Home Ratings & Reviews

Liga Privada T52

Liga Privada T52

First impressions: A dark brown almost maduro wrapper with a leathery oily sheen and feel. The stick is a little spongy.

Prelight: Cutter with Cuban Crafters Perfecto 24. Lit with a Xikar Axia. Flavors of mature tobacco and chocolate. A saltiness noted on the lips.

First Puffs: First pull I noted a smoky cumin flavor and cocoa with a pepper bite. Some corn meal flavor notes with a salty flavor in the back of the throat.

First third: A medium smoke with a hollow pull. Not very much smoke noted. Some tunneling occuring burn is not razor sharp. A dry smoke with a loose roll. Saltiness and cumin flavor gone replaced with leather and roasted nut.

Second third: Notes of semi sweet chocolate with a strong cedar back note. A very short cinnamon flavor in the retrohale. Some correction needed to correct the tunneling. Starting to pick up with some oak and hickory flavors in the retrohale. Also a short licorice flavor in the nose. Strength picked up on some draws but soon returned to medium. Corn meal flavor return but is short lived.

Final third: Cigar falls flat on its face, very one sided flavor of oak and tobacco. This is not a complex cigar. I also noted some bitterness that didnt go away so I could not finish the stick.

Final thoughts: I am not impressed with this cigar. It looks beautiful and is nice to the touch. All looks with no substance. The flavors were just not there. If some attention was paid to the bunching this would change the flavor profile and would have made the flavor more pronounced. This could be a contender. It could of been a dud although I expect a lot more for a cigar costing $12. I have a few others to try but I am not hopeful. I have $4-5 dollar cigar with much more to offer. Sorry guys I really want to love this cigar but was disappointed in the profile and construction.

Liga Privada 002

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I hope this is just a fluke.

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree that I was a bit underwhelmed by this cigar. I had very high hopes after reading about the "stalk cut American Habano" wrapper that they used and how long they searched before they found it. Maybe the wrapper is as good as they say and they expected it to be, just not blended well.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Like any other cigar, not every palate will interpret it the same. Personally, I think it's a fantastic cigar, though I'd like to see it in the $6-$8 range as opposed to the $8-$11 range it currently resides in. To each their own, but I don't think anyone should take one man's view of the cigar as the only view, but rather try it before writing it off. Good review bluerings.
  • I love these. I would buy boxes if I could afford too. Any one wanting to trade away some they have and don't want shoot me a PM.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Definitely among my favorite cigars. Sorry you didn't like it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like the t52 quite a bit. I had one with JD while in nicaragua. Great cigar, great host.
    kuzi16:
    i like the t52 quite a bit. I had one with JD while in nicaragua. Great cigar, great host.
    As much as I love the T-52, I would want to smoke a JD4 or the LP40 with J Drew, if I had the chance, and had my choice.
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    As much as I love the T-52, I would want to smoke a JD4 or the LP40 with J Drew, if I had the chance, and had my choice.
    me too. i would have loved a JD4. i thought it would have been rude to ask but deep down inside i was wishing he would give one out.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Well, gave it another shot last night and again I was disappointed. It was better than the first, but I continued to have the tunnelling I mentioned on the first go around. I am starting to believe my theory that if bundled correctly this could be a contender. I just find that I shouldnt have to look for the right cigar at the $12.00 level. Can't make too many mistakes at this price point.
    how long have you had this cigar? any down time with it?
  • SigCigSigCig Posts: 37
    Thinking you go some bad examples of the T52.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I agree that I was a bit underwhelmed by this cigar. I had very high hopes after reading about the "stalk cut American Habano" wrapper that they used and how long they searched before they found it. Maybe the wrapper is as good as they say and they expected it to be, just not blended well.
    I had a few of these and I have yet to be all impressed. I thought maybe I got a bad one, but I've had 5 now and all have been less than desired. I enjoy the 9's but the 52's are just not doing it for me.

Nice review btw, sorry you didn't enjoy it.
  • My theory on this cigar is based on some bad rolls/bad batch. In any regards I'm sure that there are others that would contend this is a great cigar. I haven't experienced many cigar that didn't have at least one redeeming factor except for that one time in Ecuador with a fake Cuban I had the misfortune of smoking. For those that enjoy it you have a great cigar enjoy it in good health.
  • docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    what is the jd4 and the lp40? I love the lp9 dirty rat
    Christian_Sapp:
    docbp87:
    kuzi16:
    what is the jd4 and the lp40? I love the lp9 dirty rat
    JD4 is one of the many blends that was tested during the selection process for a new Liga Privada line. It didn't make the cut, but J Drew liked it a lot, so he had them make a bunch for him, put Pre-Release dirty rat style bands on them, that said JD 4, and gave some away at events and what not. The LP40 is a lancero blend that is coming out (eventually).
  • oh sweet i want to try it in the lancero size because it will last longer than the dirty rat but still a small ring gauge.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    You know the first Diesel I smoked was the same way...just nothing there and bland. The next one I had was just great and I loved it. Don't know what was going on there but maybe sometimes you just get a "flat" one. Personally I can't wait to try this cigar.
  • Sucks...I enjoyed it. Not blown away for anything but I did like it. My only problem with it is that I had to re-light twice and it got a bit plugged at the end.

I did also get the Dirty Rat...letting that one age for a bit though before I try it.