Home Non Cigar Related

AirSoft vs Paintball

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Anyone here do either? My friend and I are wanting to get a few people together and do some airsoft wars and I'm wondering how do players handle "what happens when you get shot". Meaning is there a respawn time, a complete out or what. I know paintball makes it a bit easier but it's messier and more expensive thus we figure airsoft is more to our budget.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I started playing paintball back in the mid to late 80's when it was just starting. I quit about 5 years ago because I just didn't care for it anymore. I think electros along with a few other industry related developments ruined the game. For the most part it's now just a matter of how much you spend rather than skill, and after spending thousands on it I realized I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. So I sold most of my guns and moved on.

As far as your question about Airsoft, my experience is a bit limited with that, but I'm fairly certain it's just a matter of raising your hand and walking off the field. Much like paintball, it's on the honor system. I guess you could do re-spawns, but that might make the game last all day. Typically you only do that when you either want a super long game, or it's one of those multiple day scenario events that can last all weekend.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Russ, I have to both agree and disagree with you. While having an expensive gun, barrel, and hopper does give an advantage, you still need skill to back it up. With the older **** guns (even new **** ones) they arent accurate at all which throws a level of luck in the shots, while a bette gun and good barrel allows the balls to fly straight. Also, depending on where you play, there can be self regulated rules. The biggest rule at my field is "No Ramping." If you are caught using the electronic boards for anything other than Semi-auto, you are taken care of vigilante style. I've run into this prob of a few occasions and enjoyed the payback. So basically, at most fields now, the expensive guns only help with accuracy, and to keep up with how fast you can shoot.

To phobicsquirrel, Paintball is quite diff to Airsoft. Feeling is diff, tactics are diff, areas of play. Almost a completely diff game. Airsoft is mostly like SWAT and close quarters Military tactics, and all close range. And airsoft doesnt hurt much. And with paintball you have 2 types: Woodsball and Speedball. Woodsball is played in the woods and big fields, mostly playing on long and close range military style of play, where games can last hours, even days (for the really extreme). Speedball uses a MUCH smaller field with inflatable bunkers, and is all about quick thinking and faster acting, and most games are done in sets of 3, which usually lasts a total of 6-10min total. But in all 3 of these games, the general rule is if you are shot you are out until the next game.

And for the pain of getting shot, it stings at first and goes away. If you can take a lil pain, you'll be fine. It actually makes it more fun, because it makes it more real. Hope this answers your questions
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I have played both. I personally prefer paintball over airsoft, but will play either. Most of my airsoft time is now spent in my own basement working on skills that translate over to livefire with real weapons, while paintball is just a game to me. I do would disagree with Psycho that there is a lot more technology today but the game is still a lot of fun. Russ, I would suggest you look into open stock-class play or even a stock-class league, or get a private group together and you can set whatever rules you like. I agree and don't think getting hit with a paintball hurts that much. I play in shorts and a t-shirt when it is warm, as I find sweating my ass off much more uncomfortable than a few bruises, but I see guys out there in the summer with sheatshirts, etc. on. To each their own.

I will say that it is a lot easier to play airsoft without going to a dedicated field, as AEGs don't require any sort of fill stations for CA or CO2. That said, I would suggest, if you are looking to get into either, starting off by going to a field and renting equipment. it won't be top of the line, but it will be reliable and if it malfunctions, it's not your problem. It allows you to focus just on the game and find out if it is right for you before you spend hundreds of dollars in gear. That said, paintball is a lot cheaper to play now than when I started playing in highschool. You can get decent paint for less than half what it used to cost. Above all else, give it a shot and HAVE FUN!
    My opinions aren't something I typically share or insist upon with those that actively still play. It would be pointless. Like someone trying to argue with one of us that we shouldn't smoke cigars. I kinda wrote that without thinking about my audience. It isn't just the electro that I dislike, but rather what they did to the industry. I'm talking mostly about the Gardner bros nonsense and all the early retirements of longtime industry veterans it caused. I had a friend or two that had businesses in the industry and seeing/hearing all of the negativity that went on really soured me on the whole thing. You'd also have to see the game and what it was in it's infancy and what it's turned into now to appreciate my point of view.

I will say this though, when you get together a small group of friends and just play for fun it is an absolute blast. But when you bring in sponsors, teams, competitive play, and money it becomes very ugly. Some people thrive on that stuff but it's just not for me.
    One2gofst:
    Russ, I would suggest you look into open stock-class play or even a stock-class league, or get a private group together and you can set whatever rules you like.
    I did for a while. My stock guns were all the ones I kept. If I ever get back into it, maybe in 5-10 years when my son is older, that will be what I do again. I'm too out of shape and busy to do it now. Besides, putting my feet up in front of a fire with a cigar, and a nice glass of something sounds infinitely more enjoyable than running around in the heat with paint guns. Big Smile [:D]
    PsychoSJG:
    Russ, I have to both agree and disagree with you. While having an expensive gun, barrel, and hopper does give an advantage, you still need skill to back it up.
    To a point, but not nearly as much skill as it takes with a stock gun. In all honesty I'm probably exaggerating a bit in my original statement. But it does take a lot more skill to play well with a stock gun than anything else, especially an electro.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I've played a bit with them, but nothing too fancy. Mainly when I go camping. I'm wondering how many people one needs to have a good game. I have 4 lined up for sure but can get 6. Do I need more?
    It's really just a matter of opinion, but it sounds fine to me.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Thanks guys. I've played a bit with them, but nothing too fancy. Mainly when I go camping. I'm wondering how many people one needs to have a good game. I have 4 lined up for sure but can get 6. Do I need more?
    Those numbers to play while camping? It could still be fun playing in the woods or an abandoned barn, the paintball or airsoft. Going to a paintball place would be diff. Youd want more people so you can have fun with just your friends.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Russ, I agree with you bro. I played a LOT in the mid-late 90's. I had a Tippmann pro-lite with a dye barrell(bullet proof gun that thing was) and the most high tech you could get was an autococker....and those were brokedick most of the time. You had to have skill, communication and teamwork. And it was FUN, any kid cold do it with just a couple hundred bucks worth of starter kit from the ads in the back of an APG. Then came nitro systems, closed bolts, electric guns, vibrating hoppers, thousand dollar barrels, high tech expansion chambers....and on and on. I equate it to stock car racing. Back in the day, it was "run whatch brung" and as long as you had some mechanical ability and driving skill, you could compete. Now its who has the most money invested in their rigs. It's not all about the money....but i feel ya Russ. I'll never go back to it.
  • I realize this is an old post...and maybe necroposting isn't the best thing to do but this one was right up my alley. I am an avid paintball player. Been doing it for years. My best friend and I even started a company supplying fields, teams, and players with custom shirts... You'd be surprised that the game has changed...sure those $1000 guns are out there, but most of the people shooting them don't have the skills really worthy of a gun like that. I cam regularly shoot them with my old school pump gun. Anybody that wants to is more than welcome to PM me and we can meet up and play some good games. I've got plenty of guns to go around. I'm sure I could even dig up some airsoft guns too.