Home Cigar 101

One More Cigar Noob

Hello Folks!

I am new to the enjoyment of cigar smoking.  I have tried to educate myself as much as possible (web) on the nuances of cigars.  I came here to try and get some help with some of my questions.  Of course - I thank all in advance for the assistance.

First - I am looking into purchasing a humidor.  I have looked all over the net and have seen all types of humidors at vastly different pricing levels (sites like cigar.com to ebay).  What is a good humidor for a beginner that is looking at 100 cigar capacity?  I know that much of the price of the humidor has to do with wood/craftsmanship.  For now - I want a nice looking humidor that is going to last me a while.  I called up an online retailer and a couple of suggested brands (in my price range of $100) were Quality and Madelaine (toscanna and versailles / rembrandt and old world).  The ebay adds confuse me, because it seems to me many of those retailers keep their costs down because they say that "they make for themselves" and that they are not completely spanish cedar lined.  I am thinking that I need a completely spanish cedar-lined humidor.  Am I correct in my thinking?  Any suggestions on humidors (with your seal of approval) would be greatly appreciated.

Another concern/want that I have would be what is a good budget stick ($1-$3) a stick that I can have as a daily smoke.  I know that this is much a personal preference here.  As I type, I am puffing on a Quorum.  To me, these are not bad, however, I am thinking that their quality control is a little spotty.  Some do well, however this one I am smoking might be blocked (resistance in drawing).  Other than going to the local smoke shops and picking up a number of different low-price stogies, is there any way to get a "budget" sampler?  For what it is worth, in the area that I am in (metro detroit northeast) it seems to me that all the folks that work the smoke shops have no idea about cigars - they just stock a humidor and take your money.

As far as cigars, overall, what is the best way to expose oneself to as many brands/cigars as possible?  Cigar of the month club?  I go into some of these humidors and there are so many options (and so little money - at least as far as not pissing the wife off)...

Lastly - is there any good way to smoke in the house without polluting the rest of the house?  Do I need to seal off a room and install a fan that vents directly outside?  Are the air cleaners that are available any good (or just gimmicky)?  I'd like to create a man-cave and not need to smoke in the garage (it is cold outside!).

I know that my post is scattered in many directions.  I appreciate whatever help that the "expert" cigar afficianados can give a novice like me!

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

addressing the smokes only section of your post i would highly reccommend the c.com house blends sampler as a way to see where your taste's are going to lean to. then you will have an idea what to look at when cigar shopping.

addressing the smokes only section of your post i would highly reccommend the c.com house blends sampler as a way to see where your taste's are going to lean to. then you will have an idea what to look at when cigar shopping . welcome aboard and hopefully you will enjoy / learn from this forum- its a good place for lots of info on a range of subjects.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Finding a humi is really a personal thing.. CCom has some nice choices however I wasn't able to find one here that suited my needs. If you search around I'm sure you'll find something. Just be sure to read reviews of the humi you're picking as some are really crapily built.

As far as cigars, the cigar.com sampler is a good start. I say this because it has pretty much most of the types of cigars out there as far as strength is concerned. Though it won't be 100 percent right, as I like a mild smoke sometimes but pretty much stay to the more full/medium bodied smokes. I love the red label from Ccom. Chateau Real by drew estate is a good cigar for a mild smoke, creamy and yummy. For a stronger smoke a partagas black label would be a nice on to try, more of a full bodied cigar.

Smoking in the house, that's a toughy. I know my wife would kill me, so I smoke in the garage or outside. I wish I could smoke inside, especially when I'm on my 360 for hours. Though if you really want too, there are a number of great smoke purifiers out there. I can't think of any off the top of my head but do a google search on it, and you'll find a couple. I hear they are really good, they have some made just for cigars. They can go up to about 300 or so dollars for a good one that will cover a fairly good size area. Also Ionic Breezes seem to work but for the price I'd go for an actual cigar smoke cleaner.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I would suggest a 5 Vegas sampler. Trust me, you will like them alot better than a Quorum.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Cigar noob - I do like your veracity. I smoke in the garage with the door open... and the wife still ....screams "It's is getting through the door" - smoke knows a little kung fu...

I just wouldn't buy many boxes until your palate develops- I fell in love quickly with Irish hops by drew estate - purchased a couple of boxes - and now I am haveing trouble smoking them. My taste moved to a fuller body, spicier kind of smoke, The sampler packs are a nice way to get acclimated to what you I like - without over committing to one thing....

I am looking for a 250 count humi - so if you run into something special let me know.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wrobo:
    I am looking into purchasing a humidor.  I have looked all over the net and have seen all types of humidors at vastly different pricing levels (sites like cigar.com to ebay).  What is a good humidor for a beginner that is looking at 100 cigar capacity?  I know that much of the price of the humidor has to do with wood/craftsmanship.  For now - I want a nice looking humidor that is going to last me a while.  I called up an online retailer and a couple of suggested brands (in my price range of $100) were Quality and Madelaine (toscanna and versailles / rembrandt and old world).  The ebay adds confuse me, because it seems to me many of those retailers keep their costs down because they say that "they make for themselves" and that they are not completely spanish cedar lined.  I am thinking that I need a completely spanish cedar-lined humidor.  Am I correct in my thinking?  Any suggestions on humidors (with your seal of approval) would be greatly appreciated.

ill send you a PM on this one.
    wrobo:

