Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Awesome Story

ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
So I was one of the guys who was affected by the cigarfest server outage and couldn't get tickets. I was disgruntled when it happened as I came into work over an hour early as so that I'd be ready to go and not miss out on it. Well I now know why it happened. I'm a religious man who is very spiritual and believes everything happens for a reason.

Sat morning my gf looks at me and says I know what I wanna get you for your bday. Livingsocial's groupon on Sat was a ticket to the Richmond Nascar Race on Apr 30th, the same day as cigarfest. I'm a lifelong Nascar Fanatic who grew up 30 min from a track. I then see the name of the race. It's the Matthew and Daniel Hansen 400 presented by Crown Royal. Daniel was a good friend of mine who gave his life in service to this country 14 Feb 2009 in Afghanistan. Daniel was an EOD Tech. He's one of the greatest men I ever had the privilege of calling my friend and serving with. Matthew has done 3 deployments himself. Needless to say that solidified me going to the race.

I also get a nice 3 lap pace car ride that morning. I can't begin to say how excited I am and how grateful I am that this race is in honor of my good friend. I'll be buying every piece of race memorabilia that they have there...lol Thought this was a cool story, hope you guys enjoyed it.

Comments

• Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    That is more than cool. Shows the respect of not only yourself for going. But of NASCAR making that happen for a fallen soldier. I'm not a big sports fan of NASCAR or Wrestling. But I do appreciate and respect both sports for recognizing soldiers and applying some of their wealth not only for entertainment but for health care also. While deployed to Iraq twice, both organizations made a great effort to support and entertain soldiers in Iraq.
  • Options
    We had the Redskins cheerleaders come on Thanksgiving to our FOB and then one other time we had some retired Vikings player and a few of their cheerleaders come. It was really cool for them to be there. One of the Redskins cheerleaders story was quite amazing. Her husband was a Marine who gave his life in Iraq and she was there on her 3rd USO tour since.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very awesome story...that track is about 15min from my house. I have been to the spring races the past 3-4 years...enjoy it bro.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    You said that's in Richmond, VA???? If so, my wife and I are there!!! Richmond is about 1.5 hrs away and I'll gladly show up in support of this. Plus my girl is a big NASCAR fan.
  • Options
    It is in Richmond. The race isn't sold out yet. If you guys get tickets let me know and we'll have to meet up down there and herf!
  • Options
    Hell even if i dont buy a ticket for the race...we could still have some pre-race fun. Although the track is 15min from my house..on race day it could take over an hour for me to get there...maybe we can set something up
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Talked to the wife about it. She'd like to go but I have to see if a coworker of mine who lives in Richmond can watch our daughter for a little while. That'll be the key to us going.
  • Options
    Sounds good man, just let us know.

Smoke em that def sounds good bro! We will have to try and get together and light one up in Daniel's honor!
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    Sounds good man, just let us know.

Smoke em that def sounds good bro! We will have to try and get together and light one up in Daniel's honor!

works for me bro.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic! I hope you enjoy the day immensely.

I too will miss Cigarfest this year, my son is getting married. His wedding won out! Just kidding, I can't wait to see him walk down the isle and start his married life.

His fiancee is an absolute doll and she too is a Captain in the Army. Actually, for a while she outranked him untill he made Captain. I told him to get used to it, your wife always outranks you!

Stay well and again, thanks for serving.
  • Options
    Thanks! and congrats to your son!