Home Ratings & Reviews

My Father Limited Edition Toro **Update 6 Months

Today I would like to share my experiances with the

My Father Limited Edition Toro

My Father 004

A personally hand rolled beauty by Jose "Pepin" Garcia and Jaime Garcia Box 22 of 2000

My Father 002

First Impressions: A craftman of a cigar hand wrapped by Pepin himself. Binder and filler by son Jaime. A balanced and solid stick with a flawless reddish mahogany wrapper. A triple cap tops off this vitola, toro in size, 6.5x52.

My Father 005

Predraw: A malted sweetness with no sour notes or ammonia smell. A sign of expert fermintation and aging.

Lighting: Straight Cut with a Xikar Xi2 using my Xikar Axia to light effortlessly.

First Puffs: A balance of pepper and spice with a backnote of earth and malt through the retrohale. Notes of sweetness on the lips through the back of the tongue. The draw is loose and airy.

First third: Pepper settles down to a cinnamon spice on the follow through. Also notes of leather and cedar. The burn is razor sharp with a greyish white colored ash.

Second third: Opening up to a malted creamy flavor following through the retrohale. The finsh of nut and licorice from the tongue through the nose. Cedar is no longer noted. A beautiful mouth watering sweet creaminess. A solid medium in strength with no heaviness on the tongue. A very cool smoke. The Draw firms up perfectly with plenty of smoke to roll through the mouth through the nose.

Final third: Opening to a sweet cherry finsh with buttered toast note. Very balanced in flavor with no dominating flavors to detract. I can pick out each note of flavor with each puff. Notes of pepper and licorice returning along with a nutmeg finsh. A cafe con leche noted in the retrohale. Combined this cigar is a complex symphony of flavor without overwhelming flavors. This is not a onesided cigar. I attribute this complexity to the pelo de oro in the filler. Which is reminiscent of Cuban cigars of old. The burn is indicative of an expertly rolled cigar only a master roller can acheive.

Overall Final Impressions: Very impressive, this cigar reminds me of a Cuban Hoyo De Monterry Double Corona or a Montecristo #2 in some of Cuba's finest years of cigar production. This will remain a stick of acheivement, a litmus test expertly rolled by one of Cuba's finest rollers and blenders to ever become an exile. I can only hope to enjoy these on a limited bases as they are never to be had again.

