity or refinement level of the gas. The more refined the butane the less contaminents (impurities) are in the fliuid. It is these contaminents that can/will cause your lighter to become clogged. And needless to say, it is inevitable, your lighter will quit working at the most inoppertune time, why, because your lighter became clogged. The stuff you find, for the most part, at discount/drug/grocery stores have little or no refinement.

Now I am not saying your lighter will become clogged. I know people that have never had a problem using the lesser grade butane but I did have a problem and it was a royal pain in the posterior. Bottom line for me, I am not going to take a chance again and only use Lava Premium Butane that has been refined five times.
  • Options
    ashmaster:
    Yes there are differences in the quality of butane.The main difference is the purity or refinement level of the gas. The more refined the butane the less contaminents (impurities) are in the fliuid. It is these contaminents that can/will cause your lighter to become clogged. And needless to say, it is inevitable, your lighter will quit working at the most inoppertune time, why, because your lighter became clogged. The stuff you find, for the most part, at discount/drug/grocery stores have little or no refinement.

Now I am not saying your lighter will become clogged. I know people that have never had a problem using the lesser grade butane but I did have a problem and it was a royal pain in the poterior. Bottom line for me, I am not going to take a chance again and only use Lava Premium Butane that has been refined five times.
    good call on the lava... i still have colibri butane (refined 3 times) left but i was gunna switch to that.
    however, If your lighter gets clogged up there is still hope!!

its the opposite of filling your lighter up... kinda.

1) bleed your lighter out. (see my above post)
    2)turn the flame adjustment all the way UP
    3)press down on the trigger. this will open up the burner.
    4) use canned air like you would to fill the lighter blowing all obstructions out of the way.

now, ive never had to do this, but i hear it works well.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, I see. Butane is butane, but it is the refinement process that makes it the higher grades, and only so the impurities do not clog your lighter. I'll do an experiment myself with the Wal-mart first, then see where that takes me. Thanks fellas :D