Home Cigar 101

Vegetable Glycerin

Anyone ever used Vegetable Glycerin as a substitute for Propylene Glycol. I use the Gel Jar in one humidor and the Beads in another and in both still fight humidity in the winter. I wondered if anyone has ever heard of this. VG is also hygroscopic so it should work right? I would like to stear clear of PG if possible in a approach to get more natural if you will.

Thanks for any feedback

TED

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I've never heard of anyone using VG instead of PG. One question I would have about VG is whether it maintains a 70% RH? I understand that it's hygroscopic, but I don't know if it will hold the same level of RH as PG.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    As always, if you switch to beads that will solve most any issues with maintaining proper humidity you may have. So often people go from suboptimal method to another and end up spending more than if they would have just went with beads from the beginning. Just like my buddy who refuses to build a cooleridor and instead has a hodgepodge of desktops and tupperware humidified by a conglomeration of humidipaks and florist foam. He wonders why his cigars don't smoke as well as mine. I've told him how to fix it plenty of times. He doesn't. He spends more than I do on cigars, but can't spend a buck to fix his storage issues. To each there own.

Off my soapbox, I'd say no to Vegetable Glycerin. I mean, if it worked well, someone would be marketing it.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    One2gofst:
    As always, if you switch to beads that will solve most any issues with maintaining proper humidity you may have. So often people go from suboptimal method to another and end up spending more than if they would have just went with beads from the beginning. Just like my buddy who refuses to build a cooleridor and instead has a hodgepodge of desktops and tupperware humidified by a conglomeration of humidipaks and florist foam. He wonders why his cigars don't smoke as well as mine. I've told him how to fix it plenty of times. He doesn't. He spends more than I do on cigars, but can't spend a buck to fix his storage issues. To each there own.

+1 to this.

Can't tell you how many times I read on some cigar forums about someone buying over a hundred dollars worth of cigars (often much more), and then trying to cheap out by using cat litter or some crappy substitute. You can get a half pound of Heartfelt beads for $20, or Conservagel beads for $10 (same thing, really), and they last for years and maintain proper humidity all day, running on distilled water ($1.00 for a gallon)

Why people try to cheap out on such a basic necessity is beyond me; it's like buying a Porsche and then asking if you can get by by filling it with 87 octane.

/end rant

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    To defend the cat litter, I've been using it for almost 2 years with no issues. And I got 13 pounds for something like 10 bucks.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:
    I mean, if it worked well, someone would be marketing it.
    nail. head.

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    kuzi16:
    One2gofst:
    I mean, if it worked well, someone would be marketing it.
    nail. head.

And...boom goes the dynamite.