Home Ratings & Reviews

Illusione Epernay Le Ferme

Epernay Le Ferme

My hesitation in rating this cigar is selfish at best because of such limited availibility. I made sure to secure myself a box of these ahead of this review.

PreLight

Between a corona and robusto size 48 x 5.25 with a reddish brown Cafe Rosado wrapper. Binder and filler of a combination of Criollo and Corojo tobaccos. A Prelight sweetness with a tea and earth note. Cut with a Cuban Crafter guillotine straight cut. Toasted and lit with Xikar Axia.

First third

A light peppery note, almost bubbly tickle in the nose like champagne. Floral notes of hibiscus with a cedar and leather back note. A mouth feel of buttery toast with a malted sweetness in the back of the throat. Burn of a flaky silver grey ash with a razor sharp line.

Second third

Pepper fades into background and becomes so smooth you can retrohale 100%. A Cuban coffee back note on the follow through with a bit of cinnamon on the finish. Holding on to leather and cedar on the retrohale. Also noting anise on the tongue with a cherry note in the back of the throat.

Final third

Cherry note has moved to the retrohale and the cigar leaves me with a light feel on tongue. My palate does not feel overworked leaving me wanting more. Cedar and leather hanging on and never overwhelms or disappates. Every note playing off each other with a complexity not found in many cigars. This is a strong medium and does not change through out the stick. Flavors of leather, cedar, cherry, tea sweetness, creamy butter remain and add to the complexity and longevity of the flavors.

Final thoughts:
This is a ROTT cigar without question. It doesn't need more time as the time for this cigar is now. Seldom does a cigar capture so perfectly everything you would want in a cigar. This a cigar I would want if stranded on a island and could only hope I had enough to last during my stay. I finally see what many have predicted would happen one day where a non Cuban cigar would beat a Cuban cigar.

Various photos 023

Comments

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    BlueRings:
    Epernay Le Ferme

My hesitation in rating this cigar is selfish at best because of such limited availibility. I made sure to secure myself a box of these ahead of this review.

PreLight

Between a corona and robusto size 48 x 5.25 with a reddish brown Cafe Rosado wrapper. Binder and filler of a combination of Criollo and Corojo tobaccos. A Prelight sweetness with a tea and earth note. Cut with a Cuban Crafter guillotine straight cut. Toasted and lit with Xikar Axia.

First third

A light peppery note, almost bubbly tickle in the nose like champagne. Floral notes of hibiscus with a cedar and leather back note. A mouth feel of buttery toast with a malted sweetness in the back of the throat. Burn of a flaky silver grey ash with a razor sharp line.

Second third

Pepper fades into background and becomes so smooth you can retrohale 100%. A Cuban coffee back note on the follow through with a bit of cinnamon on the finish. Holding on to leather and cedar on the retrohale. Also noting anise on the tongue with a cherry note in the back of the throat.

Final third

Cherry note has moved to the retrohale and the cigar leaves me with a light feel on tongue. My palate does not feel overworked leaving me wanting more. Cedar and leather hanging on and never overwhelms or disappates. Every note playing off each other with a complexity not found in many cigars. This is a strong medium and does not change through out the stick. Flavors of leather, cedar, cherry, tea sweetness, creamy butter remain and add to the complexity and longevity of the flavors.

Final thoughts:
    This is a ROTT cigar without question. It doesn't need more time as the time for this cigar is now. Seldom does a cigar capture so perfectly everything you would want in a cigar. This a cigar I would want if stranded on a island and could only hope I had enough to last during my stay. I finally see what many have predicted would happen one day where a non Cuban cigar would beat a Cuban cigar.

Various photos 023

Where do I sign up, I mean where can I get one or two, okay a box lol.

