Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 Vegas Gold....WTF

I just recieved a ten pack of the 5 vegas gold.  I have read reviews on here about how good they were and I felt good about my purchase.  I'm a relativly new smoker and this was the first real mild cigar that i've had.  I got to say it kinda sucked.  From the start it had an uneven burn, and i had to pull so hard I thought i was gonna suck my face inside out, around the halfway point I had a headache from pulling so hard with minimal smoke, then the friggin wrapper started coming undone.  The las third I gotta say wasn't to bad, the flavor was good.  I am wondering if this was just a bad stick or if others have experienced this misfortune.  I got to get through 9 more of these?!?!

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was plugged. What vitola is it? I've never had a construction issue with any 5 Vegas stick that I can recall (knock on wood). Most people's knock on the Gold is that it's too mild. I personally like it when I'm in the mood for something mild and think it has some pretty good flavors. I would wager it was a bad stick.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Might just be a bad stick. I really enjoy the 5 Vegas Gold. I actually keep a few always in the box. They can't hit a homerun every time, and every line of production has its miss fires. Maybe you got one of those. I had a stick rolled by a company that prides itself on the consistancy of their draw. Over that conversation, I sampled one of thier sticks and it was like sucking on a McDy's milkshake! Funny that it happened at that moment. I got a second stick and it was much better. You might end up really enjoying the 5 Vegas Gold! I know I do.
  • Options
    i am a big 5 vegas fan but the gold i do not like it is to mild for me to where i just can enjoy it.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess it was bad. When I tried the gold I wasn't impressed, but I didn't have any of the struggles you're talking about. I much preferred the classic, that was plenty mild for me and had better flavor, IMO.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I thought the Gold was an OK stick, but a bit too mild for my tastes. I like the classic as a mild stick much better. Construction/draw/burn on the Golds I've had have been fine, and yours is likely a bum stick.

Though I used to struggle through issues like that in the past I've found my cigar experience has been much better since I stopped. I'll touch up burns, do an extra cut or two for draws or poke a plug but if it doesn't fix itself with minimal effort and is impacting my experience I chuck the sucker and light up something else.

If you find the whole 10 pack having this issue give your rep a call.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    doromath:
    Though I used to struggle through issues like that in the past I've found my cigar experience has been much better since I stopped. I'll touch up burns, do an extra cut or two for draws or poke a plug but if it doesn't fix itself with minimal effort and is impacting my experience I chuck the sucker and light up something else.
    Yep, me too. I don't fight them anymore. If the draw sucks, I'm done, I get another one. The idea of finishing a cigar no matter how bad it is just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'm smoking a cigar to relax, not be annoyed.
  • Options
    adrosadros Posts: 216
    that I agree with. I too had the classic, it was great. Will give the golds another try or give them to my buddy. thanks for the feedback. peace
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call CCOM, assuming you bought it here, some cigars are just flukes, they've always replaced bad sticks for me. I kind of don't care for the Gold Maduro, but the Gold is usually ok, I've had some that needed a month or two to flavor up, but rarely any issues like you describe.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    adrosadros Posts: 216
    I did buy it here in a pick two sampler, i havn't tried another but I will definatly give 'em another whirl.
  • Options
    MessickMessick Posts: 86
    I purchased some a while back. Tried it within a few days after I got it. I was not impressed. I let them rest for two months and now they are a good stick. Had one last week and I was very pleased.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Have not tried the Gold but I am a fan of the Gold Maduro...very good flavor. Yeah sounds like a bad stick for sure. My first Diesel was the same...2nd one was great so it happens.
  • Options
    ctschirgictschirgi Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Having smoked 3 boxes of 5 Vegas Gold in the Robusto size I believe I have begun to see a downward trend in their quality. 5 Vegas Gold has been a top seller on CCOM and its sister site for quite some time. I think the demand is putting pressure on the quality. I have noticed this less in the draw and more in the wrapper quality. My last box the wrapper was paper thin and very prone to tearing or cracking. The cap looked pretty rough too. Still a good cigar, but as we saw in the 90's heavy demand can cause a dip in quality.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    You didn't smoke them before letting them acclimate for at least a week or two in your humidor did you?
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    With anything that is hand-made by hundreds (or more) different sets of hands you're bound to get some variety in quality no matter how much quality control is in place, it's just a fact of hand-made products.

This happens to lots of different cigars, it won't be your last. Usually it's just a bum stick and the rest are fine. Wait until you have this experience with a cigar you threw down for, that hurts.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    This happens to lots of different cigars, it won't be your last. Usually it's just a bum stick and the rest are fine. Wait until you have this experience with a cigar you threw down for, that hurts.
    That reminds me of early on when I picked up cigars. I had bought a single Partagas Black torpedo from cigar.com, with a handful of other maduros, and couldn't bring myself to smoke it, it just looked too good. So there it sat in my humidor and I looked at it every time I opened the lid. Finally after 6 or 8 months, I finally worked up the nerve to smoke it...and the damn thing was plugged. Damn near broke my heart.
  • Options
    bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    5 vegas golds are my favorite cigar. I have not had a bad one yet, except for the nuggets. They just aren't as smooth as the larger sizes. What size were they? If you want to get rid of them, I'll take them :)
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I just had one, and I still really like this cigar. Last January I picked up a box of the toros for 30 bucks on the DD. I usually smoke fuller, and pricier sticks, but every once in a while I have one of these. Usually after I haven't had a cigar in a long time. Not something I smoke a lot of, and for the most part it's a hand out stick for me, but still something I like to keep around. It's a good, solid stick.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Not a big fan of the Gold but did like the Gold Maduro
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Have never had a Problem with a 5 vegas GOld stick........ Much more Mioled than i like anymore buty occasionaly its nice for Breakfast!
  • Options
    long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    fla-gypsy:
    Not a big fan of the Gold but did like the Gold Maduro
    Agreed. I really don't like the gold or the classic but I thought the gold maduro was awesome. I love the penn. broadleaf wrapper and nicaraguan tobacco combination. Another one that is awesome is the limitada 2010. Tripple A is good and cask strength is not bad either.
  • Options
    MarmicoMarmico Posts: 93
    I find the gold very enjoyable when I'm in the mood for a mild cigar. My only complaint about them has actually been the opposite, the draw always seems to be a little too loose. I do enjoy the flavor profile though, in the morning with a cup of coffee. And for the price, you can't beat them! (Sorry for starting a sentence with 'and'.)
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    The gold is a very mild cigar, but sometimes you are in the mood for a very mild smoke. Great first thing in the morning. Never had any burn issues with them, yet.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    kaelaria:
    You didn't smoke them before letting them acclimate for at least a week or two in your humidor did you?

<BR. Interesting, I had one for the first time today. Maybe, what he's saying is true. That cigar had been resting in my humidor since January and it was delightful. Mild yes, but very flavorful.