Home Cigar 101
Options

40ct Herf-a-Dor Modifacations

michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201 ✭✭
I’m hoping to get some input from everyone. I just recently bought a 40ct Herf-a-Dor, now I know it’s supposed to be for transporting and travel, but due to the nature of my job lugging around a humi isn’t a real possibility. Anyhow back to the point, I would like some ideas on what I can do to make it more like a regular humi without losing the protective qualities that a Herf-a-Dor offers.

Comments

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    you could buy thin cigar boxes and break/cut them down so the pieces fit in and line the walls. But honestly, I think you just leave it as is. Just make sure you have a 2 way humidification system that both absorbs and releases humidity automatically. Gel or Beads. Oh......and a good digital hygrometer
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    you could buy thin cigar boxes and break/cut them down so the pieces fit in and line the walls. But honestly, I think you just leave it as is. Just make sure you have a 2 way humidification system that both absorbs and releases humidity automatically. Gel or Beads. Oh......and a good digital hygrometer
    That should be fine. I use my little 10 count all the time and I just take any cedar wraps off cigars and put them in there.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:

+1 This is what I do for my 40 ct travel, Boveda packets.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Wood helps stabilize any tendency for RH swings and creates a more stable environment but it's effect on the flavor of a cigar is something that really takes a long time.

Since I doubt your cigars will be in there long enough to capitilize on this aspect I wouldn't worry about putting wood in there at all unless you're having difficulty maintaining a stable RH. With beads or boveda packs that shouldn't be a problem at all.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I have a few buddies that have them here with me in Afghanistan. From my take on things, this is what I would do if I bought the 40ct Her-a-dor. I'd use the Heartfelt beads with the perforated tubes. The beads run about $5, and the tubes are about $5 a piece. That way you could put one or two tubes on different levels of the foam. The foam is breathable. The tubes will only take up a cigar spot. I've seen some of the guys cutting the foam for the gel/bead jars. For the cedar, I'd use dividers from a humidor. Maybe a couple on the bottom and the sides. You can get various sizes online, just google humidor divider. Where the foam humidifier is attached to the lid, I'd replace it with a digital temp/hygrometer. That my friend...would be my 40ct herf-a-dor. Just my take on things. I'd try to leave the setup as whole as possible with out cutting into any part of the foam. I might eventually invest in one of these as I will always deploy being in the military. Its a great box and for $50 its well worth the investment!
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    We do sell a 40 ct herf. It's $49.95 it's not online but if you give me a call or email me I can take care of you.
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Oh wait I misread you. Yea I would go for a boveda or just some water pillows.
  • Options
    michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201 ✭✭
    thank you guys for some ideas. ill keep you guys updated with what i do and post some pics.