Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Biggest Loser (RULES TWEAKED)---THIS THREAD IS FINISHED

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
Ok, so reading the New Years Resolution thread made me realize----there is a lot of us here trying to drop the pounds. If any of you are like me----this is about the 7th year Im going to "try" to do so. I will admit two things.1. I think i want to lose weight2. I freakin love eating

This said, for the sake of living to see my kids grow up and for me to make my wife miserable for many years to come----I should get serious. Which brings me to an idea we may all be able to do, with a little of the honor system and a little incentive, to help. The Biggest Loser...or another clever named idea if you rather, cigar game as motivation. Here is my idea, we can tweak or do it---or say screw it, lets see where this goes

All who want in weigh in on Wed. Jan 5th (pics included of scale and self) and post weight (we can do PM even if people want). Then, every 2 weeks----Jan 19th, Feb 2, Feb 16, March 9th, and March 23rd we weigh in again and post.

The contest will end with the weigh in on April 6th. The person (or 2 people if we go with 2 winners) who loses the percentage of their original weight is the ultimate winner. To them, the other participants must send a "congrats" package. This will be a package in the $50+ range---real prices that is----It can be mid range sticks or just a couple of the really premium ones (Opus X, Anejo, Camacho PE, AF Hemmingway Maddy, Davidoff, ect----you get the idea, $10+ sticks). If you drop out, you still have to pay up to the winner.

------SO FAR PEOPLE IN------Vulchor, Firetruckguy, Lilwing, Hays, Goldy, Uqdan,Raschnuts, Jship, KingJK, Letsgowithitbob-----MUST SIGN UP BY JANUARY 3RD AT 1159PM

Comments

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I think it can work, and being at 330lbs.......Im in.
  • Options
    I think it will be good for all of us. Im about 240-245 right now, but at 5'8" and about 200 only a few years ago....It may be now or never. i hope we get a few more in the game, and I think % of weight may be the best way to go. No offense to you being a bigger guy, but might scare away some of the lighter ones and hopfully we can all get a little more healthy if nothing else.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Sounds like it'll be fun to watch and it's a great idea. Being 185lbs though, i'll just be watching.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'm probably gonna sit this one out, since I'm about 6', weigh around 200, and dropping 30 lbs would mean I'd have almost no body fat. But as a suggestion, you may wanna amend the rules so that instead of 5 sticks worth $25, the loser's just send anywhere from 1-5 sticks, who's total value is around $25. The reason being, some guys on here may be low on mid-range sticks, but may have just bought a box of Anejo's for Christmas, and it'd be easier to send 1 or 2 Anejo's than it'd be to dig around for a cheaper stick
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I think I might be down for this, if only because I'm working out regularly now anyway. Only problem I can think of is that, while I don't necessarily plan on losing, I'd do some serious damage to my humi if I'm forking out 5pks every week or two for 4 months... Maybe that was the incentive? Iunno. I think we could make it a bit more of just a group thing, where we're all in this together, weighing in together and keeping each other accountable, and then having the "Congrats" package to the winner at the end? Just a thought.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    I like your idea XMacro----we can make it each week a package worth $25 or more----be that 5 sticks, or be that 2 sticks.

Hays, I know what your saying man----but that was kinda my idea. Double the incentive to stay on it.....you win, great sticks.......but if you lose, you lose great sticks (or mid range sticks), and potentially quite a few. I know for me self control and sticking to it has always been a problem, so Im thinking of a way to really make it worth someones while to stay in this. It could be a dent in my cigar budget----but not more than than burgers and candy bars I like to pack away every 2 weeks.

MAXIMUM LOSS, is 6 times, or about 150 in sticks. Thats about the start up cost and weekly fee for weight watcher in that time period. And if anyone did decide to say the hell with it----they only have to pay at the end, not for the weeks they dropped out------------though we may mock them or force them to stay on the treadmill.
  • Options
    In that case... I think I'll bow out. I'm down with being part of a group effort, but I'm nOt down for emptying my humidor out. I've been keeping my own motivation up, so I guess I didn't really need that part. Best of luck to you guys though.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Sorry to hear it---we were all looking forward to sending you our sticks too;)
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I would be game for a one time pack of 25 to 50 dollars but not for the every week thing
  • Options
    Alright then-----anyone in for a 50 dollar package Mid April?? We can do the weigh thing in between to make everyone aware of what their up against. Im up for whatever, just trying to aviod me and everyone else having the same New Years Resolution next year while being a few pounds heavier and even more unhealthy.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for this whatever the rules are. I need to lose weight and could use this as added motivation. being around to watch my kids grow up should be motivation enough, but every bit helps!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    I'm in for this whatever the rules are. I need to lose weight and could use this as added motivation. being around to watch my kids grow up should be motivation enough, but every bit helps!
    +10000000 Wing, same here. 3 of us are in at least. I meanit makes it nice for the winner as a reward----but if I can lose some weight this year (by April at that), and have to fork out some sticks.....still worth it to me.
  • Options
    If it's an April $50 package, I'm in. I do agree, just based upon the different sizes of guys we have here, that it should be a percentage of weight lost basis.

• Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Hmmmm, I might be down for this. There are 2 things that are making me hesitate.
    1. The "pot" should be bigger. IE: Instead of $50, make it $100.00 to 150.00 and
    2. I leave tomorrow for 16 days in Maui, and there is no scale in my condo, because "hey I'm in Maui, drunk and just don't give a rats ass about my girlish figure"
    So if I was to join in on these reindeer games should I get on the scale today and use that weight as a starting number or weigh in when I return and start with that?
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Jdorais:
    Hmmmm, I might be down for this. There are 2 things that are making me hesitate.
    1. The "pot" should be bigger. IE: Instead of $50, make it $100.00 to 150.00 and
    2. I leave tomorrow for 16 days in Maui, and there is no scale in my condo, because "hey I'm in Maui, drunk and just don't give a rats ass about my girlish figure"
    So if I was to join in on these reindeer games should I get on the scale today and use that weight as a starting number or weigh in when I return and start with that?

Are you going to miss the Nor Cal Herf?
    I would be down for this but to much going on with family and finances are in the craper, i cant afford to pay attention, have to save money to return to Ohio for a funeral soon. I am just not in a good space for any of this, although i could lose 20 or 30 EASY by april.... I just cant play this one.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Ok, I will join in this worthy cause. I might have some issues weighing in when I am deployed for work in 3 week intervals but I might be able to find a scale in the hotels.

I like the $50 sticks limit. If we get enough people do we want to consider paying top 2 or 3 losers?

It will be pretty sad if 50 bucks of cigars is the actual motivation that kicks my ass in gear.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Jdorais:

Are you going to miss the Nor Cal Herf?
    I would be down for this but to much going on with family and finances are in the craper, i cant afford to pay attention, have to save money to return to Ohio for a funeral soon. I am just not in a good space for any of this, although i could lose 20 or 30 EASY by april.... I just cant play this one.
    Yes Ozzie, I may be missing the herf. I get back that thursday night. We'll have to see because i really want to go!
  • Options
    I want to keep it at $50 per person as well---that seems to be a good amount, and not enough to scare too many off (I understand Oz, btw---not a knock at you there or anything). Remember, its a $50 minimum..and REAL prices, meaning you cant send 4 Sol Cubano Salomans because they are "$50" when we know they are not really. So its a nice little package. I also think making 2 winners is probably a good idea. Lets see for sure how many are in, but having 2 makes it a little more wealth to spead around and just incase someone drps 50lbs in a week or something, not everyone will jst lose motivation.

------AS far as you guys who cant do the biweekly weighs ort the first one, those are more to keep motivated and see how everyone is doing....not a huge deal. I say its your choice man, weight before or the day you get back....totally up to you.

I will update the front page of who is in and out and other rules and stuff as wel go along, check that out.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I'm in, sounds like fun and I hope everyone see's some positive results.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Sign me up if its the 50 package rule I might have to get innovative for my weigh in since I will be traveling alot for work come mid jan
  • Options
    How bout this---Rules update

First-----All who want in, weigh in on Jan 5th. If you cannot do it that day, you can do it anytime thereafter. Starting weight is from the 1st weigh in pic you send. This just seems the fairest, not saying anyone would try to cheat or anything, but if people weigh in now..they get a week head start while the rest of us still pig out:)

Second-----You have to use the same scale and post pics of yourself (front or side profile) as well as scale each date of the weigh in. Im up for it this way, as I have no one to blame but me for the extra pounds--so not shy about it.....Is this ok with everyone?

Third------$50 plus grab bag (sticks of choice, could be mid range could be a few great ones-----no Swishers please)2 winners, top 2 weight loss percentage (speads out the wealth). Ideas?
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    How bout this---Rules update

First-----All who want in, weigh in on Jan 5th. If you cannot do it that day, you can do it anytime thereafter. Starting weight is from the 1st weigh in pic you send. This just seems the fairest, not saying anyone would try to cheat or anything, but if people weigh in now..they get a week head start while the rest of us still pig out:)

Second-----You have to use the same scale and post pics of yourself (front or side profile) as well as scale each date of the weigh in. Im up for it this way, as I have no one to blame but me for the extra pounds--so not shy about it.....Is this ok with everyone?

Third------$50 plus grab bag (sticks of choice, could be mid range could be a few great ones-----no Swishers please)2 winners, top 2 weight loss percentage (speads out the wealth). Ideas?
    Since we are down to $50 total package and nothing on weigh in dates im in.

I dont have a scale there is one at the gym. So you just want a picture of the scale and then a picture of you? or do you have to be in the pic with the scale?
  • Options
    Whatever the best you can do is Rasch----Im just doing to to make sure no one says shenanigans later on. IDEALLY, a pic of you on the scale and the weight---maybe 2 pics it would take, but whatever works out the best for people I know its kinda an odd pic to take. No huge rule, just making it "real". I will put your name on the list.

We have an even number signed up so far----8. This is going to be great for us all I think. Of course, I said that the last 5 years too. Still some time to sign up for other people interested....even numbers are easy for who sends to the winners though.
  • Options
    Damn..I need to buy a scale.. I just remembered my gym doesn't have one (how lame is that right? It's an odd gym). Kool man - I'm down for this.

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Ya, I gotta buy a scale too.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I am in on this as well.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    For the pictures....... What are the guidelines? Front and side.... Shirts or skins? Waist up? Whole body?
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Front or side, your choice. Shorts/boxers/briefs (if you must) only. Whole body preferable, half if not. One of you and one of you on the scale if at all possible, or at least one of you and one of the scale reading while youre on it.
  • Options
    Also----on January 4th....when all sign ups have taken place.....I will be making another thread in this section. It will be for the posting of pics and issues during the contest, along with the final names and rules posted. I think that will make everythign easier and a little more compact.
  • Options
    Sounds good!