Home Cigar 101

Humidification placement

Does it matter where these go? I have a 150 count humidor with a glass top. It has a shelf. Should I put the humidifiers on top? or on bottom?

I am curious if humidity coming off the humidifier rises or falls.

With 150 count humidor (and full), I seem to need either two large humdifiers or four smaller ones.

I am leaning towards 3 or four smaller jar (gel) type humidifiers. These seem to take the least amount of precious real-estate.

Right now, I have a Boveda pack and a large sponge. These seem to be keeping the humidity well.
But after all the talk about mold with the sponges, I want to change it out.

All of my humidifiers are: 1 large sponge, 1 small spong, one small gel jar, one LARGE gel puck.

I was leaning towards getting the Drymistat tubes - I figure I need six of these = $60.00 - ouch
Then I thought about the cigar oasis - this is kinda large and it only handles 100 cigars.

What to do?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Humidified air should sink, as it will be heavier than un-humidified air. Thus I would think top placement is most logical.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with heartfielt beads man. I have 2 pucks in mine and they work great, plus it's cheaper.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'd go with heartfielt beads man. I have 2 pucks in mine and they work great, plus it's cheaper.
    i didnt even buy the puck. I just have boxes that i made out of old cigar boxes lined with plastic wrap. i have about twice the amount of beads than recommended by heartfelt. i also try and place the humidification device near the top. in a single layer 50ct humidor it wont make much of a difference. in my 120ct two level humidor i have one box of beads on top and on on the lower level. the one on top gets all the distilled when i charge. the beads on the bottom will get charged over time. I do thins BECAUSE humidity sinks. its worked out well for me so far.
  • SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Thank you for the replies.
    Pucks and boxes, seem like they would take a LOT of real-estate...

Or can I put the cigars in (on) these with beads???

Thanks
    i have a series of slats over the top of the boxes so that they dont eat up that much space. i can place cigars directly on top if i want.

food for thought:
    i could hold 4 more cigars if i didnt have the beads in my humidor. I think four cigars is a good number to give up to hold RH for a good amount of time.
  • SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    Thanks Kuzi. I have my cigars stacked 3 high on my top shelf and either 4 or 5 on the bottom.
    I think I am already losing 12 cigars for my large sponge rectangle.
    Thanks again.
    Kuzi, how often do you circulate your cigars from the bottom to the top?
    i "turn" my cigars on their axis once every 3 or so months. if i remember correctly right now they are "facing" right. as far as location in the humidor....

i n the smoking humidor i put new cigars at the bottom and slowly rotate to the top, generally speaking. In the aging humidor i tend to to the same thing but at a much slower rate. If the cigar is on the top shelf then im seriously considering putting it in the smoking humidor. if its on the lower shelf im trying not to look at it for a good long time.
    thanks kuzi.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    in such a small environment do you think that the rh at the top and bottom is that much different? have you put 2 digi meters in top and bottom to vet that out?
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Believe it or not it does have a fairly high variance... I've seen as much as 4-5% variance between top and bottom in a taller footlocker style humi... The solution for a somewhat larger humi such as this is a small fan... Those little air fresheners .... ummm... I think it's Oust? Anyway, it's a little battery operated deal and it's great because it only turns the fan on in intervals so the batteries last a long time... Obviously you don't put the fresher in it, just the fan by itself... It works great to move the air/humidity around...
    rusirius:
    Believe it or not it does have a fairly high variance... I've seen as much as 4-5% variance between top and bottom in a taller footlocker style humi... The solution for a somewhat larger humi such as this is a small fan... Those little air fresheners .... ummm... I think it's Oust? Anyway, it's a little battery operated deal and it's great because it only turns the fan on in intervals so the batteries last a long time... Obviously you don't put the fresher in it, just the fan by itself... It works great to move the air/humidity around...
    Oh come on, who doesn't want their cigars tasting like mountain breeze!?
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I just have boxes that i made out of old cigar boxes lined with plastic wrap. i have about twice the amount of beads than recommended by heartfelt.
    I did the same thing!
  • When I recieved (it was a gift, great gift, but unexpected) my humidor I was fairly new to the aspect of having one. So not knowing much about them and where to place certain objects that came with it, I ended up placing my humidification device on the bottom, and I knew well enough that the hygrometer should be on the underside of the top for easy access to read any everything. My hygrometer reads a steady 68-70% and really have not had any complaints about anything. Cigars seem to be fine and seem to be aging correctly. Just wanted to know besides having more space on the bottom is it crucial to relocate that humidification box.

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Hey Coach K.. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
  • haha gotcha, and yeah first name is Mike by the way and the first time some one called me that I was like eight years old and I was like who the hell you talking to.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    Sounds like good advice to me. The humidity is going to travel regardless of where your humidifier is placed, I've chosen a top mount mainly for space saving purposes, though in retrospect I'd imagine every time you open the humidor with a top mount there is a good chance to lose a bit more humidity than if the device was elsewhere.