Home Cigar 101

Can't bring the humidity down

I recently switched to beads a little over a month ago and since then my rh is right around 72%. I was wondering what I could do to bring the humidity down.

Comments

• 72 is a good reading.....do you want it much lower? What kind of beads did you get? Try adding more sticks....what size humi?
  • quix24quix24 Posts: 66
    250 count with about 150 inside. Conservagel 70% beads. I would like to get it to 70-69. It was at 73% the other day and just want to make sure i'm not over humidifying my cigars.
  • Just remember the beads accuracy can be off by +-1/2 points....also goes for your hygrometer. Try calibrating your hygrometer with the salt test (soda bottle cap with salt and damp it with distilled water and place in Zip Loc bag along with hygrometer and making sure they dont touch each other. Leave in ziploc bag overnight if you try it tonight and check your results in the AM....75 should be your reading if not mark down the difference.) You can also try removing some beads....sometimes too much beads can also be a problem.
    I just calibrated my hygrometer so Ill take some beads out and see what happens. Thanks for the advice!!
  • Sure thing brother....let us know your results in the morning.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wanna bring it down? just leave the humi open for about 15 minutes every day till it evens out.

or decharge about 25% of the beads.

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    wanna bring it down? just leave the humi open for about 15 minutes every day till it evens out.

or decharge about 25% of the beads.

I was thinking about his beads being over charged which is easy to do. You also must remember that the beads work within a range of +/- 2 points so there will be a range that the beads will keep your sticks not dead on 65 or 70%.
    If your RH doesn't drop with what has been suggested... I would take out at least half or even three quarters of the beads and dry them out. You should have a certain amount of uncharged beads in with the rest so that they can both absorb and release moisture. The beads can't absorb more moisture when they are full, and if they are all charged or over charged then they CAN'T do what they were designed to do.
    I just checked my rh and its sitting nice at 70%. I took some beads out and put some dry ones in overnight till this afternoon and its good to go. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!