Home Cigar 101
Options

Lighter Repairs Needed!

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Hey guys. My RP Executive triple torch bit the dust a while ago. I think my Xikar EX is going down the same path already as the flame kept getting smaller and smaller every time I refilled it.

My RP lighter does nothing but sputter and stop. My Xikar EX won't push gas through and it won't purge either.

Anyone know of any retailer in Ontario that would be able to replace either RP or Xikar lighters?

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an answer for your question but I thought I'd pass along something I read recently about filling lighters. I've got a few that don't work anymore and maybe this is the problem....

The article said when filling your lighter, DON'T shake the can first! It said that shaking causes the propellant to mix with the fuel and some of it will get into your lighter's fuel tank, causing it to not function properly. It said to just gently turn the can upright and fill as you normally would.

I don't know if that's true or not but I plan to try that method from now on to see if maybe I can rejuvenate one or more of my good ol' lighters that don't work anymore.

Personally, I always thought the fuel WAS the propellant - that the butane expanding was what caused sufficient pressure to force fuel into the lighter. Oh, well...

Marty

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you may be able to clean it yourself. you can scrape the burner with a tiny screwdriver (i mean smaller than the ones used for glasses) and blow it out. another thing you can do is get some canned air and use that to spray in the area around the burner.
    one more thing you can try is this:
    strike the lighter and hold it like you are keeping it burning (make sure it isnt burning) use the canned air to "fill" the lighter while you are holding the button down. this will sometimes blow the impurities right on through.

i would do this on the Xikar first. if it doesnt work, you can send it back and get a free replacement.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    My godamn $80 Collibri just went for a ****...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, flame comes out but has lost its torch flame somehow....need compressed air see what I can do.....
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    When mine start to go the way of the dodo, I take them completely apart and then soak ONLY the metal bits in 99% isopropyl alcohol. Swish them around in it, take 'em out and let 'em dry and then put it all back together. Should help a bit. If you don't like that idea then you can take a q-tip damp with alcohol and clean out the jet, which sometimes works as a quick-fix.

Just BE CAREFUL not to let the alcohol touch an of the plastic pieces, especially the tank parts and the pin hinge parts. The alcohol does strange things to the plastic and then the lighter crumbles before your eyes, TRUST ME.