Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gurkha Crest?

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
I was looking at a deal on the other site, a Gurkha Crest, Gurkha Titan, and a 5er of choice. I was looking at possibly getting 4 of these deals, to give me an entire box of MBIII's. My question is, how is the Gurkha Crest? I do like the Titan quite a bit, haven't tried the Crest and I've read mixed reviews. What say you, BOTLs of the forum?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I like the crest. I cannot remember what exactly it tastes like but I do remember liking it. I have one left and I haven't touched it. I keep wanting to light it up but have used my will power. I too enjoy the Titan 1 and I would say go a head and give this a pull. I mean if you like the Titan I don't see why you wouldn't like the Crest. It's a nice cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have one buried in the bottom of my aging humidor. for some reason i cant bring myself to smoke it. i have about 18 months on it. ive been disappointed by many of the gurkhas i have had as of late and this is one i have not had before. its a huge cigar and i dont wanna not like it. maybe some day.
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    kuzi16:
    its a huge cigar and i dont wanna not like it. maybe some day.
    HA really? i had one about a week ago and threw it out the window with not even half smoked because i didn't like it...I wish i had known that it was a nice one
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I have one resting, now I'm curious.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    ellinas:
    kuzi16:
    HA really? i had one about a week ago and threw it out the window with not even half smoked because i didn't like it...I wish i had known that it was a nice one
    yeah... this was supposed to be another one of Gurkha's super high end ones that was originally $20 a stick.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ellinas:
    kuzi16:
    yeah... this was supposed to be another one of Gurkha's super high end ones that was originally $20 a stick.
    lol, yeah, like any gurkha, it's not worth the "price". Though I might pay 20 for a beauty...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    ellinas:
    kuzi16:
    lol, yeah, like any gurkha, it's not worth the "price". Though I might pay 20 for a beauty...
    id pay 15 for a centurian but that is the most id pay for any gurkha at this point.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I really want to know what the verdict on the crest is, i wish someone would post something on it. I'm seeing its name come up quite frequently. The only ghurka i ever fell in love with was the legend. (Disclaimer: There are a few of his original "even expensive at sale price" cigars i still havent tried yet like beauty/best/titanI)

Edit: I have had the centurian, and its good, but believe it or not, i like the legend more.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I could definitely see that. The Legend and Centurian are about on par for me, but I do enjoy the Royal Brigade more than the other two.

The main reason I posed this question to begin with was due to price. I found 5-packs of the MBIII's for like $20, whereas this deal would have netted me a 5er of MBIII's, a Crest, and a Titan for $35. But now that deal on the MBIII's by themselves has gone from $20 to $60 with no warning, so it looks like if I want the 20 MBIII's, this is the best way to do it short of trying to get a really good deal on a bid site.
  • Options
    Vidarien:
    I really want to know what the verdict on the crest is,
    i think ill review the one i have. now tat they can be found on the cheap i dont feel as bad smoking it. i thinki i have a bit over 18 months on it. ill have to check.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got two of the crest. I'm gonna rest them for a while before I fire one up.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    kuzi16:
    Vidarien:
    i think ill review the one i have. now tat they can be found on the cheap i dont feel as bad smoking it. i thinki i have a bit over 18 months on it. ill have to check.

Im very much looking forward to this review, you're quite discerning in your reviews and I get a great idea of what to expect.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    kuzi16:
    Vidarien:
    I thought the Crest was a new release, like within the last 6 months or so. I got 2 at Christmas in a sampler then picked up a 10 pack in the Warfare deal. Man I hope I like this thing!
  • Options
    dwayne3307:
    kuzi16:
    Vidarien:
    I thought the Crest was a new release, like within the last 6 months or so. I got 2 at Christmas in a sampler then picked up a 10 pack in the Warfare deal. Man I hope I like this thing!
    nope... its been out for a while. i think 2009 was the year it came out. they, like most Gurkha cigars, were supposed to be super rare with only 250 boxes being made. i no longer think this is the case. im not sure if the less rare version (the one that you can find online for $35 a five pack) is the same blend as the newer version.
  • Options
    ok ... the Crest came out in April of 2008
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ok ... the Crest came out in April of 2008
    i have got to be wrong about this.... the one in my humidor says its from march of 08... damn.
  • Options
    As I'm pretty new to the cigar scene I can't give any kind of in detail review of the Crest, but the one I smoked was ok, but seemed to have a really tight draw. I don't know if this was because of that one cigar, my cut or just how it smokes.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    ellinas:
    kuzi16:
    Just tried my first one of these, and Ive got to with ellinas on this one. Didnt get past the first third before I let it go out. Constant burn issues from jump, couldnt correct them, taste was bitter and HORRIBLE besides that... cant even think of what to call the flavor profile except BLEECH! Big disappointment, aka typical Gurkha. LOL

• Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    The Sniper:
    ellinas:
    kuzi16:
    Just tried my first one of these, and Ive got to with ellinas on this one. Didnt get past the first third before I let it go out. Constant burn issues from jump, couldnt correct them, taste was bitter and HORRIBLE besides that... cant even think of what to call the flavor profile except BLEECH! Big disappointment, aka typical Gurkha. LOL

Disappointing. I have one resting in my humidor. I hope mine isn't as much of an upset.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Dont judge it by my experience bro, I may have just had a bum stick or something. AND I will be the first to admit I am generally biased against Gurkha products to begin with, so go into it with an open mind. And make sure to come back here and post what you thought about it! :-)

• Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    The Sniper:
    Dont judge it by my experience bro, I may have just had a bum stick or something. AND I will be the first to admit I am generally biased against Gurkha products to begin with, so go into it with an open mind. And make sure to come back here and post what you thought about it! :-)

I'll be sure to keep that in mind! I try to experience everything with no expectations and an open mind. As I have yet to smoke a Ghurka, I think I can do that with ease. Maybe I'll light that one up next :)
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    That's pretty wild that everyone here seems to dislike the Crest. I honestly like it. I got 10 from the g warfare deal several months ago. I've smoked about 3 of em so far. To this point, every single one of them has burned perfectly, tasted good, and smoked for a looooooong time (around 2 hrs).

I keep mine in my wettest humidor (70-72%), and every time I've had one I've taken it straight out of the humi with no "drying time" out of the cello before lighting. I don't remember what the exact tastes I got out of them were, but I do remember that I cut the end quite generously, and that the cigar prefered a very slow light with a lot of toasting, and a long draw with gradually increasing strength thru the draw.

but that's not "odd" to me, because that's how a typically will draw a cigar with that slow of a combustion. I guess either I've been lucky, or maybe next time you try one, slow down a bit...?

either way, good luck to you if you have one, I hope yours are enjoyable, as mine were.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried many gurkahs seems like they have an awful lot different kinds but of the ones I've tried the only ones I've liked were the empire series. I had one tasted so bad I threw it out the car window on the 3rd draw.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    To me the crest was A big disappointment. Burn issues was the major problem but I felt the flavors were A bit overrated. Seemed to be overly simplistic and drab. Of Course this is only my opinion. Perhaps I received bad cigars. I hope others have A better experience than I did.