Another concern/want that I have would be what is a good budget stick ($1-$3) a stick that I can have as a daily smoke.  I know that this is much a personal preference here.  As I type, I am puffing on a Quorum.  To me, these are not bad, however, I am thinking that their quality control is a little spotty.  Some do well, however this one I am smoking might be blocked (resistance in drawing).  Other than going to the local smoke shops and picking up a number of different low-price stogies, is there any way to get a "budget" sampler?  For what it is worth, in the area that I am in (metro detroit northeast) it seems to me that all the folks that work the smoke shops have no idea about cigars - they just stock a humidor and take your money.

the cigar.com blends are good. la flor de oliva isnt bad. if you up your price slightly you can get into 5 vegas and the nub. ... not to mention some of the lower end fuentes.
    wrobo:

As far as cigars, overall, what is the best way to expose oneself to as many brands/cigars as possible?  Cigar of the month club?  I go into some of these humidors and there are so many options (and so little money - at least as far as not pissing the wife off)...

COTM is a good idea... buying whatever looks good is another
    the way i did it? the PIF (pay it forward thread) ya never know what you are gunna get
    wrobo:

Lastly - is there any good way to smoke in the house without polluting the rest of the house?  Do I need to seal off a room and install a fan that vents directly outside?  Are the air cleaners that are available any good (or just gimmicky)?  I'd like to create a man-cave and not need to smoke in the garage (it is cold outside!).

the orick filter is good but expensive...
    not many options here. my wife wont let me smoke inside either. find a local shop. smoke there in the winter months.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, I have been a "viewer" of these forums for quite a while now but not a poster however your post struck something in me that I just had to reply. All the people that post on this site have some great information and unbeknownst to then have helped me out alot so here is my way to pay back. I may be able to help you on the humidor if you haven't picked one up already. I have a 100-125 count that I have used for about a year and it works great, the problem with it however, it is just too small. I have been smoking cigars for the last 2 - 2 1/2 years and my "collection" has grown into the 400 - 500 range. Like everyone else says on the site, and no one believes IMO, you will grow out of it. Oh yeah, the helping you out part, if you PM me your address I will send it out to you, soon hopefully, and if you like it keep it and send me the cost of postage. 'Tis the CHRISTMAS season. If you do keep it and enjoy it, until you outgrow it, all I ask is that you do the same and send it onto the next budding enthusist. I will include a PARADIEM humidifier and will charge it before sending it out to you so it should be ready to go from day one. As far as finding the right cigar(s) for you, all I can tell you is to buy looks interesting to you. Todd
  • wrobowrobo Posts: 9
    Todd - I PM'd you... I would have loved to take advantage of your offer, but I picked up a Quality Treasure Dome (like Phobic) yesterday. I am a maximalist - so I never do anything small (as my wife can attest). My next planned act of maximalism will be the mastiff puppy I plan on getting the family (me) in the spring :-D Along with the humidor, I added the digital hygrometer option and bought the 50/50 cigar activator solution (bad Jeff). Because I do not want to spend anymore money, now, will this solution (sponge) work for me until the Christmas credit card gets paid off and I buy some beads. Also - today - I have a shipment of ~30 cigars coming from Cigar.com. What should I do with them while I wait for the humidor to come to conditioning equilibrium (yeah - acted before thinking about storage - sometimes the brain does that)? Rep from cheaphumidors said to get a clean sponge - soak it / wring it out - and put in a tupperware container with the cigars (opening the lid every other day to let out any excess humidity). Will this work? This board seems to have a bunch of really nice folks. Thanks to all for the help. Jeff
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Very generous Todd, very nice!!!
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I'm with Pheebs that was really a nice offer... Really really nice....
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looking to help a newbie get started with this wonderful hobby. If they can spend the $$$ on a few sticks rather than the humi, I think they will enjoy the hobby faster and we can get another one on our side to fight the big bad gov't and all their proposed anti-smoking laws. Will keep looking for another newbie to help out, hopefully in time for the Christmas season. Todd
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Todd is a man of few posts, but when he posts... people listen. That's some fine generosity, there, bandy.
    hell of a gesture
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Nicely done, sir.
  • wrobowrobo Posts: 9
    Hello All. My new humidor came in and I am in the process of seasoning it. I do have a slight issue with one of the humidifiers. They come with a magnet glued to the humidifier, and then a magnet to attach to the lid of the humidor (through some adhesive). The magnets that are attached to the humidifier itself are not sticking. My question - is it okay to use velcro in the humidor without introducing any scents/odors to the humidor. I am thinking that it is probably okay - I am just making sure. In calibrating the hygrometer - I ordered the seasoning kit and the digital upgrade. Does it take a while for the humidity in the bag to get up to a 75% level. When I stuck it in the bag 3 hours ago, it read 18%. It is now reading 20% (gained ~2% in a few hours). Directions state wait 24-36 hours before adjusting calibration. I got a freebie lighter with the humidor purchase (diesel brand/model). I now know why they throw in freebies;-) My $2 torch from the local guy works much better than the throw-in. Lastly - thanks to all the folks that provided input in the "how to light a cigar" thread. I used the technique of toasting, blowing out, then starting to smoke from that point. The few lights that I have done with this technique has produced a much more even burn - imo. Take care all! Jeff
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont attach anything to the lids anymore. they always fall off. no point in my mind....

sticky velcro is fairly safe to use. no smells at least. when using that in my first humidor the puck fell off the lid and hit the cigars below. the impact itself wasnt the problem but the water that dripped out when it fell was.

when calibrating the hygrometer i always leave it in the bag AT LEAST over night... usually 36 hours or so.