My Father 001

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Nice review, Looks like a tasty stick for sure!
  • nice i have one in my humi so im saving it
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    nice review.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    looks good
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    nice review, may have to break my box open soon :)
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Very nice looking stick, where can these be had?
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    There are a few online retailers that still have some availible. Look around as they can be had for $205 a box. Ive seen as high as $300. I believe it breakdowns to $20-25 a stick. (there are 12 in the box)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    What a descriptive review. Made my mouth water. My experience with the My Father series has been pretty dismal, but after this review, I really want to try this one! :)
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    What a descriptive review. Made my mouth water. My experience with the My Father series has been pretty dismal, but after this review, I really want to try this one! :)
    The My Father line sounds right up your alley though brother! They are fantastic smokes, even the regular lines. The special releases have been nothing short of stellar! Try them out again, if you get a chance.
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    The My Father line sounds right up your alley though brother! They are fantastic smokes, even the regular lines. The special releases have been nothing short of stellar! Try them out again, if you get a chance.
    bah humbug! I've had 4 or 5 different ones, including the "cedros delux" and a few different vitolas of the regular My Father line. I thought they were all very sub-par. Boring was the word I used when I smoked them, I believe. I expect a lot more out of a $12 smoke. Especially given the price tag, there is no way I'll ever buy any more. I traded my last few away last year. Don't get me wrong, I'd smoke another if someone gave me one...
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    bah humbug! I've had 4 or 5 different ones, including the "cedros delux" and a few different vitolas of the regular My Father line. I thought they were all very sub-par. Boring was the word I used when I smoked them, I believe. I expect a lot more out of a $12 smoke. Especially given the price tag, there is no way I'll ever buy any more. I traded my last few away last year. Don't get me wrong, I'd smoke another if someone gave me one...
    That's really weird, I smoked my first one and just KNEW this was the smoke for you haha. Looks like you need to refresh my memory before I FINALLY get to bomb you back to the stone age!
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    That's really weird, I smoked my first one and just KNEW this was the smoke for you haha. Looks like you need to refresh my memory before I FINALLY get to bomb you back to the stone age!
    You would think I'd love this line, right? I'm a big DPG and Tatuaje fan. I love Nicaraguan cigars, etc. I just found myself bored out of my mind. Give me a Cuban Classic or a Series JJ any day of the week, and I can find them for under $5 a stick.
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    You would think I'd love this line, right? I'm a big DPG and Tatuaje fan. I love Nicaraguan cigars, etc. I just found myself bored out of my mind. Give me a Cuban Classic or a Series JJ any day of the week, and I can find them for under $5 a stick.
    Both of those are great smokes! I am almost out of both unfortunately so I have not been able to make myself smoke any more of them haha
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, this is a special cigar. I got to have mine signed by Jose and Jaime themselves, and tried a few with them. This was a lovely, amazing cigar where you could sort of taste the passion these two have for the leaf. It was a wonderful cigar that is a sharp departure from the rest of the MF series, I think.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    i just picked up 2. cant wait to try one. leave the other in my aging drawer. will these ever run again? i found one place only w/ them in stock. thx David
    fuentejps:
    i just picked up 2. cant wait to try one. leave the other in my aging drawer. will these ever run again? i found one place only w/ them in stock. thx David
    Glad to hear you were able to score a few. These are the once in a lifetime kind of sticks. Im sure they will come out with another limited or reserve style stick but not with the Pelo De Oro and not handrolled by Jamie and Pepin.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just placed an order for 4, I was going to pass on this, but I just can't avoid hype of any kind.
    Looks like both you guys purchased the last of the sticks from the same website as they are now officially out. Hope you both enjoy as much as I do. This is a medium stick not full strength but full flavor. Let me know once you smoke them how the flavors compare.
    Yep, I would have probably gotten more if they had the stock, but that's ok, this will be a special occasion cigar for me...I'll probably smoke one fresh to assess it and then age the other three for no less than a year and smoke another then, and so on.
    just got my 1st 2 in, they are a great looking wstick. love the reddish color
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who have had these, have you had the other my fathers? I have had both and didn't like them very much. I almost picked up a few of these guys but figured if I didn't like the other two my fathers I probably wouldn't like this one.
    yah man i love my father #2
    phobicsquirrel:
    Anyone who have had these, have you had the other my fathers? I have had both and didn't like them very much. I almost picked up a few of these guys but figured if I didn't like the other two my fathers I probably wouldn't like this one.
    If you don't like the standard MF, I doubt you'd like this one. Aside from being limited, I don't see a huge difference between the standard line and this limited run. The size is nice and it smoked for a good long time, but as far as the flavor goes I didn't get any more out of it than a regular My Father, which isn't a bad thing by any stretch as I quite enjoy the My Father blend and the Le Bijou 1922. Overall I really enjoyed the MF LE, but the $20 price point is a bit much IMO as I feel I'd get just as much out of the regular line for half the price. Very good cigar though and I don't regret buying them for one second.
  • j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    If you don't like the standard MF, I doubt you'd like this one. Aside from being limited, I don't see a huge difference between the standard line and this limited run. The size is nice and it smoked for a good long time, but as far as the flavor goes I didn't get any more out of it than a regular My Father, which isn't a bad thing by any stretch as I quite enjoy the My Father blend and the Le Bijou 1922. Overall I really enjoyed the MF LE, but the $20 price point is a bit much IMO as I feel I'd get just as much out of the regular line for half the price. Very good cigar though and I don't regret buying them for one second.
    I have all three lines in my humidor (My Father) and I brake them down like I do with the Padrons. Not the same flavor profile but the same interpretation based on the different versions. My Father regular line is like the Padron Annivarsario a great consistant smoke. My Father Le Bijou is like the Padron 1926 a stronger version of the Annivarsario. My Father Limited Edition is like the Padron "45s" A refined verson of the brand. I believe the Bijou's are much stronger of the line but lacks the refinement. Some get more from strength and less on the flavor. I get less with the strength because it overwhelms the flavor. That is why I am moving away from powerhouse type cigars. It is a matter of personal preference and left to interpretation.
    I thought I would revisit these after six months and report on the aging process. My purchase was in December and I did my initial review after a humidor rest of two months in Feb. We are now at the six month mark and must say that " The My Father line is for aging." The changes are much improved as now the flavor has moved to distinctive and some flavors have changed. The cherry flavor which was noted as a acidic flavor is gone. The cinnamon has moved to a gingerbread. The malt is gone. I can stil taste the nutmeg in the final third and all the other flavors are there cafe con leche, cedar, and leather. Earthiness is still there although the initial sweetness has moved from the tongue to the retrohale. Still creamy but the pepper has moved from the nose to the tounge. Overall impressive and I will have to reevaluate at a year.