Home Cigar 101

New smoker: humidor, cigar ect

So I have had a couple cigars to start. I was recommended the Acid: blondie I believe is what it was called...I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on cigars and a humidor to start with. I was looking at the 2 for $40 deal and was wondering if the humidor they offer is an efficient one and what else I may need to start keeping cigars. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    The humidor I have no experience with, but I will say that you need a bigger than 20ct. Its a start, but you will fill it up rather quickly. And if it says it holds 20 then it probably only holds 10-15. So trust me go bigger on the humidor. All the cigars on there are good cigars. If you like a milder cigar then go with the 5 vegas gold. More full I recommend the padilla miami or the diesel shorty.
  • I would look into a coolerdor. google it and the search bar on here.A good place to start and cheap to make.
    I'm not a acid fan. I have hear a lot of people like the kuba kuba. I would try a sampler. Call in and see what the rep can work out for you.
  • i did the one stop sampler when i first got into cigars it was nice but the humi is only a 20 count which i filled up fast so i bought a 120 count filled that up to and now have cigars in two bags. i would go with the coolerdor or a big humi if you think you are going to enjoy it because it sounds huge now but in 2 months you will be kicking yourself for not going bigger.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    If you're going to get into Acid stuff, most of which is what are called infused cigars, meaning flavors or whatnot are added, you'll need two humidors if you expand beyond those cigars: one for the infused stuff and one for the traditional (non-infused) stuff. Just something to keep in mind. If you want to start mild (and non-infused) I recommend the Gurkha Park Ave. and the 5 Vegas Classic.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    If you're going to get into Acid stuff, most of which is what are called infused cigars, meaning flavors or whatnot are added, you'll need two humidors if you expand beyond those cigars: one for the infused stuff and one for the traditional (non-infused) stuff. Just something to keep in mind. If you want to start mild (and non-infused) I recommend the Gurkha Park Ave. and the 5 Vegas Classic.
    good advice here.

and i cant stress enough, get a bigger humidor. you will always need a bigger humidor.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I have bought the humidor in the deal for a few friends starting out, and they seem to be pretty decent. One thing I would also get is the jar of humi gel. I havent ever used the puck that comes with the humidors standard, so I don't know if it's any good. Beads are the best, but for something so small, I would just get the jar.

Another thing to think about is if you get into cigars, you can use the smaller humi for flavoreds, if you get a bigger humi in the future. Welcome to the hobby, I hope you enjoy it.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started off with the 20 ct they sell here...not a bad humi but just wish I had bought a bigger one for more storage.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I too started off with the 20ct they sell here. I actually have two of them. They had a great deal going on you would get the 20ct with a nice sampler. I even ended up with another 20ct and a nice sampler from another place as well. (3 20cts in total at the moment). I eventually broke down and made a coolidor late last year. I just kept getting more and more sticks and those 20cts don't hold that many. I suggest a cooler, but, a 20 ct from here or a 100ct (that 20ct will fill up quick) is not such a bad thing to have for your soon to smoke sticks. Welcome and enjoy!!

Rob
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I have that 20 count humidor and a coolidor. I smoke out of the humidor and store full boxes/bags of singles in the coolidor. I have close to 200 cigars and it works fine for me. One day I'll move back to the States and invest in a cabinet humidor.
    Light 'em up.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have two 20 ct's, one 40 ct and one 125 ct humi's and consider myself hindered for cigar storage. Go bigger than you think you will ever need
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Buy the biggest , baddest humi you can find. Stock it full with only samplers from Ccom. Start smoking. If you find that you don't care to continue smoking, those aging, getting rarer puppies will sell right back here for a premium. How many of us has smoked his last stick of a particular type, only to find it discontinued, or slipping in quality.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    You should consider digital hygrometers, water pillows, beads, a good cutter and the great advice from this forum. I'm still a rookie myself but I started with a 50 count humi, Southport small, and ordered some samples of all the ccom awarded best cigars of 2010 then started testing and training. I seasoned the humi with distilled water only until rh level reached 65-70 then added gel. Had to add some water pillows recently because I'm in there alot. A month later I got a 150 count humi and seasoned it by leaving it closed with a couple open vessels of dist water, water pillows and beads. Took a couple of weeks but it has remained stable with just the beads and 3 -4 water pillows now. Have 3 digital and 1 analog hygrometers, 2 in each humi. I have a few favorites I'm starting to stock in my large humi but still trying different sticks. For a anytime cigar I like the MOW Virtue or5-Vegas Classic, MOW Ruination seems to be a good full bodied smoke too. So many cigars, so little time.