Nice review, I'm sold on it.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    PM to you RCY. Dont buy them all, I may need another box.image
    Lol, I'll think about it. You have to learn to share the wealth after spilling the beans....
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Had one a few weeks ago. It was very good.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    Had one a few weeks ago. It was very good.
    +1! I enjoyed it as well. Good review on it!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I can't allow myself to buy a box...I'd be lamenting my empty box inside of three months, possibly two. Love this cigar.
    RCY Cigars:
    Lol, I'll think about it. You have to learn to share the wealth after spilling the beans....
    Im as toy possessive as the family dog.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    These are among my favorite cigars out there right now... and AMAZING with a glass of Champagne
  • MarmicoMarmico Posts: 93
    Just ordered a box based off of this review, they just sounded too good to pass up! They should get in tomorrow, I can't wait!
  • MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Someone needs to send me one of these....
    Marmico:
    Just ordered a box based off of this review, they just sounded too good to pass up! They should get in tomorrow, I can't wait!
    Color me jealous. I really want to get a box of Epernay, but a few things keep me from it, not knowing which size for one, no room for two and the third being a matter of finances, just can't drop that much on a box right now...but one of these days I'll get my box.
    j0z3r:
    Marmico:
    Color me jealous. I really want to get a box of Epernay, but a few things keep me from it, not knowing which size for one, no room for two and the third being a matter of finances, just can't drop that much on a box right now...but one of these days I'll get my box.
    You want we should talk about a box split?
    Russ55:
    j0z3r:
    Marmico:
    Perhaps in a few weeks, need to get my bills straight and see where I'm at. I want to see what kind of pricing ccom comes out with too.
    j0z3r:
    Russ55:
    j0z3r:
    Marmico:
    Perhaps in a few weeks, need to get my bills straight and see where I'm at. I want to see what kind of pricing ccom comes out with too.
    Me too. I'm in no rush. Let me know, no pressure.
  • MarmicoMarmico Posts: 93
    j0z3r:
    Marmico:
    I'm pretty excited to get them, they're supposed to come in today! I really shouldn't have bought them, but I've heard nothing but good news, and I cleared out some room in my humidor. If I get a second box anytime soon I would gladly consider a trade! I'm gonna age most of these though, if I can keep out of them. ;)
    Thanks BlueRings you were right and now I have a box....
    RCY Cigars:
    Thanks BlueRings you were right and now I have a box....

I am glad to hear you like them so well. They are amazing in my book and I can say that they are my over all favorite stick. Matter a fact I think this deserves to light one up!
  • j0z3r gave me one of these last month while were mini-herfing and I've got it resting in my 50 count on the coffee table. Every time I open it I'm afraid to look at the Epernay for fear of setting it on fire. It's been built up so much that I want to make sure I'm having just a fantastic day before I light it up so it gets a fair shake (and also if it lives up my wallet will become thin and frail).

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    BlueRings:
    Epernay Le Ferme

PreLight

First third

Second third

Final third

Final thoughts:

Various photos 023
    So I took Kuzi's advice and do a search and find this piece of gold. Had one yesterday and man I would have smoked it earlier had a read this review first. Absolutely a great smoke. Especially the second third bit. Everything I wanted to say and I am kind of proud of my palate because for the first time I noticed the cherry flavor that has been described here. The only thing I would chip in is that I noticed a slight bit more pepper than reported here especially in the second third. Almost like a sweet heat (think BBQ sauce), not in taste but in build up on the lips.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    This cigar is a solid #2 in my favorites. I love all the flavors and how smooth it is all the way to the nub. I wish I could afford the 50ct box.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The review makes me automatically think San Cristobal...

I have one of these (graciously sent by RCY Cigars!) and I can't wait to smoke it!

for those of you have smoked both, is there any real comparison in the experience of the cigars, or do they just have similar tasting notes?
    BigT06:
    The review makes me automatically think San Cristobal...

I have one of these (graciously sent by RCY Cigars!) and I can't wait to smoke it!

for those of you have smoked both, is there any real comparison in the experience of the cigars, or do they just have similar tasting notes?

Some may argue but the biggest difference I noticed is Epernay is much more complex and refined. The Cristobal is an awesome and obviously a DPG blend. The Elegance is very close but still losing in the strength of the wrapper. The Corojo wrapper on the Le Ferme makes this cigar. It is rich and satisfying. This is still my favorite non-cuban. I am going to smoke a Le Ferme tonight to reassert this. I smoked an Elegance last night so it is fresh on my mind and a good time to do a side by side.
  • MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    This is one of my favorite cigars.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    MonteWhite:
    This is one of my favorite cigars.
    This. I like all of the sizes I've had though. Looking forward to the box pressed torp.